Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 9:39am
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

germantownrob Said:

I have the 4th best brewer around according to Gail and I couldn't be happier about it. I can make two different cups by using gold or paper, I can adjust the pre soak time to brew full pots of very fresh beans, and I can alter the flavors by adjusting brew temp, I like variety.

Posted November 15, 2012 link

Oh yeah?  Well I can best that.  I have the worst brewer around (the DeLonghi DCM900) and I couldn't be happier about it!  I use it numerous times a day for over 6 months now (I think), no issues whatsoever.  Got it for $49.  Maybe it will blow up tomorrow, only God knows.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DexD

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:02am

EricBNC Said:

What is the best auto drip brewer on the market? Seattle Coffee Gear sets out to find the answer by blind taste testing the Breville YouBrew, The Technivorm, The Bonavita, and the Behmor Brazen:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Interesting results from the gals in the Northwest.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

This is how EricBNC sets up the thread (please note the first sentence). He is then offended that people are calling him out on the fact that SCG testing cannot even begin to set "out to find the answer" because of the obvious, glaring and fatal flaw in the methodology and is now a step short of labeling everyone who points out the obvious as a Brazen 'shill'. Where exactly did EricBNC think this thread was going to go? Pointing out that the test as it was set up cannot meaningfully go about comparing the different brewers is hardly demanding the standards of a scientific journal.

Note: I do not own any of the brewers on the list.
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:26am

DexD Said:

Note: I do not own any of the brewers on the list.

Then what can you hope to add except a thank you for the enlightenment?

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Oh yeah?  Well I can best that.  I have the worst brewer around (the DeLonghi DCM900) and I couldn't be happier about it!  I use it numerous times a day for over 6 months now (I think), no issues whatsoever.  Got it for $49.  Maybe it will blow up tomorrow, only God knows.

Len

That one is capable, but I have you beat - I have a variable temp controlled brewer with the finest permanent filter ever to bless coffee gear  (not some cheap toss in gold tone filter) woven with 18/8 steel and fine enough to include 2 million pores - zero sediment, perfect control, and the cost was a couple bucks.

The Boneco - Beat that... : )

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:59am

EricBNC Said:

That one is capable, but I have you beat - I have a variable temp controlled brewer with the finest permanent filter ever to bless coffee gear  (not some cheap toss in gold tone filter) woven with 18/8 steel and fine enough to include 2 million pores - zero sediment, perfect control, and the cost was a couple bucks.

I looked up Boneco and came up with air filters ... what up with that?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
DexD

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:06pm

EricBNC Said:

Let's go back to the beginning of the thread:

1. You ask a question: what is the best brewer on the market?
  2. You note that SCG is setting out 'to find the answer' to 1; and,
  3. That these are interesting results.

My addition was very simple: 2 cannot answer 1 -- or address it in any meaningful way -- because the methodology is rather obviously flawed.  Forget the temperature, forget the calibration, pre-soak, etc...  Paper vs gold filter give completely different characteristics to the cup, no matter the brewer so what we have here is a simple case of apples vs oranges.    

3 is only satisfied unless 'interesting' points to highly flawed methodology.  Or maybe it is Gail's filter preferences that are interesting.  It's not pedantic to point this out, nor does it make anyone a shill.
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:10pm

EricBNC Said:

Yeah, this looks like a Brazen killer:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:54pm

ScottLush Said:

The funny thing is that even though I've enjoyed a Technivorm I always go back to an Aeropress.  Something really simple and easy about it!

I really enjoy the Aeropress with a fine DISK too, but when I wake up in the morning and need to make a pot of coffee to support four coffee drinkers rushing off to school and work, the Brazen comes out on top.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 1:01pm

cafedj Said:

Yeah, this looks like a Brazen killer:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Not quite enough plastic to give me that "Revell" finish in the cup I so cherish....

"Mmmmmm... You can really taste the styrene."

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 1:11pm

frcn Said:

Not quite enough plastic to give me that "Revell" finish in the cup I so cherish

You are right though, my 2nd hand Boneco probably would only come in third place if it was included in the SCG taste test, just ahead of the YouBrew since the exacting parameters needed (hot water and ground coffee) couldn't possibly be recreated by Gail and Kat. I mean, except for having an extremely successful and popular business selling coffee related gear what do they know?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:50pm

EricBNC Said:

what do they know?

As someone who has seen every single one of their videos, I have to say that they pretty much know nothing about how to properly make a cup of coffee. You WOULD think that with their popular business and "fame" that they would be experts. But I mean..just a few months ago they gave a "review" of the Chemex using V60 filters! They didn't even know that Chemex filters are what makes the Chemex method special.

And don't get me started on Gail's version of the pour-over. Ever seen her pre-infusion? She likes to use the "slightly wet the very top of the center of the grounds while leaving everything completely high and dry method". A scale? Pshh...who needs one when you can EYE it as well as she does?

I'm not trying to rag on them since I DO enjoy their videos...but it should be obvious to any coffee enthusiast after watching a few of their videos that they have no interest in researching their products and how to use them properly.
showing page 5 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.450661182404)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+