Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best auto drip brewer on the market?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 4:54pm
Subject: Re: Best auto drip brewer on the market?

Wow, that's a really poorly written review.  It describes the machine as both a 10 cup coffee maker and a semi-automatic espresso maker.  Looks like it's just an affiliate site for someone (maybe a new CG member) to make money off of.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 5:31pm

yakster Said:

Wow, that's a really poorly written review.  It describes the machine as both a 10 cup coffee maker and a semi-automatic espresso maker.  Looks like it's just an affiliate site for someone (maybe a new CG member) to make money off of.

Posted November 14, 2012 link

WHOIS:  delonghikmix.com
http://www.whois.com/whois/delonghikmix.com

Name.........: Ivan Rajkovic
PostAddress..: 17.Oktobar 126
PostCode.....: 11090
PostArea.....: Beograd
Country......: RS
Phone........: +381.646355918

CG member info geeekygeek:
Name:  Branko Rajkovic

Same last name for both.  Related no doubt.

==========

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:25pm

As soon as there is another drip brewer that has temperature control as precise as the Brazen and has programmable preinfusion and can be adjusted for altitude and can be recalibrated to compensate for electronic component drift we will be able to compare what machine is best.

How can any drip machine that is preset to some temperature and not adjustable compare to the Brazen? Does one brew temperature match every bland, and every roast, and every palate? That alone makes comparisons between the Brazen and other drip brewers part of the null set.

If you have a problem with your Delonghi, will Sr. Delonghi answer the phone to help you personally?

A friend came over and asked, "Do you have Delonghi?"
I said, "Yes, as a matter of fact. I have been told I do, but my wife is jealous and doesn't let me show it to anyone else."

;-P~

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:32pm

frcn Said:

How can any drip machine that is preset to some temperature and not adjustable compare to the Brazen?

I had to review the video to be sure, but it looks like they make a better cup of coffee according to that blind taste test.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
DexD

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:52pm

EricBNC Said:

I had to review the video to be sure, but it looks like they make a better cup of coffee according to that blind taste test.

Sure: except that to start with 2 of the brewers used a gold filter and 2 did not. And interestingly, 2 that came on top used the paper.  So what we can tell from this is that Gail prefers a paper filter. That's without going into the fact that Brazen can be dialed in to a greater extent and none of this was really addressed.  But the gold vs paper negates any findings all by itself, so that point isn't even that important. Now, as I noted, SCG videos are fun, but this one in particular certainly does not disprove frcn's conclusions.  

Having said that, there is still a place for a set it and forget it brewer. I'm still debating whether to get my parents the Technivorm, the Bonavita or the Brazen: the latter might be a bit too much to play with, not that there really is that much.
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:52pm

EricBNC Said:

Gail in fact did rate it the best. She gave points for being hot and took away points for fruit or in the coffee world, character in the cup. So if you want to hitch your horse to hot, bland coffee and claim to be a coffee expert Eric, then continue to saddle up with Gail.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 7:06pm

Where are all the Breville YouBrew users? None of them seem to mind coming in third...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 8:48pm

Thick seems to be an appropriate way to describe your position Eric and now the head fake. The review was poorly done, with poor controls and obvious bias as has been pointed out by others. Examples paper versus gold, hot as good, character as bad, with paper full bodied. You saw only the conclusion, got a spiker only to fail miserably by not looking at the video itself for content and clarity. It's obvious to others just not to you.
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 9:02pm

EricBNC Said:

The test in that video doesn't even begin to provide a meaningful answer to the question.  The same setup on each brewer?  It's nonsensical.  I've owned many brewers and each one requires tweaking grind and coffee/water ratio to get the best results because dispersion patterns, water temp, and steep times vary so much.  Besides the entire design concept of the Brazen is to allow customizing temp, pre-soak, altitude, plus the gold filter or paper option.  With so many possible variations using one configuration for testing what it's capable of is just blatantly absurd.

I'm sure they're nice ladies, but that's about as far from a serious comparison of brewers as you could get.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 9:08pm

According to the video I didn't fail miserably Mr Onthemoors. Since they sell all four brewers they likely have made quite a few cups in each model. The video is not meant to be a documentary of every cup ever made under every parameter for each brewer, but rather a short review of the the brewers used the same as they ship from their store.  

In the Behmore praises to heaven thread if you post that your wife who drinks it with cream wanted it black this morning all would join in a chorus of hallelujahs. Sure, Gail usually doesn't drink it straight but she knows what coffee tastes like - to question that is just silly.

showing page 3 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best auto drip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340070009232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+