Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 110 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 1:21pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

I prefer a longer pre-soak.

When I do a full pot and it almost overflows (you can see grounds right at the top of the filter and a bit beyond) …then, during cleanup,  when I run my hand underneath of the shower-head, it comes away with lottsa old grinds.  If I don't wipe them away they will surely wash into the next brew.

Maybe I'm being too particular …!!

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Brazen Plus
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 7:13am

I have one of the early Brazen units, never had any issues so far and it has worked great.

My question is how does the pre-soak operation work, when you put the carafe in place the valve under the filter basket is depressed allowing water flow so how can it perform a pre-soak?

*edit

From the Brazen manual:

Pre-Soak: This cycle allows you to determine how long a portion of the brewing water should rest on the grounds prior to
the staggered release of the remaining water. We have found the fresher the roast, the longer the pre-soak should be. This
allows for the “bloom” to rise and fall. Older roasts do not generally require as long of a time. Fresh roasts under 3 days
old may benefit from a pre-soak of 1 ˝ minutes. Roasts over 5 days old may not need a pre-soak longer than 30 seconds.
Pre-ground coffee can accept the default setting of 15 seconds.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 7:32am

The valve that allows water to flow is located inside the brewer (you cannot see it from the casing). The program instructs the valve to open and close during brewing. At the beginning of the cycle (pre-soak) the valve 'opens' and allows a little bit of water to soak the grinds and then it closes and the timer counts down the pre-set amount of pre-soak time. When that cycle is complete the valve proceeds to open and close in 15 second intervals to dispense the water until the brew cycle is complete.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 7:33am

LiferJuice Said:

I have one of the early Brazen units, never had any issues so far and it has worked great.

My question is how does the pre-soak operation work, when you put the carafe in place the valve under the filter basket is depressed allowing water flow so how can it perform a pre-soak?

Posted May 2, 2014 link

It's not exactly a pre-soak, rather a phased infusion. After the initial release of water from the reservoir, the water flow is stopped to allow the grinds to absorb the water uniformly and to allow the initial "bloom" which occurs with the initial water contact to subside. The fresher the coffee the more bloom there will be. Allowing the bloom to subside also prevents overflow of the grinds basket.

During the pre-soak phase water making it through the grinds bed will, indeed, flow into the carafe. The genius of the Brazen is that the phased infusion promotes optimal extraction of the coffee's flavor.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 7:21am

According to Behmor the Brazen holds 1.2L/8 cups/40 ounces of water, that works out to 5 oz/cup, I have always known a cup to be 8 oz.

I wonder why they consider 5 oz. a cup?
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 7:58am

LiferJuice Said:

According to Behmor the Brazen holds 1.2L/8 cups/40 ounces of water, that works out to 5 oz/cup, I have always known a cup to be 8 oz.

I wonder why they consider 5 oz. a cup?

Posted May 26, 2014 link

That's standard coffee-speak though, I think some manufacturers use 6oz and some (like my Yama Siphon) go by 4 oz cups.
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 7:26am

My luck has run out.

My Brazen developed the dreaded incomplete brew cycle, contacted Behmor customer support, luckily I have my trusty Technivorm as a back up.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 10:24am

LiferJuice Said:

My luck has run out.

My Brazen developed the dreaded incomplete brew cycle, contacted Behmor customer support, luckily I have my trusty Technivorm as a back up.

Posted June 19, 2014 link

I'm sure Behmor will resolve the issue to your complete satisfaction. I'm on my 4th unit since January 2013. Their customer service is outstanding. Let's hope the latest iteration gets it right.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 5:45pm

imsnowbear Said:

I'm sure Behmor will resolve the issue to your complete satisfaction. I'm on my 4th unit since January 2013. Their customer service is outstanding. Let's hope the latest iteration gets it right.

Did you get the Brazen + upgrade in yours?

LMWDP # 010
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 5:52pm

Prof Said:

Did you get the Brazen + upgrade in yours?

I don't know. I received my present unit about a month ago. Is there some way to tell the "plus" model? Peering into the drain orifice, there seems to be a different valve assembly. I'm hopeful that this one will last at least 6 months.
showing page 110 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377830982208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+