Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 109 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 5:44pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Thanks, The_Coffee_Guy... appreciate your reply as well as comments from others here in regards to the Brazen brewer. Going to try finding a model more recently manufactured. One of Brazen's listed online retailers (in Connecticut) states "Includes latest carafe spout upgrade" so hope those brewers are more current so as to avoid other problems posted here on earlier made units.
 View Profile Link to this post
1canuck2

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Clever Coffee Dripper,...
Drip: DeLonghi DCM900
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 7:52pm

I'll weigh my grounds next time I try a full pot, but I think its less than 66g I am using... (based on a ~24 second grind in my Vario on 10. I know a 15 second grind on 7 gives me 29g for pourover). But let me confirm...
Yes, I usually grind coarser the fuller the pot (10 when trying full pot, 9 when doing 4 cups water). My pre-soak is 90 seconds. I'll try bumping it to a full 2 mins.

Thanks for the input.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 9:00am

1canuck2 -

Regarding pouring, try the tip and press method.  Tip the carafe all the way up with the top vertical or past vertical, with the spout over the cup, and then press the button.  Works for me, get no dribbles or drops outside the cup.

Also, I leave the top unlocked to reduce the chance of vacuum holding water in the tank.  But some puddles remain, which I think is just due to the design of the tank.  It's relatively flat so water around the edges stays and doesn't all drain toward the hole.  If you're seeing the hole still submerged after the end of brewing then something's not right.
degreaser

Espresso: Rancilio Miss Audrey
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Capresso
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor, Poppery
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014, 11:21am

Hi - First post here.

I've been watching this machine with interest but I'm concerned regarding the QA issues.  Have they been resolved?  I have great well water albeit a bit hard.  I've never had any major scaling issues with any of my machines though.

I'm at 5500' MSL so the hottest water I'll get is around 203F but it would be great to be able to dial that in to my liking.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014, 2:16pm

Welcome to the forum.

I have had my BraZen for a year now.  It is one of the older models, yet none of the problems have appeared on my machine.

The newer models will already by fitted with the upgraded pouring-spout for the carafe, so that would not be a problem for you.

One thing I particularly like is the pre-soak cycle which deals with the bloom (foam) in fresh roast coffee.  I have never yet had the filter 'run over' and make a mess on the counter and floor.

A word of caution I can give you:  The BraZen (and every other brewer on the market) works best with a full pot.  That way, you get the correct brewing time.  for this reason, I use the BraZen when I need a full 1.2 litre urn …but not for a single mug.  Right-sizing is important.

Jerry
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014, 3:28pm

I've had my Brazen for a few months now and, though I can't comment on long-term reliability, it's been absolutely excellent.
It also comes with a two year warranty.

I tend to use a long presoak time as I figure that partially replicates a steeping method (like a French Press). Also, I roast my own coffee and it's mostly 3-8 days old when I brew it.
I usually make 6 cups, occasionally 4 and it's done well.

Anyway, the feature set  is ideal.
The manual drip feature is great if you occasionally use something like a French Press or a Handy Brew.

Regarding temperature, I usually use it at 200. Occasionally, I've had a coffee that was a little too bright and I wanted more bitter, so I turned it up to 203 or 204.
I wouldn't miss it if I couldn't go past 203.

I've had no problems with dripping or anything else.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2014, 4:06pm

JKalpin Said:

Welcome to the forum.

I have had my BraZen for a year now.  It is one of the older models, yet none of the problems have appeared on my machine.

The newer models will already by fitted with the upgraded pouring-spout for the carafe, so that would not be a problem for you.

One thing I particularly like is the pre-soak cycle which deals with the bloom (foam) in fresh roast coffee.  I have never yet had the filter 'run over' and make a mess on the counter and floor.

A word of caution I can give you:  The BraZen (and every other brewer on the market) works best with a full pot.  That way, you get the correct brewing time.  for this reason, I use the BraZen when I need a full 1.2 litre urn …but not for a single mug.  Right-sizing is important.

Posted April 20, 2014 link

Actually my experience is different. I have mine dialed in for 16 fl oz mugs, using 26 gms coffee, relatively finely ground (18 on the new Virtuoso.) Coffee is great. Makes it worth getting up in the morning. I think the Brazen will give you a great cup (after experimentation) no matter the brew size.

As far as the quality of the units, the complaints on this forum seem to have died down. I still would recommend using filtered/ softened water. A fresh Brita may be what you need.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 4:18pm

The Brazen Plus is coming soon, but here is a type of pot that Behmor will be selling for the Brazen for those who want it.  

I think that brewing tea will also be a possibility with it.  The exact size might be different, according to Joe.

The new valve and filter look to be more robust than the originals.

Prof: Brazen with optional carafe 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

LMWDP # 010
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 4:31pm

Will be interesting to see the differences
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 6:13pm

My BraZen chugging' along, singing' a song. Well, making great coffee!
No issues here either. I actually prefer a shorter pre-soak once my coffee is past the 4 day mark, usually about 45 seconds, otherwise the brew strength is not quite where I like it.
I probably use less grind then most here, 0n average 58 grams for the 1.2l pot. I figure maybe 30 grams of water remain, thus not 60 grams of coffee. Probably a bit geeky there. LOL

It's a great brewer.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 109 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298067092896)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+