Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
The deception of "short brew times" and the smell of burnt rubber
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The deception of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Perked
Perked
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 8:42am
Subject: The deception of "short brew times" and the smell of burnt rubber

Hi!

This is about the lower end models you find in big box stores. On a few models, I see one of the features advertised is "shorter brew times" or "faster brewing".

Now, from what I understand from lurking around here, is that this does NOT mean better coffee. In fact, I prefer a slower brew because I like a stronger coffee and I get more bang for my buck, so to speak.

So, I think this is one of those things that the average consumer is sold as being a benefit (for convenience), but not necessarily a good feature to have if you are seeking a great cup of coffee.

I hate that kind of advertising.

Now, my experiences so far:

I bought a coffee maker recently (low end model). I liked it. It had this water filter that supposed to filter out chlorine. Was never sure it actually did anything until I exchanged it for another one. See, that model just stopped working one day. So, I decided to try a different model out from a different maker.

This one, has that dreaded burnt rubber smell after running hot water through it... and, more importantly (to me lol), is that is makes a horrible cup of coffee. Yes, my beans are at the end of their life, but after smelling the burnt rubber, I can't get the "taste" out of my mind.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Some cheaper quality products have this. I've heard some shower heads do this too (hot water makes a smell similar to burnt rubber).

So, I'm going back to get the last model I had. Not only do I want to improve the taste, but I am also concerned about what kidn of toxins I am ingesting.
 View Profile Link to this post
Perked
Perked

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 2:39pm
Subject: Re: The deception of "short brew times" and the smell of burnt rubber

Ok so judging from another topic I've read here - that this kind of topic wouldn't even be well received because the majority of you would never opt for such low quality to begin with. So, with that, I guess I am not surprised.

But in regards to my fast drip vs slow drip question - any feedback on this?
johnnyb3

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 4:14pm

Perked Said:

Ok so judging from another topic I've read here - that this kind of topic wouldn't even be well received because the majority of you would never opt for such low quality to begin with. So, with that, I guess I am not surprised.

But in regards to my fast drip vs slow drip question - any feedback on this?

Posted November 13, 2012 link

Hi and welcome.

I am not the best person to answer in terms of specifics, because I don't own a drip machine, but speaking generally I agree with your statement -- really short brew times are not ideal for good coffee. (Really long is not good either :) I think the auto-drip folks on this site tend to shoot for somewhere in the 5-to-6-minute range for a batch, but honestly I don't know whether that refers to total time from flipping the switch to full carafe or what. You may want to look for topics on the "Technivorm," just because that's a popular drip machine and there will likely be a discussion of brew times in there somewhere.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 5:03pm

What is your budget for the machine?  Why do you prefer a drip machine? Is it ease of use, what you know, or availability?  There are other, much better affordable methods if price is the only consideration.  If you just want to set a timer on a machine, that could be more difficult but we still might be able to help.
Insomniac20k

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: Capresso thing
Drip: I'm not an animal
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:49pm

I don't know what kind of voodoo they're using to control brew times, however if it's a cheap coffee maker I would be willing to bet neither machine is getting the water hot enough to make good coffee. Take a meat thermometer and brew a pot of water and measure it. It should be between 190-200ish for best results.

But never fear, I'm good at this good coffee on a budget thing and I'm willing to pass my knowledge down to you. And I speak with some authority, considering I've been professionally involved in producing coffee for the better part of a decade.

Now the first thing we need to get you is a grinder. No cup of coffee will be great unless you're using fresh ground, relatively freshly roasted coffee. Not just any grinder though, a burr grinder. The ones with blades don't grind, they chop and that's bad for a couple reasons. They tend to generate a lot of heat which in essence re-roasts your coffee. Good quality coffee ain't cheap, so we want to take care of it. The other reason they are not great is because they don't produce consistent morsels of coffee. You get some big ones, you get some small ones and this causes your coffee to not extract evenly.

You can basically spend as much on a grinder as you have money. An expensive one IS a good investment, considering it'll last you years and years (and cost probably pennies per brew) and it'll be able to brew coffee in any situation you encounter. However, an expensive one isn't that important if all you're looking to do is brew methods that are a little forgiving and don't require too fine of a grind. I have a capresso something or other (I think it's 50ish new) that I got at a thrift store for 6 bucks and it's about the minimum I would recommend. It does a decent (not wonderful) job for french press, drip, vac pot, and moka pot (which are the only methods I have tried it on) If you're absolutely desperate, I would imagine the black and decker 20 dollar target bottom shelf burr mill grinder is better than a whirley blade grinder and will get you started (although you'll want to upgrade pretty quickly if you really catch the coffee bug)

Now that we've got your grinder situation under control, it's time to think about how we're going to brew. Lets throw the cheap auto-drip machines out of the closest window. If drip coffee is what you like, you can stick with that general method but kick it up several notches by investing in a pour over system. You can get these on Amazon for less than 10 bucks:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

That's 4 and brews right into your mug. How convenient! There's also some that'll brew into a pot.

Now once we have our grinding and our brewing nailed down, it's time to find a good coffee roaster near you. If you're in the mid-atlantic region, I could help you out. I'd recommend going to any non-corporate chain coffee shop and seeing what they use. See what they brew, taste stuff, buy what tastes good to you. You want to make sure there's a roast date on there and you generally want to use it within a month of it being roasted.

Once you do that, you can start adding other brewing types to your arsenal and you'll be ready for the zombie apocalypse, or something. I don't know where I'm going with this.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The deception of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249107837677)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+