Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Help me troubleshoot my CCD coffee
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Katxena

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 8:01pm
Subject: Re: Help me troubleshoot my CCD coffee

I really wish I could drink more coffee so that I could experiment more frequently!  I hate having to wait until tomorrow to try again.

@netphilosopher, I looked at your recipes a few days ago, but I decided to use the time on the CCD box instead.  When I made that good coffee this morning, I used less coffee -- I shouldn't have done that.  Tomorrow I'll use the same coarser grind, more coffee and less time, like your recipe.

@CraigJS Thanks for the directions -- I'll incorporate them into tomorrow's experiment.

@perked, I have a strange history with coffee.  About 20 years ago, I got a part time job in a coffee shop associated with a local roaster that roasted on-site.  I wasn't a coffee drinker then, but thought I would like to be.  The problem was the roasting -- the smoke would get in my hair and clothes and I smelled like coffee smoke all the time.  I know some people would love that, but I hated it.  It put me off coffee entirely.  But I was training to be a barista, and I learned quite a lot about brewing methods.  I quit that job after a few weeks for unrelated reasons.  I stayed at it long enough to learn a bit about methods for brewing, but I quit before I learned anything at all about grind, time, volume, etc.  When I got the Keurig as a gift, I started drinking coffee and liked it.  Because of that experience all that time ago, I knew there were better ways to brew, and back then the manual methods appealed to me most (like FP and Chemex) so I looked into those.  I started with the CCD because it seems so tidy.

I use a re-usable Ekobrew with the Keurig when I use it -- I like the results.  I do put a paper filter in it because I don't like the oils in my coffee.  I think the paper might slow down the water flowing through, so more of the coffee in the Ekobrew gets used.
 View Profile Link to this post
Perked
Perked
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 8:45am

Netphilosopher Said:

I think this shows one example of bloom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOXVAAnUMXs

This one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316rLUhoyRo

If you stir while the bloom is happening, you can reduce this effect.

And I might be the one who worked the math out for the Keruigs:

454g/lb
9grams / k-cup
$0.50 / k-cup

454/9 * $0.50 = ~$25/lb

Posted November 12, 2012 link

Oh good! Very interesting in that you can also see how fresh the coffee is. The 2nd video seems to be a better example.

One thing: why would you want to reduce the effect?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread - I'm just curious.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 9:43am
Subject: .

Perked
Perked
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:47am

Ok, so I assume this is needed when doing a manual pour over method? I am using a basic drip coffee maker.

It's sad how far behind I am on this forum - but that's why I am here!
Katxena

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:18am

I made an EVEN BETTER cup of coffee this morning by using more coffee and shortening the brew time.  I'm so grateful to everyone in this thread for your help!

Netphilosopher Said:

Pretty much every morning, I pour in my water, and stir well DURING the pour, pausing for 10 seconds halfway to make sure I've gotten rid of most of the bloom.  Then, I top off, stir, and look for when the grounds sink.

Posted November 13, 2012 link

Interesting.  I'll have to try stirring during the pour.  I think the bloom is neat and like watching it, so I sort of hate to do that, but if it improves outcomes, I guess that's more important.
russ5679

Expertise: I love coffee

Roaster: IRoast
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 2:20pm

Here is the problem I'm having with my CCD.

The water stops draining right at the bottom, just a little above the grounds.  I can't figure out why all the water isn't draining.

I grind 2 scoops (around 22 grams) in my Baratza Encore on setting 22, so I'm not using a real fine grind.  I steep for 3 min and then let it drain.  It drains well over the next minute or so, but then stops with a little water above the grounds.  

The only idea I had was that I was clogging the filter, but my grind is coarser than a drip grind.

Any ideas?
newlife2

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 8:43am

As an experimentor myself.....i believe the coffee bean itself varies quite a bit so what i tried is that i grind the beans the day before to settle all the oils in the coffee which brews a much smoother coffee next morning.....not an expert here but it works for me:)
russ5679

Expertise: I love coffee

Roaster: IRoast
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 9:25am

I think it is probably the cheap filters I'm using.  I'll get some better ones and see if that helps.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257374048233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+