Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Help me troubleshoot my CCD coffee
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Katxena

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 7:12am
Subject: Help me troubleshoot my CCD coffee

I am new to coffee.  I don't have a lot of experience drinking it or making it.  I started drinking it regularly about a month ago, when someone gave me a Keurig machine.  There were things I didn't like about the machine (those cups are so expensive!) so I looked for another method to make it.  I decided on a Clever Coffee Dripper.  I like that you can control so many variables with it, but I can't figure out what each variable does.  I know it will take time to learn, but can you give me a bit of advice?

All the coffee I've made with the CCD so far is stronger (by which I mean bitter) than I want it, but if I use less coffee, it still tastes bitter but with less flavor.  What do I need to tweak to make coffee that's less bitter, but still flavorful?  

Here's what I'm doing.  I'm brewing Muddy Dog Pepper Cask coffee from the most recent roasting (which I think was Nov 1).  So far, this coffee tastes better to me in the Keurig (using an Ekobrew) than in the CCD. I am grinding it using a Hario hand mill (that I've modified with the Orphan Esspresso kit), to what I think is a "medium drip" grind (at least, it looks about the size of the stuff in the can of Maxwell House coffee my husband uses with the Ekobrew in the Keurig).  The grind is very consistently sized.  I put a Melitta filter in the CCD, then rinse it with boiling water and drain that water out.  I put the just-ground coffee in the rinsed filter, then heat my water in an electric kettle to about 200 degrees.  Next I start my timer for 4 minutes and pour a couple ounces of water over the coffee and watch it "bloom" -- as soon as the initial dome falls, I put in about half the remaining water, stir, then put in the rest of the water and cover.  When my timer gets down to 2 minutes, I take the lid off and stir one more time, then put the lid back on.  At 1 minute remaining, I start draining the CCD over a travel mug.  That takes almost exactly 1 minute.

So which variable should I tweak to make the coffee less bitter?  Do I need a coarser grind?  Or a different temperature water?  Or less time? I know the Keurig doesn't get as hot as the water in my kettle, so I'm going to try cooler water.  What else should I do differently?  As I mentioned, less coffee doesn't seem to be the answer -- then I just get weak bitter coffee.  I'm completely willing to experiment, but I'm feeling very overwhelmed.
 View Profile Link to this post
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:25am
Subject: Re: Help me troubleshoot my CCD coffee

I would first try a coarser grind if that doesn't work try stirring less or a shorter brew time. Are you using a scale to measure your coffee? If not I would suggest using one. Check out the link below from Prima Coffee on immersion brewing it might help.

Click Here (prima-coffee.com)
Katxena

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 5:58pm

Thanks -- I'll try a coarser grind.  I don't use a scale.  I've been resisting doing that, but I may have to give in.
AnotherRob

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: CCD, Behmor BraZen
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 7:35pm

I recently read a post that suggested pouring out the filter rinse water rather than draining it.

Searching for it, I found this post http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/505968 that links to this post http://coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3006#p30999

Rob.
Katxena

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 8:02pm

I tried pouring off the rinse water -- I don't think it helped much.  Tomorrow I'll try a coarser grind.
Katxena

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 5:25am

Oh my.  A coarser grind (much coarser) and less time (I'm not sure how much less, because I screwed up the timing -- I didn't hit start on my timer right away when I started pouring.  Grrr....) really did the trick.  My coffee this morning is *much* better.  Thank you!
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 5:58am
Subject: .

Perked
Perked
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:43am

For a coffee novice, you do certainly seem to be more advanced than I am, and I've been drinking coffee for over a decade. Of course, the majority of that time is going with what the mass population has been sold: buying ground, using a cheap coffee maker and you have coffee.

I have a keurig too - and yes the cups are very expensive. I have one of those single cup filters for using your own ground coffee. Not sure if this is what you have too, but I hated it. I felt like I was wasting the coffee as the keurig pushed the water through too quickly (it seems to me it did).

Someone here told me that kcups, if you do the math, cost about $20 / lb.

A few questions... what do you mean by "blooming" the coffee? From the context, I think it's when the ground coffee first swells up from the water absorption?
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 10:53am
Subject: .

CraigJS

Grinder: Baratza M plus
Drip: filter cone, FP, Moka
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:41pm

Timmer
set
4m.
Pour
start
to
cup
at
3m.
Pour
is
OVER
at
4m.
Too
short
steep
time
perhaps.

Sorry,space,key,dead..(temp)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Help me...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256134033203)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+