Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 59 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 7:25pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

bebopdeluxe Said:

I have always used a gold filter, but - with my purchase at Roastmasters - I got a package of paper filters...and in doing a "gold versus paper filters" search online, I found out about cafestol...which freaked me out a bit.  I am a 52-year-old with really low HDL, so I take meds to lower my LDL as much as possible.  Between the gold filter on the Capresso and the double-shots I crank out on the weekend with my Gaggia Classic, I have come to realize that I am probably getting a LOT of cafestol in my diet.  Because of the Lipitor I take every day, my LDL is really low, but I wonder if the cafestol that I have been taking in is still a problem...or whether the Lipitor that I take everynday is a "get out of jail free" card to keep pouring those doubles and using a gold filter on my Brazen...

I know this is a bit off topic, but any thoughts?

Posted November 8, 2012 link

Hi Bill,
I should of said in my 1st post to you, but I will now., Welcome to the Coffeegeek Forums! {;-)

O.T. too a bit, but I'd like to answer you.
I'm in the same boat as you also. I had a heart attack 4 years ago on Oct 12th 2008. I had a full Nuclear medicine (radioactive isotope) heart test done, blood work back in April & I was fine. I was on Lipitor also, but as soon as there was a generic available I asked to be switched to Apo-Clopidogrel.
I also take Simvastatin along with a few other meds too. I had checked with my doctor back 4 years ago & told him I have two FP coffees a day & it wasn't a problem in my case, but we all have diffferent circumstances & it's best to always check with your doctor.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
stevebythebay

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 10:06am

Until I changed out my Baratza Vario's ceramic burrs for steel I also had bloom issues with Ethiopian roasts, even if I let the beans rest for a week!  Seems that I was getting uneven grind (too many fines as well) for both press pot (Espro) and drip (BraZen). With the replacement burrs the problems have pretty much gone away.  I'm using .9L level.

By the way, has anyone measured the actual slurry temp vs. the set temp?  How large a difference are you seeing?  I'd like to get the slurry in the range of 195-202.
 View Profile Link to this post
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:45am

I don't think it's a grind eveness issue. I'm using a Baratza Preciso and it produces really even grinds. My Ethiopion's bloom right out of the basket.

Joe, if you do any testing on future models, test with freshly roasted Ethiopian coffees!

Speaking of which...... maybe I need to do some expriments with my roast profile on Ethiopians, wonder if that could affect the bloom.

I currently am doing a presoak at 140 degrees (hitting manual release as the water is warming up, 8 seconds worth of water) and it does an excellent job of getting rid of the co2 without a large bloom. I actually like this a lot because the slurry in the basket during the presoak is at a much cooler temperature to prevent too much extraction from taking place. I find the coffee to be smoother than when doing a 200 degree presoak. If the Brazen let you program in a pre-soak temperature and maybe even change the amount of water released that'd be awesome. For now the manual release presoak isn't too much hassle.
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 8:43am

Well I guess I have been under a rock lately. I just caught wind of the Brazen Brewer the other day. This sounds like another nice product from Joe. Soon as I saw the specs on this machine I knew I would have to order one. Can't wait for it to arrive. I know Joe stands behind his products and you can't beat the customer service.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 8:50am

TheArtfuldodger Said:

Well I guess I have been under a rock lately. I just caught wind of the Brazen Brewer the other day. This sounds like another nice product from Joe. Soon as I saw the specs on this machine I knew I would have to order one. Can't wait for it to arrive. I know Joe stands behind his products and you can't beat the customer service.

Posted November 10, 2012 link

Thank you for the kind words and while I may drive the ship there are a host of people who support me who in fact support all our customers, my staff really cares as do I.

I'd also be remiss if I did not acknowledge the engineers and staff of our assembly plant in China who too often get a bad rap because of some the crap coming from their fellow countrymen/woman. The staff in China do a great job in assisting us to the point when we see 2 instances on anything new, they are working to analyze the cause. It may be nothing or it may be something we watch for in assembly to insure it does not reoccur.

We all will make mistakes and there will be a bad part, brewer and/or roaster just rest assured we'll do our best to make things right and correct whatever it is.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bebopdeluxe

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 9:06am

CraigA Said:

Hi Bill,
I should of said in my 1st post to you, but I will now., Welcome to the Coffeegeek Forums! {;-)

O.T. too a bit, but I'd like to answer you.
I'm in the same boat as you also. I had a heart attack 4 years ago on Oct 12th 2008. I had a full Nuclear medicine heart test done, blood work back in April & I was fine. I was on Lipitor also, but as soon as there was a generic available I asked to be switched to Apo-Clopidogrel.
I also take Simvastatin along with a few other meds too. I had checked with my doctor back 4 years ago & told him I have two FP coffees a day & it wasn't a problem in my case, but we all have diffferent circumstances & it's best to always check with your doctor.

Posted November 8, 2012 link

Thanks for the welcome, Craig!  I will talk to my doctor...
bebopdeluxe

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 9:13am

So, I am now using the gold filter...I adjusted the brewing temp to 204...dialed the grinds a little coarser than I used in the MT600...using 9 tbsp of my La Colombe Corsica (which, at this point, the beans are probably around 3 weeks from being roasted) for 7 cups (between the 6 cup and 8 cup line)...should be MORE than enough coffee for a strong brew...still using a 1:20 presoak...and while the cup is good, I would expect a "bigger" taste than what I am getting...actually a touch on the thin side, to be honest.

Any suggestions?  I shouldnt need to use MORE coffee...should I?  Should I make the coffee grind even coarser?  Shorten the pre-soak time?  Any other vairables to consider?

I really like the machine...just trying to understand how to maximize its "tweakability"...

Thanks!
mrbjvb

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Rancilio...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Chemex,...
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 9:33am

I always thought hotter would be better, but this morning I brewed some Sidamo at 199 degrees with a 45 sec. presoak. Beans 4 days past roast - best pot from this brewer yet!!
Crow
Crow

Grinder: Zass Havanna
Vac Pot: Cona Old no. 2
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 11:33pm

Wow, I see there is no BPA plastic. That's a big + !
stevebythebay

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 9:56am

bebopdeluxe Said:

So, I am now using the gold filter...I adjusted the brewing temp to 204...dialed the grinds a little coarser than I used in the MT600...using 9 tbsp of my La Colombe Corsica (which, at this point, the beans are probably around 3 weeks from being roasted) for 7 cups (between the 6 cup and 8 cup line)...should be MORE than enough coffee for a strong brew...still using a 1:20 presoak...and while the cup is good, I would expect a "bigger" taste than what I am getting...actually a touch on the thin side, to be honest.

Any suggestions?  I shouldnt need to use MORE coffee...should I?  Should I make the coffee grind even coarser?  Shorten the pre-soak time?  Any other vairables to consider?

I really like the machine...just trying to understand how to maximize its "tweakability"...

Thanks!

Posted November 11, 2012 link

3 weeks post roast?  Whoa!  Like photography: you can't get out of a print what ain't in the negative (if you remember the pre-digital age).  Suggest you use much fresher roasted coffee.  Your pre-soak is probably unnecessary with coffee that's been sitting around that long (if not dead, there will be little bloom I'd think).  Try the shortest pre-soak time with this older bean and check the water flow nozzle area for any hint of coffee fines or other stuff, post brew.  Guessing you'll see nothing there.  As I understand it: 55 grams/liter is the SCAA std (I'm using 49 grams for 0.9 liter).  And 204 with coarse should be great (halfway between std drip and press pot on a typical burr grinder).  I believe that the temperature setting puts the actual temperature in the slurry a few degrees less, but I've not had a means to measure that.  

Scott Rao in "Everything but Espresso" recommends a temperature range of 195-202 for the slurry.  So, many people reporting use of temperature settings around 200 degrees makes sense.  I'm under the impression that the BraZen is seeking to keep the water temperature as constant as possible.  And with a broad filter basket and associated broad spray nozzle the vertical flow and evenness the degree of over-extraction should be minimized, it would seem.  What's not absolutely clear is the relationship of fineness of grind and water temperature, let alone the quantity of coffee in the basket.  Finer grind will slow down the flow, so a cooler temperature is definitely warranted to avoid over extraction.  But I suppose it's going to vary from bean type and degree of roast (I'm no chemist but I'm guessing the interaction of water with bean surface, etc. will affect how and just what is extracted).  

This all reminds me of roasting.  Using the same roast profile for different beans is not ideal.  And most varieties will yield differing levels of acid and fruit using varying profiles.  No set, and forget in brewing or roasting, it would seem.
showing page 59 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328721046448)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+