Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 158 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
clynch

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Smartgrinder
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:11pm
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

Wow, this is a long thread!!!   I've enjoyed reading  it but I'm getting a bit confused.  
  1.  Would I esentially be correct in saying a moka pot leans towards the coffee side?  Especially the 8-10 cup models that are being offered.  
    2   Brikka leans towards espresso shots?  More crema because of the valve on top?  I do understand its not 9 bar pressure with true espresso.
  2.  "crem" styles give you the ability to add milk if you wish to make a latte or cappucino drink?
    I'd like to try one pf these but I only want one general pot.  I believe a 6 cupper would get me 2 decent size cups.  Also, I suppose I could get the crem style, not put in milk, and it would mimic the brikka?  I'm leaning towards something that makes cappucino's with the milk in it.

Charlie
 View Profile Link to this post
johnny4lsu
johnny4lsu
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Clever, Chemex, v60, kalita...
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 7:49pm

Just checking in with you all. My brikka has been sitting in my cabinet collecting dust. Been thinking about pulling it back out.

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 6:32am

clynch Said:

Would I esentially be correct in saying a moka pot leans towards the coffee side?  Especially the 8-10 cup models that are being offered.  
2   Brikka leans towards espresso shots?  More crema because of the valve on top?  I do understand its not 9 bar pressure with true espresso.
"crem" styles give you the ability to add milk if you wish to make a latte or cappucino drink?
I'd like to try one pf these but I only want one general pot.  I believe a 6 cupper would get me 2 decent size cups.  Also, I suppose I could get the crem style, not put in milk, and it would mimic the brikka?  I'm leaning towards something that makes cappucino's with the milk in it.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Welcome to our thread!
So, yes, Brikka is closer than espresso than is any other moka pot. At the same time, it should be clear that what it produces is still quite different from espresso. Not that itís not as good, but itís significantly different.
Havenít tried any of the moka pots which combine milk, partly because Iím not drinking any milk-based coffee drink. They sound interesting but Iím not sure they really produce what people expect it might produce. I also expect that theyíre meant to always be used with milk.
If you want cappuccino instead of latte, itís likely difficult to achieve in something like this, as you probably donít have much control on the proportion of steamed vs. frothed milk.

Hope this helps a bit.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 6:53am

johnny4lsu Said:

Just checking in with you all. My brikka has been sitting in my cabinet collecting dust. Been thinking about pulling it back out.

Posted December 14, 2012 link

Any specific reason youíre not using it? Whatís your main method, these days?

My routine, these days, is to start with an AeroPress, followed by a moka pot. Then, when I need something espresso-like (for instance, for a quick boost while Iím grading), I whip up the Brikka.
Iíve also started drinking more tea (wulong in a mixing teapot, green in a glass teapot). But thatís another story.

My Preciso grinder (that I mentioned in late October) is helping with my routine in that itís easy and quick to go back and forth between grind levels. Because I grind quite fine for AeroPress (between 5Ė7), going to a coarser grind for moka pot or Brikka allows me to get some remaining grounds out of the grinder without affecting the burr. I do this by running it empty for a few seconds, once itís at that coarser level (12Ė14).
Not sure the quality of my moka pot or Brikka coffee has improved tremendously from using a Hario handmill, but the convenience of switching does make a huge difference. Also, the fine grind I use for AeroPress would take so much time on the handmill that Iíd rarely use it.

I tend to put the moka pot or Brikka basket right underneath the Preciso chute. Itís noisier, but itís convenient. Distribution of grounds isnít so important with moka pots, but if it were, that method would seem appropriate.

So, moka pots are still a big part of my coffee experience. Mentioned this thread to someone in the coffee biz and we had a discussion about the ďtrickĒ to make moka pots work. The short version, for me, is always the same: play with your heat source. I still maintain itís the key thing. If youíre getting a burnt or metallic taste, it probably has to do with the heating process, either too hot or not hot enough. Other things matter, but heat seems to be the key thing for people who get started in moka pot coffee.

Iím finishing a cup of year-old Yirg that I roasted yesterday. Tastes like celery/fennugreek. Less unpleasant than the baggy flavours I was getting originally. I should definitely get fresher beans.

Alex
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
johnny4lsu
johnny4lsu
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Clever, Chemex, v60, kalita...
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 7:18am

Seems as though I could never quite tweak my formula just right to get a decent cup. I use the moka pot much more these days and frequent a local coffee shop that is awesome!

I'm actually waiting on this machine to arrive in the next few months. I was able to get in as an early backer.
Click Here (www.kickstarter.com)

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
transient

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution, Bialetti...
Grinder: Hand Mill
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:41am

Enkerli Said:

The short version, for me, is always the same: play with your heat source. I still maintain itís the key thing. If youíre getting a burnt or metallic taste, it probably has to do with the heating process, either too hot or not hot enough. Other things matter, but heat seems to be the key thing for people who get started in moka pot coffee.

Posted December 15, 2012 link

Hi Alexandre,

I think the water level might be playing an important role on brewing temperature as well.

The long story: i came to Germany about two months ago, and brought my 4c Moka Express with me. I used to have a gas stove at home and i was happy with my pot. But here i had to use an electric stove, and my pot insisted on making coffee that was not hot enough. At first i thought this was because of the heat level, i played with the various settings on the stove (and it doesn't have many: 1-5). Changing the heat level changes the brew time, but it doesn't seem to affect the final temperature.

I was actually about to give up and blame the electric stove, but then i had the idea of playing with the water level. I used to fill the pot to about 1cm lower than the mark (as per your generic moka instructions) and it used to work fine at home; but not here. So, when i finally tried it with more water, the coffee got hotter. What i found after many trials is that, when i fill the pot to just a little below the mark (maybe 2-3mm), the coffee comes out right. When i fill it exactly to the mark, it has a burnt flavor. And when i fill it less, it's not hot enough, and thus a bit sour.

So, the water level seems to let me control the brewing temperature, which is pretty cool. But it also seems to get a bit sensitive around that mark -- a tiny bit of more or less water can prevent the coffee from coming out "just right". I haven't brought my scale with me, so i try to adjust the water level "by eye", which is a bit of a hit-miss.

By the way, since you mention it, i also brought my Aeropress with me, and some days i use that instead of the Moka. But for Aeropress, i've been grinding a bit coarser than Moka, because it seemed to be the "general internet advice" :) Now i'm curious to try it with a finer grind.

emre
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 1:41pm

transient Said:

I think the water level might be playing an important role on brewing temperature as well.

Indeed. But itís one that should be pretty constant, usually. Interesting effect that you got, especially since the heat level couldnít correct it. Iíve mostly been using electric heat and was always able to find the sweet spot. In fact, Iím not very careful with the water level in my 6c Moka Express. Had tried a number of things with water level (including overfilling) but I didnít find that it helped so much. Maybe I could resume my experiments.

transient Said:

By the way, since you mention it, i also brought my Aeropress with me, and some days i use that instead of the Moka. But for Aeropress, i've been grinding a bit coarser than Moka, because it seemed to be the "general internet advice" :) Now i'm curious to try it with a finer grind.

To be clear: Iím using the ďS-FilterĒ on my AeroPress. Went all the way down to the finest level on my Preciso (which could work for a coffee brewing method associated with your home country, but letís not get into that). Even with that ďpowderĒ, I wasnít really getting fines in the cup.
Pretty much the same with the Coava disk, though.
The method I use is a variation on the inverted method in that, instead of inverting, I put the plunger back to keep the liquid in, for as long as I want. A few drops come down but nothing to impact the cup.

Alex
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 1:44pm

johnny4lsu Said:

Seems as though I could never quite tweak my formula just right to get a decent cup.

Thatís a bit sad,  but as long as you get quality coffee, weíre fine.

Let us know about the Polyakov machine. Iíve been considering getting into home espresso. I still donít get that much enjoyment out of most espresso, even when itís really well crafted (including shots which would place well in championships). But maybe Iíd have some fun making it at home.

Alex
transient

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution, Bialetti...
Grinder: Hand Mill
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:25am

Enkerli Said:

Interesting effect that you got, especially since the heat level couldnít correct it.

My theory is (and it may be completely wrong) that; the more water there is, the less space is left for steam, so it takes longer to build up enough steam force to push the water up, and meanwhile the water gets hotter.

I also had this cold-coffee problem with my Brikka back at home with my gas stove, but i hadn't thought of adding more water. Lowering the heat had helped a little, but it hadn't solved it completely. Maybe a little more water would have accomplished that. Well, something to try when i go back (i didn't bring the Brikka with me).

Thanks for mentioning the S-Filter, i was thinking about getting a non-paper filter for my 'Press, to let the coffee oils through. This one looks good. I actually haven't experimented with Aeropress all that much. I've been trying the inverted method, and the coffee usually comes out good, but it's not as good as my "good" Moka brews, something seems to be missing. I suspect the paper filter is to blame.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon, Brikka
Drip: Kalita 1cup, Aeropress
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 8:12am

I don't normally fill mine up to capacity (I use only about 14-16 grams for my 2cup) nor grind anything finer than drip. This thing acts much like pressurized portafilters wherein things can potentially go wrong if you let anything other than the intended pressurization system restrict the water flow.

Do what you love to do and give it your very best
showing page 158 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412365913391)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+