Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best brew method for me?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best brew method...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
allenb4473

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 4:49am
Subject: Best brew method for me?

I've been using a keurig with a reusable k-kup. It make great coffee, but only a cup at a time. I recently tried using a drip coffee maker, a cheap machine I borrowed from someone, and it tasted horrible. I'm no expert, but I assume that the paper filter removes alot of the good stuff.

I use a cheap Mr Coffee burr grinder. I'm sure its not anywhere near the top of the list, but I'm satisfied with it so far.

I've been considering a french press, but I know nothing about them. If I get something like a bodium, how can I keep it warm? (It'll be parked on my desk at the office and I drink alot of coffee all day long)
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 5:39am
Subject: ...

calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 7:07am
Subject: Re: Best brew method for me?

Well, BEST, that........ depends.
Drip, when done properly can be a very nice cup but so can a french press, vac pot, aeropress, cleaver dripper, harrio, and the list goes on.
What is it that you expect or want in a cup of coffee? How much effort do you want to put into this and how much clean up are you comfortable with?
There is a brew method for you someplace but we really need to know a little more from you to give more help.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
allenb4473

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 8:37am

Im torn between a french press and the clever coffee dripper.  I work 8 - 10 hour shifts on the phone for xbox live tech support. I'm almost always really really busy.  I've been using my keurig with the reusable k-cup for about a year now and Im ok with the taste as long as its got a fresh grind, but I dont really have time to get up and clean out the kcup all the time.  I tried an auto drip, but IMO it tasted like crap.  I think I've learned to appreciate the oily goodness that comes from not using a filter.  A french press sounds like the ticket, but Im a little concerned about cleanup as well as keeping it hot throughout the night. This thermal bodium looks good, but I read that it only stays hot for a couple hours...,
Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Maybe a clever dripper plus one of these adjustable hot pots would be good, but would I find the filtered brew similar to the drip?

Basically Im wanting something to taste similar to the wire mesh basket setup on my keurig, but at the same time either make alot more coffee and keep it warm or be really convenient to make another cup at my desk while juggling the phone and a keyboard.
DexD

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 8:48am

allenb4473 Said:

I've been using a keurig with a reusable k-kup. It make great coffee, but only a cup at a time. I recently tried using a drip coffee maker, a cheap machine I borrowed from someone, and it tasted horrible. I'm no expert, but I assume that the paper filter removes alot of the good stuff.

I use a cheap Mr Coffee burr grinder. I'm sure its not anywhere near the top of the list, but I'm satisfied with it so far.

I've been considering a french press, but I know nothing about them. If I get something like a bodium, how can I keep it warm? (It'll be parked on my desk at the office and I drink alot of coffee all day long)

Posted October 26, 2012 link

Dovetailing on what calblacksmith said, I think it will depend on your parameters.  A good drip pot (like a Technivorm, the new Brazen, or similar) will give you far superior results to the very bland Keurig and you can get quite a few of them with a thermal carafe that should keep your coffee nice and warm.  So, the paper filter is not the culprit.  

However, if you want to go with a French press, far be it from me to stop you: it's one of my favourite ways to prepare coffee.  The results are excellent and consistent (as long as the grinder isn't complete garbage) and the preparation is simple.  You will need a thermos to pour your coffee into from the French press, however.  In addition, no matter how good the grinder, you will have some fines escape the French press filter and some will settle on the bottom of your cup.  Some people like me do not mind this grit -- you can just not to drink the last gulp or two of your cup -- but others have a very low tolerance for this.  Only you know if this will bother you or not.
DexD

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 9:00am

allenb4473 Said:

A french press sounds like the ticket, but Im a little concerned about cleanup as well as keeping it hot throughout the night. This thermal bodium looks good, but I read that it only stays hot for a couple hours...,

Maybe a clever dripper plus one of these adjustable hot pots would be good, but would I find the filtered brew similar to the drip?

Basically Im wanting something to taste similar to the wire mesh basket setup on my keurig, but at the same time either make alot more coffee and keep it warm or be really convenient to make another cup at my desk while juggling the phone and a keyboard.

A few things:

1. The thermal Bodum Columbia is one of the mainstays in my kitchen and WELL worth the money.  However, the thermal component is there to ensure a more consistent temperature _while brewing_.  You cannot leave your coffee in there with the grounds at the bottom because you are still effectively brewing the coffee and it will end up over-extracted pretty quickly.  Either way, you still need a thermos.

2. The adjustable kettle would be useful for many preparations (as a way to ensure correct brewing temperature), and I can't wait to get one myself.  But it's not a thermos, you don't want to keep your coffee in there.

3. A clever coffee dripper is a good choice.  I broke mine a few weeks ago and am waiting for the porcelain version to come out.  Compared to a French press, it will produce a cleaner cup -- which is both good and bad, in my books.  Properly done, it's very good and maybe slightly less fussy in terms of grinder requirements.  Slightly easier cleanup too (though I really don't think a French press is too bad).  It should be miles better than the Keurig.  You will need a thermos for it as well.
allenb4473

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 9:06am

DexD Said:

.  In addition, no matter how good the grinder, you will have some fines escape the French press filter and some will settle on the bottom of your cup.  Some people like me do not mind this grit -- you can just not to drink the last gulp or two of your cup -- but others have a very low tolerance for this.  Only you know if this will bother you or not.

Oddly enough....I like the fines and all the junk at the bottom of the cup.

On a related note....ever try an extremely fine grind on top of vanilla ice cream?  Pure awesomeness
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 10:13am

French press? No.
Espro Press? Yes.

The fines in the cup add bitterness.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 11:17am

The Espro will be nice for sure, it should be on your short list.

since you are considering the kettle on your desk, so you have a good source of hot water (good move!) a little cleaner cup and a drop dead easy device to clean is the Aeropress. It kind of is half way between french press and drip. It does use a paper filter but some of the oils do get through esp if you do an inverted press. (there is a whole culture built up around the Aeropress) or use the aftermarket filter disc, or BOTH!

To clean an Aeropress, you simply unscrew the bottom then push the grounds out and into a trash can. A rinse would be best but for short term, a wipe with a cloth will have it ready for the next cup when you are ready. It brews a concentrated brew, not espresso but not like a drip or press pot either. I tend to mix 1:1 with water so you have no problem getting a 16 oz mug out of a single press. It makes one cup at a time. Another positive point is that they are about $30, pretty inexpensive as things go so it will not break the bank to try, a GOOD drip pot can easily be 10 times that..

Also, the Aeropress brews a bit cooler at about 170 or so per the instructions that come with it so it is less fussy about water temp.

Click Here (www.bedbathandbeyond.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 11:23am

Xbox live huh........ I have had some "issues" with the way things are run there! I bet you have NEVER heard that before! :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best brew method...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305571079254)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+