Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 83 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 5:11am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

I am curious if it has to do with the temp of the water when you run the descaling solution through it. When I run the citric acid solution through my BraZen I do it only taking the water to 150F and the same when I rinse it through afterwards. Maybe over-reaction of the solution is due to the temperature at time of cleaning cycle and tames things down when cleaning is at lower temperatures.
 View Profile Link to this post
JavaGator

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 5:23am

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

I am curious if it has to do with the temp of the water when you run the descaling solution through it. When I run the citric acid solution through my BraZen I do it only taking the water to 150F and the same when I rinse it through afterwards. Maybe over-reaction of the solution is due to the temperature at time of cleaning cycle and tames things down when cleaning is at lower temperatures.

Posted January 21, 2013 link

I ran the Dezcal solution at the 203 I brew at.  It started leaking on the descale cycle and continued when I ran two rinse cycles, also at 203.  The leaking continued on my first brew cycle with grounds.  But this AM, I ran a brew cycle and it didn't leak.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 6:20am

The more I read about the issues people are having with using of using descale solution the more I am reminded of why manufactures and distributers recommend home owners don't do descaling. What is recommended is to use water that won't scale so descale is not necessary. I cant argue with this advise considering after 8 successful descales my last one created a leak because I tried a different technique, I overfilled the boiler to the top then heated the boiler and forgot to turn it off before it pressurized, the pressure valve on the boiler either got stuck with a piece of scale or just failed, well it found a weak spot and released its pressure and contents of the boiler. Another time a piece of scale clogged the HX system and limited flow by 2/3rds until I ran more solution to disolve it.

Drip machines are not pressurizing the water in a boiler at 245-265f for long periods of time so they can handle water that is harder then a pressurized boiler with out a scale problem. If scale is building up in a drip machine in a short time then IMO the water must be very hard. Cleaning an espresso machine boiler allows both heat and soak for dissolving the scale, in a drip there is only temp and a short contact time. I know with other cleaning solution like dish soap for example temperature changes how quickly it can do its job, a greasy pot can be cleaned in cold soapy water but will clean far quicker in the same solution of hot soapy water. Joe has recommended 150f for temp with citric acid with multiple pour throughs of the solution to disolve the scale. Hotter temps may be breaking scale free but until it dissolves it is a solid ready to block flow of water until it dissolves. My advice is to follow Joe's advice to the T.

I have stopped using Britta Pitcher water for the Brazen since knowing it has a screen I cannot get to to clean. My Britta let's decent sized particals  of charcoal into the filtered water, they never make it to a glass but empty the pitcher into the reservoir and there is ten or twenty pieces. My gut is telling me that the Brazen might benefit from a pre screen I can actually clean.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 6:40am

JavaGator Said:

I ran the Dezcal solution at the 203 I brew at.  It started leaking on the descale cycle and continued when I ran two rinse cycles, also at 203.  The leaking continued on my first brew cycle with grounds.  But this AM, I ran a brew cycle and it didn't leak.

Ah... leakage around or from the grounds basket can also result from totally immersing the grounds basket it water. It is comprised of two pieces and if submerged AND not set out to dry (water drain from between the two pieces) completely water could have gotten between the front face plate and the basket.. I know because my wife has done this.

One thing I need to point out is the issue about scaling has been very minor numerically speaking according to our stats. Normally all manufacturers experience 3-5% defect ratio in normal production runs. First runs generally can go higher. Our current stats show we are still sub 3% which includes the scaling.

I'm off to Asia tomnorrow and meetings are already scheduled on all aspects of the brewer to include manual changes to heighten awareness of the issues high mineral content water can do to equipment in general and coffee.

*** I should add we are never satisfied with any defect ratio be it 1% or above but recognize the reality of manufacturing.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:09am

roastmybeans Said:

another Brazen user with similar issues mentioned here - water left in the top..
an inch or so

yes I descaled ( several times ) CLR
yes it  has been working fine
no I don't use lab grade reverse osmosis 0 ppm water
manual release after the cycle does drain it with top off... perhaps the vac issue?
dumping the water out by tipping the unit caused water to kill my 'beep after done'
not looking forward to expensive shipping costs... those that had to send back did they cover costs?

I will test a manual dump with top on and off..

Posted January 18, 2013 link

More from the resident chemist...  Besides being toxic as hell CLR eats away at brass.. the brewer has a brass valve.

Only use products we recommend.. please.. Citric acid, Dezcal or other decalers specific to coffee equipment

Here is the procedure again if using cirtic acid, for other use the procedure and temperature guidelines of 150:

Mix 50 g (4 T) of granular citric acid in 2 cups of warm water until dissolved.  This is 10%.  Note:  Many people use 1 T/4 cups as a maintenance solution - we are doing restorative, hence much stronger, but with very short contact time.

Put 10% solution in brewer.
With manual release, heat to 150 F.
Release water until half is gone - about 30 seconds. (fully clogged units started flowing within about 15 seconds) Shut the valve and wait 30 seconds.
Open the valve and allow to fully drain.
Solution can be saved for many more uses.
Fill reservoir with water.  Again, heat to about 150 and let drain through.  If everything is now working right, release time should be between 2:30 and 3:00 minutes.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

JavaGator

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:20am

tahoejoe Said:

More from the resident chemist...  Besides being toxic as hell CLR eats away at brass.. the brewer has a brass valve.

Only use products we recommend.. please.. Citric acid, Dezcal or other decalers specific to coffee equipment

Here is the procedure again if using cirtic acid, for other use the procedure and temperature guidelines of 150:

Mix 50 g (4 T) of granular citric acid in 2 cups of warm water until dissolved.  This is 10%.  Note:  Many people use 1 T/4 cups as a maintenance solution - we are doing restorative, hence much stronger, but with very short contact time.

Put 10% solution in brewer.
With manual release, heat to 150 F.
Release water until half is gone - about 30 seconds. (fully clogged units started flowing within about 15 seconds) Shut the valve and wait 30 seconds.
Open the valve and allow to fully drain.
Solution can be saved for many more uses.
Fill reservoir with water.  Again, heat to about 150 and let drain through.  If everything is now working right, release time should be between 2:30 and 3:00 minutes.

That's good to know.  My drain time is under 3 minutes so I guess my flow is good.  Do you have any comment on my shower head only dispensing to the center right of the head?  If I tip the unit a little I get flow from center left.  I checked with a level and my Brazen sits perfectly level but the water flow is only center right.  Is it designed to shower from all openings in the shower head?
roastmybeans

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Mocamaster
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:06am

comments withheld until unit is exchanged...
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:33am

Mea culpa time.. was in a bit of a stupor this morning, weighed beans and then did an oops... I dumped the beans in the reservoir..

Thank goodness they were still whole bean..

www.behmor.com

tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:37am

Java.. Short answer is the water will not come out of all the holes simultaneously. What transpires is as water goes into the dispersion disc it gets channeled to holes, as the channel fills water should migrate to other holes.. but you'll never see them all at once.

www.behmor.com

tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 8:40am

roastmybeans Said:

comments withheld until unit is exchanged...

Your using CLR is our fault for not being more concise/ clear in our manual, so please do not misread my comments as being anything negative at you. That is not my intent.

I'm at this point trying to merely make it clear what to use and why..

www.behmor.com

showing page 83 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353663921356)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+