Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 80 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 3:45pm
Subject: Re: de-scale procedure

Joe, just to clafiry...
(1) how much powder to water (gm/l) for the solution
(2) should we dilute that solution with a full pot of 'room temp' water
(3) how long should it sit before draining
(4) When I took my picture the filter seemed clogged brown (grounds? doesn't make sense as we don't put grounds in the reservoir maybe that's what the blockages look like)

Thanks for all your help. Interesting issue...
 View Profile Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 4:51pm

I did not do this personally rather it was performed by our techno chemist science guru (thank you John Nanci) who jumped on this like a dog to a bumper. He tested then relayed the data to me ..

Pre mix solution.. as stated 10% thus 100 grams to 1L. He used smaller amount of water to equal about 40grams for 400ml water

Pour into the reservoir, do a manual start up to 150F, then open manual release.

Three systems he had on site all were cleared with this procedure. One he claimed was almost completely blocked with scale.

I think allowing it to rest does nothing to assist with scale on the "out flow" side of the valve thus no need for.

He used the same solution for each brewer so if desired a twice through wouldn't hurt followed by rinse cycles.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 5:56pm

Joe - Thanks very much for this info.

Since water varies so much from place to place, it doesn't seem like cleaning on a specific time period makes sense.  Some might need it monthly, others not for 6 months or more.  Is there some way to tell when the machine needs to be cleaned?  A visual inspection of the screen in the hole, or a manual flow rate test?

Thanks.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 6:33pm

John said he'll pour over TDS and other data to try and put a chart of sorts together. The difficulty lies with the various levels of minerals found in locations across the US. We've looked at data from my own neighborhood and found locations 4 miles away with low TDS, with my water being double.

What John has found data wise is 85% of the water supply in the US is hard water and a nightmare to all things that heat water or carry that water. We've learned almost every water heater's warranty is either voided or severely limited because of hard water's effects.

While John is working on that aspect I'm in talks with the ONLY manufacturer of a portable product that truly conditions water and removes the minerals that are a nightmare to brewers, espresso machines, kettles etc. Brita filters and similar do not remove the minerals that cause the problems, RO yes but not those.

I'm hoping I can with their assistance we can put in place a program geared exclusively for Behmor customers that includes discounts on the product at the front end and disounts on the filters/ conditioners for long terms because in reality the best means to control the issue is to control the type of water used. I know in my home, which has an inexpensive 3 stage RO system (under counter) I've used a brewer for 9 months and not had to do one thing with regards to cleaning the reservoir or valves.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

MJW

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 7:11pm

I'm eager to try the procedure... Joe you still want me to hold off doing anything to mine?
Thanks.
-Mike
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 7:51pm

Mike..

Actually we'd like you to try it because yours appears to be a worst case situation.

John put together written instructions, probably to make sure I'd not messed things up in the transfer of info..

Here they are:

Mix 50 g (4 T) of granular citric acid in 2 cups of warm water until dissolved.  This is 10%.  Note:  Many people use 1 T/4 cups as a maintenance solution - we are doing restorative, hence much stronger, but with very short contact time.

Put 10% solution in brewer.
With manual release, heat to 150 F.
Release water until half is gone - about 30 seconds. (fully clogged units started flowing within about 15 seconds) Shut the valve and wait 30 seconds.
Open the valve and allow to fully drain.
Solution can be saved for many more uses.
Fill reservoir with water.  Again, heat to about 150 and let drain through.  If everything is now working right, release time should be between 2:30 and 3:00 minutes for a full reservoir to rinse and check.

People may wish to run a 2nd rinse.  I did not.

www.behmor.com

MJW

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:29pm

Joe, thanks for the detailed instructions.  Well, it didn't work in my case.  Wasn't able to drain any water.  I tried a couple times.

Regarding the final drain.  Draining 250 milliliters in 150 seconds (2:30) would be a flow rate of only 1.7 milliliters per second.  [EDIT: either I can't read, or Joe changed the post to clarify this part of John's instructions.  Or both...]

If you want me to try any variations, let me know and I'll do it.
pgde

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Kitchenaid KPCG100
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:05pm
Subject: Re: More Questions

tahoejoe Said:

The reason no dishwasher.. there is a gasket between the top portion (black/ handle) and the main body (stainless steel) that acts as a seal between the two to prevent leakage.. Dishwashers can effect (ruin) the seal

The factory recommends only soap and water, but will ask about Tabz tonight as I'm in communication with them every night.

deleted for space....

Posted January 13, 2013 link

Thanks Joe. Your support is outstanding!

Peter
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:09am

MJW Said:

Joe, thanks for the detailed instructions.  Well, it didn't work in my case.  Wasn't able to drain any water.  I tried a couple times.

Regarding the final drain.  Draining 250 milliliters in 150 seconds (2:30) would be a flow rate of only 1.7 milliliters per second.

If you want me to try any variations, let me know and I'll do it.

Posted January 13, 2013 link

John meant a full reservoir would empty in that time...

www.behmor.com

redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 1:28pm

Hi guys,

I don't have a Brazen yet, but have been following this thread with regards to the scale build-up on the reservoir valve screen. Just a thought here, but would it be possible, while the citric acid solution is sitting in the reservoir, to take either a turkey baster or one of those large, plastic marinade injection syringes, place it in the reservoir hole and do a little push-pull pulsating? Something that might loosen larger chunks of scale or speed up the dissolving action. Using a syringe type device might even suck up most of the loosened scale. Like I said, I don't own one yet and do not know how large the reservoir hole is or even if this idea is possible, but I thought I would throw it out anyway. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
showing page 80 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295079946518)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+