Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 51 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 11:54am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

CraigA Said:

Frank, you could just brew a pot with some old coffee that you don't care about & then just dump it out. That should pull away any offending odor..

Posted October 7, 2012 link

craig, found an unlabeled old mason jar of some beans and i just hit start on a 56gram batch...now i remember why im on the search for a motorized drip grinder.  hand grinding is not fun for this much coffee.  :P

tahoejoe Said:

frankk

send us an email and we can send you another..

Posted October 8, 2012 link

thanks Joe, i'm gonna keep trying to get this one to work for me.  i think it's getting progressively better with each air dry.  did two air dries so far and im only getting a slight smell now.  If i cant get this working for me, i'll let you guys know.

GVDub Said:

Brewed a pot of the the Worka again this morning and it was so good i just ordered 10 lbs of the greens from Klatch. This brewer is going to sell a lot of premium coffee for folks.

Posted October 8, 2012 link

George, was the Worka from this season or last?  I still have about 1-2lbs of last season's and i remember it was ridiculously blueberry'ish.
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:22pm

Frank - It's what Mike's selling as greens from the Klatch website right now, so my guess is this season, not last. I'm thinking it's probably the same crop as the Worka that Conservatory of Coffee supplied for the roasting Charrette, which was pretty spectacular with a little green apple note to go along with the berries.

Speaking of drip grinders, if you've got the counterspace, there's a guy on CL who's been trying to sell a Grindmaster 100 for pretty cheap. The 100 is fairly compact as such things go (probably about the same size as the BraZen, overall) and judging by how well the LPG I got from Russell does with the brewer, you could probably do worse.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 12:31pm

luckily i have a separate coffee stainless counter thing that i have all my coffee gear on so i should have plenty of space.  

i have my heart set on a ditting kr1203 or similar but i havent found the right deal for one just yet.  i see them on CL every once in a while and i'm hoping that i'll be able to find one soon.  from your glowing review on the bunn LPG, i've added that to my list of possibilities along with the bunn g9 that Wayne uses.    

i havent looked at grindmasters mainly because i havent read any feedback about them...i wonder how they stack up to bunn, ditting and mahlkonig.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 1:02pm

Since Grindmaster merged with Cecilware, if you're familiar with the Cecilware Venezia line of espresso machines, the grinders are probably equivalent quality. I know that they rebadge the HeyCafe Mazzer clone for their espresso grinder, and that's gotten decent (though not totally stellar) reviews.

Out in the wild of professional food service, the Bunn to Grindmaster ratio in diners and restaurants seems to be about 2:1 or so.

I'm needing to start thinking cart for my coffee setup, just to maintain spousal harmony. First, though, I need to get the Ellimatic back up and running. No espresso at home is getting difficult.
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 5:59pm

Canadian folks:  Smico on the GCBC site is putting a Brazen on a traveling road show. (Registration required). Needs 9 8 other Northerners to toss in a $20 and take a chance on the random draw for the win.  Each person gets it for a week:   Traveling road show, north of the 49th.  There's already a GCBC traveling-road-show Brazen circulating south of the 49th.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 4:06pm

I received my new HARIO drip decanter today to try with the Brazen:

Click Here (prima-coffee.com)

This is an 02 sized Hario filter holder that fits down into a glass decanter, like a Chemex but with a Hario filter. It measures just under 8 inches tall, so it fits perfectly under the BraZen spray head (coffee basket removed) with room for the filter to stick up above the decanter. The bottom of the decanter is slightly smaller than the recessed portion of the BraZen base, so you do have to roughly center it. The diameter at the top is wide enough to collect all the water from the Brazen.

I put 16 ounces of water in the BraZen. 24 grams of fresh ground Willoughby's roasted coffee in a Hario filter and hit START. 1:30 presoak, 203 degrees brew temp. It worked perfectly. Presoak, then the first shot of water, which had not complete dripped through when the second shot came. This one came up close to the top of the filter holder with maybe a half inch to spare. Third shot of water was smaller and pretty much finished it off. Let it drip through and I ended up with 14.5 ounces of brewed coffee.

Very good, smooth coffee. Not quite as strong, with the same coffee to water ratio, as larger batches I've been brewing in the Brazen, but definitely a workable way to auto-brew one travel mug of coffee in the Brazen. It might be dicey on larger brews, but the standard Brazen works perfectly for 20 ounces or more of water, so that's a moot issue. This is just a way to get a deeper bed of grounds for single serve brewing.

Is it better than auto-brewing the same amount with the Brazen basket? I don't know. I guess I'll have to compare it sometime.

The only snag: the one piece glass decanter ended up being just a bit too tall to fit my compact microwave without tilting it a bit going thru the door. No big deal. But, a 2-piece 02 decanter and filter would be better if this is an issue.
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 4:18pm

It's an invasion......
of the out-of-this world coffee brewers...

oldgearhead: Brazen_Landing02.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Archatie

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 10:08pm

I found this forum while researching for a new coffee maker. Pre-ordered my Brazen and anxiously waited for the delivery. Arrived today and went through the instruction and even checked Youtube. The water heated to the set temperature and the pre-soak went well as well. Calibrated the machine and tried to run a full cycle to clean the machine, Not a drop of water  fell into the basket. Bone dry. Tried to run it again with a paper filter and again the filter did not even have a wet spot. I NEED HELP TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM
brazen1

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:38pm

When you hit START, did the water heat and the temperature display start increasing? When it got to your brew temperature, did the display switch to PRE-SOAK and start counting down?

If not, you might not have actually gotten it to start. It often takes hitting the START button twice. Once to wake it up and once to make the water temp appear and start increasing.

If all of that happened, the water got hot, PRESOAK appeared in the disply, and no water came out, then Joe is going to have to answer! That would suggest that the microprocessor is not opening the valve and you'll probably need a replacement machine (unless there is some kind of easy fix).
Archatie

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:26am

The water  reached the temperature I set it at and the pre-soak started the countdown then the brew started and ended without a drop of water in the basket.  I wonder how long I will have to wait again for a good cup of coffee.
showing page 51 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295758008957)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+