Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Clever Coffee Dripper, Hario V60?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Clever Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gimpy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: Clever Coffee Dripper, Hario V60?

I use the CCD for about a month now. I got mine from SM's. I use the #4 (I think) Filtropa filter. That is what is recommended on the SM's website. I find that it makes for a pretty good cup of coffee, so I alternate between the CCD and the AeroPress.

I grind with the Zass and try to use a little bit of a coarser grind, simply because the drip does last as much as 3 or 4+ minutes depending on the grind size and if I let it drip all of the way through. I actually start dripping the coffee after 2 1/2 minutes to 3 minutes now (used to wait 4 minutes). The coffee seems to drain pretty good up until there is maybe 1/3 of it left in the filter, it then seems to take forever to drain through completely to where I see no standing water.

I have actually tried to stir up the coffee grinds when it gets toward the end to hasten the drip, but when I do that, I normally somehow "tear" or open the seam to where the grinds drip through. I no longer do that very often.

Frank, "Still the one"
 View Profile Link to this post
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto, Strega, S1 Vivaldi
Grinder: Vario, K10, K30, Tanzania
Vac Pot: Yama SY-8
Drip: KB-741, V60, Wave, CCD, AP
Roaster: 2 broken Hottops
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 3:16pm

Everything arrived nice and quickly from BC.  Thanks for the brewing tips, Jeff.  I'll give it a try later this evening.  At what temperature should I aim to start?

Chris
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 3:25pm

Bob_McBob Said:

Everything arrived nice and quickly from BC.

Posted May 18, 2010 link

Who'd you order from Bob please?

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob

Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 3:56pm

CraigA Said:

Who'd you order from Bob please?

Posted May 18, 2010 link

I ordered from Avenue 18, which is the only place I know of in Canada that sells the kettle online.  Their web site says they only have one in stock, and it said that before I ordered, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.  They carry most of Hario's products, including vac pots and other glassware.  I got the kettle, V60 dripper, and three packs of filters.  It came to $117.60 with tax and $22 shipping (ouch).  Cheaper than buying from the States, though.

Chris
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 4:20pm

Thanks Bob, I thought it might be that company., but couldn't remember the name..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 7:07pm

IMAWriter Said:

Have you (or anyone) had better luck with the Melitta filters?

Posted May 18, 2010 link

I've had great luck with my CCD and #4 Melitta  filters.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri May 21, 2010, 1:54pm

Chris, no problem.. Remember, the Hario is very versatile, so experiment as much as you like.  I tried a couple other methods, and found that one to work best for me.

As for water temp.. Since its a pourover, heat loss is inevitable.  Since you bought the Ceramic one, pre-heat best you can, and that will help.  As for the water, I take the water right from my espresso machine, into the Motta Pitcher I use, and start pouring immediately.  

I keep the brew level low in the actual cone.  I do the bloom with MAYBE 1.5oz of water, just enough to wet 90% of the grounds.  Then I start my Timer.  At the 30-40sec mark, I begin to pour.  I only raise the brew to roughly the halfway mark in the cone.  I pour very slowly, in a circular motion around the entire cone, making sure to NEVER pour onto the filter itself.  There will be a little ring of grounds on the edge of the filter that forms from pouring after the bloom, and I dont go above that(You'll see what I mean when you do it).  I pour steadily till the 1:30 mark, then pause for :20.  At 1:50, I begin pouring again, slowly but steadily, circling around etc etc.  At the 2:30 mark I am done pouring, and it takes ~30seconds for what is left to drain out.

Barismo has great tips on the Hario V60, and there is a bunch of Videos on Youtube and Vimeo.  There is another technique where, after the bloom, you add all the water at once, raising the brew up to the top of the cone, and thats it, you just let it drain.  Personally, I didnt like using that technique.. The cup I get using the technique outlined above, to me, is noticeable better.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob

Posted Tue Jun 1, 2010, 8:53pm

I've been using my V60 for a couple weeks now.  As expected, I really enjoy the ritual of pouring water with the Buono kettle (even if it is a glorified watering can!).  I had mostly stopped drinking regular coffee at home, but I now take the time to make a cup every day or two because the brewing process is fun and relaxing.  I've also started making Japanese iced coffee, brewing directly over ice in the cup.  The V60 is ideal for this, so with the temperature over 30C, it's been getting a lot more use in the last few days.

I realize now that I ordered the larger "02" size ceramic dripper and filters, which is what the store carried.  I think I might be better off with the smaller size for single cups, because the tiny amount of coffee required for one 10oz cup gets a bit lost in the larger one.  It would be a lot easier to direct the spout of the kettle if the grounds weren't so deep in the dripper.  I will probably look into ordering one of the 01 size funnels.

Chris
rwyble

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 2, 2010, 6:00am

Jmanespresso Said:

As for water temp.. As for the water, I take the water right from my espresso machine, into the Motta Pitcher I use, and start pouring immediately.

Posted May 21, 2010 link

Another technique is to put fresh water into a stainless insulated carafe and then bring it to boiling with the steam wand. When the water starts boiling out of the carafe, temperature measured a moment later will be ~ 208 F, and because it's in an insulated carafe that remains stable through the pourover brewing process.  If brewing more than single-cup quantities (using a Chemex, for example), the carafe is then preheated to receive the brewed coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Jun 2, 2010, 1:23pm

Bob_McBob Said:

I realize now that I ordered the larger "02" size ceramic dripper and filters, which is what the store carried.  I think I might be better off with the smaller size for single cups, because the tiny amount of coffee required for one 10oz cup gets a bit lost in the larger one.  It would be a lot easier to direct the spout of the kettle if the grounds weren't so deep in the dripper.  I will probably look into ordering one of the 01 size funnels.

Posted June 1, 2010 link

No worries, I bought the 02 cone as well.  The 02 is the ideal size, because brewing single cups is still fine, but you can do 3cups if you want.  Actually, you can brew as much as you want, just adjust dose/grind for the amount of water.  

What is your brew ratio?

Most of the time, I use 12oz of water to 23-24grams of coffee. This yields me 10oz brewed coffee.  Sometimes I up the dose to 26-27grams... The v60 benefits from a bit of an updose.  However, if you're only brewing 7-8oz or less, then yeah, the 02 is a bit big, but still manageable.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Clever Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38454580307)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+