Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 48 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
spyglassweb

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 6:18am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Thanks to all for your tips so far!  I thought you may like to see how great my 6 cup Chemex fits - see pic.  At first I thought that it didn't fit as I couldn't slide it all the way in place. You have to lift the carafe slightly, and then it slides in place with the top nestling in the groove perfectly and sitting slightly suspended.  I am sure that this fit is no accident and am thoroughly impressed with such thoughtful and precise design.

Also, I filled mine to the 8 cup line without overflow and the plastic smell went away for me by the second use.  

One question though, is there a pause feature?

spyglassweb: 2012-10-06-09.03.13.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 6:50am

I ran 4 loads of water through the Brazen before making coffee.  Then it was fine.

My brother-in-law was in town for a week, staying with my father-in-law.  I loaned them the Brazen and they quickly appreciated the flavor of the coffee and simplicity of use.  The brother-in-law also owns a Behmor 1600 for his roasts.

My father-in-law is 87 and even with somewhat muted taste buds really likes how good the coffee now tastes.  He might be getting his own Brazen.  :)

LMWDP # 010
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 8:44am

Edit: Ooops. Nevermind!
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 9:09am

spyglassweb Said:

Thanks to all for your tips so far!  I thought you may like to see how great my 6 cup Chemex fits - see pic.  At first I thought that it didn't fit as I couldn't slide it all the way in place. You have to lift the carafe slightly, and then it slides in place with the top nestling in the groove perfectly and sitting slightly suspended.  I am sure that this fit is no accident and am thoroughly impressed with such thoughtful and precise design. >snip<
feature?

Posted October 6, 2012 link

That just doeen't look right! One of biggest advantages of Melitta and Chemex filters is they do better with
smaller volumes than similar flat-bottomed filters. The image you posted looks like the filter basket is still in place. So do you plan on fitting the basket inside the Chemex filter, or using a flat-bottom filter? I know it would be nicer if you could just remove the filter basket before using the Chemex, but I suspect much of the water would miss the Chemex.  Also, what's the reason behind wanting to pair a Chemex with a Brazen?

I've never used a small Chemex, but I've used the larger ones, and they need to be positioned on a stove burner during the pour or they lose a lot of heat. I think the carafe included with your Brazen is a far better choice.

I'm sure its no easy task to produce an outstanding coffee brewer that fits under a cabinet in a 16 inch vertcal space.
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 9:20am

I think the reason to use a Chemex or a Melita filter/carafe or a Hario filter/carafe under the Brazen is just that.... to brew a small quantity like one or two cups. Too small for the flat basket to really work.

Just remove the BraZen brew basket entirely and drip the water directly into a cone filter.
spyglassweb

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 11:05am

Hi oldgearhead,

The basket is removed in the picture.  The chemex would not fit otherwise. The chemex top looks wide enough to capture all of the water coming from the spray head.   I have not actually tried to brew this way, but I think that it is a good option when just wanting a small amount.  The regular drip setting works better with at least 6 cups of water, according to the directions. Does that help?
Skioutwest

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600 (convert from...
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 10:36am

Got my machine on Tuesday from Roastmasters.  I asked them for a lb. of green instead of the Willoughbys and  they hooked me up....nice touch, along with the two days it took to arrive.

Love the machine.  Definitely looks better in person, and very well made.  The only drawbacks are the .5-1 ounce of water left in the reservoir after brewing is complete, also the carafe does not keep the coffee hot as my Starbucks Aroma Grande.  This Brazen keeps my coffee hot for only 30-60 min.  My old carafe kept hot for at least two hours.

-Mark
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 11:16am

I wonder if the lower the temperature of the brew has a faster cool down or should we heat up the carafe first with a hot water rinse to maintain the temperature longer... earlier posts in the thread indicated reasonable heat loss after brew
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 11:24am

I'd recommend a hot water rinse/pre-soak for a minute or two.
I've done that, & also a pre-heat with water right off of the boil.

The coffee in the thermal carafe after brewing is 185F. I've done 8 pots of coffee now, & they've all been outstanding!

Coffee is so good that it doesn't sit around lol!

P.S. Adam, on Friday you said that you wouldn't be around to to try the brewer for 4 days (till Tues Oct 9th).. So you really haven't done anything with it since you received it except for the one cup of Fri the 5th here? "Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)"

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
raisin

Grinder: Virtuosa
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2012, 11:31am

Skioutwest Said:

Love the machine.  Definitely looks better in person, and very well made.  The only drawbacks are the .5-1 ounce of water left in the reservoir after brewing is complete, also the carafe does not keep the coffee hot as my Starbucks Aroma Grande.  This Brazen keeps my coffee hot for only 30-60 min.  My old carafe kept hot for at least two hours.

-Mark

Posted October 7, 2012 link

I'm pouring lunch cups from breakfast brews, and although they don't taste as good, they are plenty hot. I just temped the 6hr old dregs at 130f, too hot for touch.

The Brazen carafe has been a delight for me, the lid operates simply and cleans easily. The wide mouth will make cleaning coffee oils much easier than in the past. Hot temps are maintained well beyond the useful life of the brew.

The only complaint i can personally come up with, is the brazen asymmetry of the logo contrasted to the absolute symmetry of the device. lol
showing page 48 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310791969299)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+