Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 96 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
trombs

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist v2
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W, Hario Mini...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Aeropress,...
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 6:21am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

LiferJuice Said:

The new carafe is working fine, no more leaks.

Posted May 18, 2013 link

Is it physically different?  Joe hinted they were working on a new one.
 View Profile Link to this post
BeerCan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 1:21pm

I have used my new Brazen for a few weeks now and for the most part I am glad I made the purchase.  My experiences mimic a lot of other posts in this thread but I will add them anyway.

I have found that like others I need to grind my coffee slightly coarser than I did for my Newco.  Kosher salt size is a good comparison, though I think I am slightly finer than that.  I also prefer my brew temperature in the 201-203 range but seem to have landed on 202 as a semi-permanent setting.  I also strongly prefer paper filter coffee over the supplied gold filter.  Something about the taste from the gold filter put me off.

I really HATE the carafe.  It leaks and dribbles all over the place.  I have taken to pouring my coffee over the sink so I don't have a huge mess all the time.  The condensation on the lid is a minor annoyance.  Now that I am fully aware of it I can take the lid off without making a mess.  I wish it brewed more than 8 cups :)

I really like how easy it is to pour water in this machine.  I also like the ability to program different settings and the fact that I can have it autostart.  I find programming it pretty easy and quick.  I wish it held time for at least a few minutes when unplugged.  Compared to my Newco, I like the filter basket better.

I had a small amount of out-gassing when I first got the brewer.  As suggested earlier in the thread I washed with warm water and soap and it disappeared within 24 hours.  I ran about 6 rounds of water through it before using so the out-gassing never seemed to affect flavor.

Thumbs up from every coffee drinker in my household as they all perceive the brew from the Brazen to be superior to the Newco.  It could be placebo or new gear syndrome but who cares, as long as they/I feel it is better, then in reality it is.  :)
LiferJuice
LiferJuice

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Stainless
Drip: Behmor, Technivorm
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 4:07am

trombs Said:

Is it physically different?  Joe hinted they were working on a new one.

Posted May 18, 2013 link

The one they sent me is the same unit.

I'm going to take apart the original, I'm sure it has a bad seal in it.

Now I open the spout before pouring to prevent the coffee from sitting against the seals.
jasonmolinari

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Single cup
Roaster: Poppery II, BBQ drum roaster
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 9:45pm

Looks like the dreaded "short potting" hit my brazen. Problem is, I don't know if I've always had it or if its something new. I've only brewed 500-600ml pots until this week. Today I did my first 1.2L pot and had 1/3-1/2 of the resevoir left.
Did a flow test and it took over 6 minutes to flow through the whole 1.2L. I doubt it from water hardness since my water is soft (56ppm according to zero water page, and I've testes carbonate hardness and alkalinity and its very low), but tomorrow ill put straight white vinegar in it to try to descale. Hope it works.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 10:14pm

BeerCan Said:

I really like how easy it is to pour water in this machine. ...

Posted May 24, 2013 link

Not as easy as mine is!  ;-)

Since my coffee cart is in the den and the Vibiemme is plumbed I put a Tee in the supply line and ran a length of hose up to the BraZen with a valve at the end:

frcn: BrazFill.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jasonmolinari

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Single cup
Roaster: Poppery II, BBQ drum roaster
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 11:58am

I sprayed the filter screen in the resevoir with a sprayer for a good 30 seconds and that seems to have done the trick. Unclogged something. Full resevoir manual release now takes 2:30. Good stuff.
Can't imagine what got in there.

jasonmolinari Said:

Looks like the dreaded "short potting" hit my brazen. Problem is, I don't know if I've always had it or if its something new. I've only brewed 500-600ml pots until this week. Today I did my first 1.2L pot and had 1/3-1/2 of the resevoir left.
Did a flow test and it took over 6 minutes to flow through the whole 1.2L. I doubt it from water hardness since my water is soft (56ppm according to zero water page, and I've testes carbonate hardness and alkalinity and its very low), but tomorrow ill put straight white vinegar in it to try to descale. Hope it works.

Posted June 2, 2013 link

frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 12:26pm

jasonmolinari Said:

I sprayed the filter screen in the resevoir with a sprayer for a good 30 seconds and that seems to have done the trick. Unclogged something. Full resevoir manual release now takes 2:30. Good stuff.
Can't imagine what got in there.

Posted June 3, 2013 link

While I have partially disassembled mine I did not get deep enough to examine the valve and its orifice to see, but I imagine that with the large top opening of the reservoir and the tight fit of the lid, it is possible for dust or other fine debris that is on the lid to be sucked in by the partial vacuum when removing it. Add lint from towels, dist from static electricity on the plastic lid, and whatever else we might think of, it evidently doesn't take much to partially clog it.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jran

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 9:30am

I am on my 3rd Brazen.  Original purchase was in December, and the first 2 were replaced under warranty after the valve started buzzing and would not release water.  Now the 3rd one is doing the same thing.  I was able to partially fix it with citric acid descaling, but it still does not drain completely after a brew cycle.  I understand this is probably a hard water scaling issue and is 'my fault' in that regard because my water still contains minerals even though I'm softening and filtering it.
What irks me is that from an engineering perspective it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to build a gravity feed water system that is more tolerant to hard water, and however the Brazen is designed, it is very sensitive to fouling due to scale buildup.  Whatever the case, I am done with the Brazen.  I'm not going to bother opening another warranty claim for the unit since the same thing is undoubtedly going to happen again unless I get a RO system (no room for it).  I am going to try a Technivorm, which seems like a design that would be more tolerant of hard water.  I consider the Brazen to be a $200 learning experience, and I would encourage anyone else with hard water to steer clear.
Jenady

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brutus IV-R
Grinder: Rocky, Compak K10
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:04am

jran Said:

I am on my 3rd Brazen.  Original purchase was in December, and the first 2 were replaced under warranty after the valve started buzzing and would not release water.  Now the 3rd one is doing the same thing.  I was able to partially fix it with citric acid descaling, but it still does not drain completely after a brew cycle.  I understand this is probably a hard water scaling issue and is 'my fault' in that regard because my water still contains minerals even though I'm softening and filtering it.

Posted June 22, 2013 link

I am on my second for the same problem. I use softened filtered RO treated water and clean with citric acid regularly. There was no sign of any deposits when the first one failed. I got some resistance from Brazen at first but was told that, since I have a RO system, they would replace it.
roastmybeans

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Mocamaster
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 12:58pm

Received my second Brazen recently so I looked down into the top and see a piece of silicone sealant sticking out of the hole.  I fish it out with a toothpick and see a small piece of stainless? steel sticking out of the silicone ( picture attached ).  The folks at Behmor along with most Canadians on this board will stick their finger in your face and blame you for using the wrong type of water or not maintaining the device properly.  In my opinion, corners were cut in Asia where the unit was manufactured.  The valve is brass and not coated with any type of material that would prevent passivation... so the minute you try to use citric acid or other cleaner a buildup occurs causing the valve to seize.   Let's say that's not the issue.. The unit is still prone to sucking bits of coffee into the opening causing clogs.  Of course anything like these issues  would not be mentioned due to the uproar.... guess it's easier to blame the consumer and hope the warranty runs out before they have to replace it.

roastmybeans: 1371931005834.jpg
showing page 96 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373653173447)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+