Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 45 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 2:04pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

infinus:

Your other easy option is to simply brew smaller batches. There's got to be some point (36 ounces, 30 ounces, 24 ounces....) where even your freshest coffee is not blooming high enough to hit the spray head.

The Brazen makes it so easy to brew, especially with a weighing grinder, that I'm rethinking my whole approach. I've always just brewed a pot of coffee. But, now, I'm realizing that I have other options. For example, I may settle on brewing two 12 ounce mugs. Or, even one 12 ounce mug if the HARIO carafe works with the auto brew cycle.

-----------------

It's funny, because my initial hesitation with the Brazen was wondering if I could live without the 12 cup capacity that I've always brewed. In reality, that's only been a "benefit" because brewing coffee was such a pain in the butt and because most home brewers do such a terrible job with smaller brew sizes.
 View Profile Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 2:09pm

Folks..

Don't forget you do have a Manual Feature.

It's in the manual Page 6: Brew using Manual Release..

Each time you open or close the valve a timer counts UP so you can gauge the release or time closed. Appx water flow is 10ml per second but will slow slightly as head pressure lessens.

Point is you are not confined to our pre-program..

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 2:13pm

Excellent & I'm just blown away with the BraZen Joe!, & the quality of the coffee produced is incomparable to any brewer I've used!!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
infinus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 2:18pm

Yep, the manual feature is what I was talking about in solution 2. I've been bouncing back and forth between manual and automatic.

As to smaller batches, it's a possibility, but I'm brewing for two!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 3:08pm

CraigA Said:

Excellent & I'm just blown away with the BraZen Joe!, & the quality of the coffee produced is incomparable to any brewer I've used!!

Posted October 4, 2012 link

IIRC, I believe that this was predicted in the first Brazen review I read on the internet...  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 3:37pm

frcn Said:

IIRC, I believe that this was predicted in the first Brazen review I read on the internet...  ;-)

Right on Randy, & as soon as I found out about it on your web site., I was there! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
F1

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 4:04pm

So I had the Brazen deliverd this morning. I also own a Technivorm KBT 741. Immediately I brewed my first pot using the same exact measurements(water, grind, pre-soak, blue mountain coffee) that I've been using for years with the Technivorm. First cup tasted very familiar. I'd say slightly better than the Technivorm(not by much though). I'll be selling the Technivorm on craigslist pretty soon. I do have a couple of issues though.

1st. I live in Colorado at an elevation of 5885'. When I calibrated the machine at 6000' it restricted me from going any hotter than 199 degrees F. I still don't understand what do we accomplish by calibrating the machine if we are still going to be restricted  on temp options.

2nd. The measurements I used were 20 grams(2 teaspoons) of coffee with 24ounces of water. After I was done drinking I took a look at the filter holder and noticed that the coffee grinds had almost made it to the top of the paper filter's walls. I think another teaspoon of coffee would have caused the grinds to overflow and make it into the pot.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 4:22pm

F1 Said:

So I had the Brazen deliverd this morning. I also own a Technivorm KBT 741. Immediately I brewed my first pot using the same exact measurements(water, grind, pre-soak, blue mountain coffee) that I've been using for years with the Technivorm. First cup tasted very familiar. I'd say slightly better than the Technivorm(not by much though). I'll be selling the Technivorm on craigslist pretty soon. I do have a couple of issues though.

1st. I live in Colorado at an elevation of 5885'. When I calibrated the machine at 6000' it restricted me from going any hotter than 199 degrees F. I still don't understand what do we accomplish by calibrating the machine if we are still going to be restricted  on temp options.

2nd. The measurements I used were 20 grams(2 teaspoons) of coffee with 24ounces of water. After I was done drinking I took a look at the filter holder and noticed that the coffee grinds had almost made it to the top of the paper filter's walls. I think another teaspoon of coffee would have caused the grinds to overflow and make it into the pot.

The laws of Physics are laws we can't defy, we can only give you an option never before given to get accurate temps at the highest points possible. None of which can any consumer competitor match

1) You are at 6000 with a boiling point of appx 200F (actually just a tad more).

That means every piece of auto brew equipment using boiler technology, which is almost every brewer made by man will suffer an almost 12 degree drop from their seal level performance because boiling point has dropped that amount. So if you are lucky and your technivorm is at the top end of their range being 205, their highest would be appx. 193 at your location. Lowest is 183 (based on their specs of being 195-205)- with both outside the SCAA gold standard range of 195-205.

Whereas with the Brazen we can get you to the edge of boiling (199), while being provided accurate data and within the range as determined by the SCAA to meet the gold standard and you can adjust things such as pre-soak, manual feature etc. And while 6 degrees may not seem to be much ask anyone here how adjusting just two degrees has changed their cup..

2) Your are at a higher elevation, thus less pressure things will expand a little more.

As explained in our feature sheet, we can't defy physics we are just going to allow users to reach temps never before possible in a std auto consumer brewer.

*** the only means by which temperatures can be brought above boiling point at a altitude of conseguence to include 1000 ft., is if it is done in a pressure cooker or under fully sealed pressure.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
Alchemist_John
Alchemist_John

Espresso: Gaggia Achilles
Grinder: Giant Trosser
Drip: Brazen Brewer
Roaster: Zen II (Homemade drum)
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 5:12pm

F1 Said:

For the first, in addition to what Joe said, think of it this way.   Say the system did not have calibration and you set the temperature to 208 F.  It defies the laws of physics that you can reach this temperature (without a boiler).  Your water boils at around 200 F.  So that 208 F you set is really going to be read as '4 degrees less than boiling' or 200-4 or 196 F.  That is the point of calibration.  Accuracy.  So when it says 196 F, it really is 196 F and not 12 degrees (for your altitude) below that.

And your temperature is restricted for just that reason.  Because since you can't reach over the boiling point of water (the system would just hang up boiling the water trying) the range has been restricted to just under the boiling point of your elevation.

As for the second...sounds like your grind might be to fine, but that is just a guess.   Or, it's just fine, and the pre-wet simply brought your coffee up to that level, as it would if you used more.  I use 65 g day in day out, with a grind between a paper filter 'drip' and a french press (I use the metal filter) and have never had any overflow in my many months of daily use.

John Nanci
www.ChocolateAlchemy.com
Founding Alchemist
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 5:28pm

tahoejoe Said:

The laws of Physics are laws we can't defy...

..but we can smack them around a bit. Here is a secret photo from laboratories at an undisclosed location showing the prototype of the Behmor HyperBRAZENbaric chamber allowing anyone to brew at or  below sea level regardless of their location or current barometric pressure. pressure is PID controlled so you get a perfect brew, every time, even if a storm approaches or you are falling from an airplane from 50,000 feet.

frcn: Hyperbaric-Brazen.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 45 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344274044037)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+