Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 44 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 7:34am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

CraigA: th_Smilley_face_animated_wink.gif

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 7:43am

JavaGator Said:

I got the shirt and the beans.  Good thing the shits were XL.

I was wondering if it was best to leave the lid off after brewing to allow the remaining moisture in the tank to evaporate or is it best to wipe it out.  
I have brewed 2 pots so far at 201 deg.  Is the brew strength typically in proportion to the brew temperature with the same amount of beans?
I am using tap water that is filtered with a Pur tap filter that adds minerals to the water.  Will those minerals degrade the brewer faster than demineralized water?

The brewer is awesome looking on the kitchen counter, sort of like a little rocketship.  I really want to take care of this brewer so it lasts a long time and keeps working at maximum efficiency.

Posted October 4, 2012 link

I place it (lid) sorta cockeyed (helluva term) so there is an opening for moisture to escape..

As to tap water, you'll likley need to descale more often for calcium.. we tried vinegar / water mix and others.. all worked fine but require several cycles to clear any/ all remnants of cleaner/ vinegar

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 8:06am

tahoejoe Said:

With all due respect OGH the dispersion disc is a one of kind custom design we spent over 6 months developing to include things never done in any brew head or spray head. The intricacy and care taken for the water to be moved evenly using gravity only required hundreds and hundreds of hours of test and work.

Nothing about the Brazen was copied from any source.

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Gee! Sorry again! I know the brew heads are different. The Bloomfield 2 liter shower head is under pressure
and the Brazen is gravity. Bloomfield's spray head disc  started out as a flat plate with twelve, two-millimeter hoes in a symmetrical pattern, they switched to the 82727 design using 10 smaller holes in non-symmeterical pattern, and a cone bump. The result was better tasting coffee and a slightly longer throughput. The Brazen
shower head is not pressurized so it would, naturally require more area (32 holes) for the water to flow through. All I'm trying to say is the Brazen, like the old Bloomfield have achieved great results from a flat-bottom filter. But please try to remember we all stand on the shoulders of the one's who preceded us.  

What is the diameter of the holes in the Brazen shower head?

oldgearhead: image2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
hankua
hankua
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Major, Rossi, Tanzenia,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, CCD
Roaster: Feima 800n
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:00am

Mine started acting erratically this morning on the .9L setting. First time on that setting only 1/2 of the water released, another time the brewer completed the cycle without releasing any water. Three other times it was perfectly normal, so I'm leaving it unplugged and will try it again tomorrow.
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:03am

tahoejoe Said:

As to tap water, you'll likley need to descale more often for calcium.. we tried vinegar / water mix and others.. all worked fine but require several cycles to clear any/ all remnants of cleaner/ vinegar

I think that one of the best features of the BraZen is the simple, direct water path. The reservoir directly down to the spray head. This should allow easy, complete descaling and cleaning of the reservoir. The inability to get to all the nooks and crannies on normal household coffee makers means that they steadily decline in taste and performance and there is nothing you can really do about it.

I'm assuming that the water drops straight from the reservoir through a solenoid valve to the spray head. Pretty direct. Worst case, I guess you replace the valve and the spray head years down the road and you are good as new.
joc3721

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vertrano
Grinder: Vario, Breville
Vac Pot: Hario, Kalita
Drip: KMB, chemex & Technivorm
Roaster: gene cafe
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:59am

Just got mine yesterday, so far so good, 1st pot excellent.  Question for experienced pros:  When I take the basket out after brewing, I get a big splash of water on the base.  Also, it doesn't seem like the water is fully exiting from the basket, there's kind of a wet slurry in there as opposed to just wet grinds.  Do you need to leave the carafe in longer after the brewing ends so all the water can get fully out of the basket?  Is the splash coming from water/condensation being retained on the brew head?
Iv'e only brewed a few pots, but get a water mess each time.  Also, I'm not crazy about the pouring ease from the carafe.  Overall though, it's great so far.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 12:03pm

joc3721 Said:

Just got mine yesterday, so far so good, 1st pot excellent.  Question for experienced pros:  When I take the basket out after brewing, I get a big splash of water on the base.  Also, it doesn't seem like the water is fully exiting from the basket, there's kind of a wet slurry in there as opposed to just wet grinds.  Do you need to leave the carafe in longer after the brewing ends so all the water can get fully out of the basket?  Is the splash coming from water/condensation being retained on the brew head?
Iv'e only brewed a few pots, but get a water mess each time.  Also, I'm not crazy about the pouring ease from the carafe.  Overall though, it's great so far.

Good call, it is in fact condensation... let the brew basket cool, condensation goes away and into the basket, which is what you are seeing especially if you've pulled the carafe. All of this occurs to some extent with drip brewers.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 12:39pm

Yeah, I get that if I pull the basket right after brewing. Like Joe said, it's less likely if you wait a little bit. I always wipe clean my brewers though so it's not a big deal to me. I just place a paper towel down on the base, pull the basket, and it getting a little wet helps to give everything a wipe down.

I'm still looking for a good way to conquer my bloom though. I don't want to have to wait after grinding beans and it gets my brew head fairly messy when it blooms up that high. I'm doubtfull my roasting habits will change much. At the moment I have 2 methods, neither is ideal, but they work.

1) Hand hold the basket for the pre-soak water. I get less bloom when hand held, I'm pretty sure it's because hand held the basket is getting agitation. After the water is in there, if I give the basket a few shakes after 30 seconds it helps to collapse the bloom and I can slide it in and let it finish out.

2) Manual water dispersion. I've been able to keep the bloom down by manually doing a 4-5 seconds initial water soak vs the 15 seconds it does on the auto cycle. I actually did 2 4 second releases 1 minute apart, 2 minute total soak, then just resumed the auto cycle and that worked well.

Joe, I wish you had made the duty cycle of water on/off programmable! Especially for the pre-soak! I think I'd be fine if I could bring the pre-soak water release down or program in 2 smaller releases vs the 1 bigger one!

Ah well, still can't complain too much, this brewer is such a huge step forward and I'm sure Joe's taking notes as to what people like and don't like.
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 12:47pm

As to the carafe, I do have to admit I find it a bit odd to have such a huge lip on it relative to the hole that liquid exits out from inside. The result is that up to a point, you are fine, but then once you've poured out about half of it, you have to literally tip the carafe beyond vertical to get out the rest.

In the carafe department I put it on par with what I got in my Technivorm (those pour a tad ackward sometimes too). I have an aftermarket caraf however that I like a lot better..... it just doesn't fit underneath the Brazen.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 1:29pm

infinus Said:

Yeah, I get that if I pull the basket right after brewing. Like Joe said, it's less likely if you wait a little bit. I always wipe clean my brewers though so it's not a big deal to me. I just place a paper towel down on the base, pull the basket, and it getting a little wet helps to give everything a wipe down.

I'm still looking for a good way to conquer my bloom though. I don't want to have to wait after grinding beans and it gets my brew head fairly messy when it blooms up that high. I'm doubtfull my roasting habits will change much. At the moment I have 2 methods, neither is ideal, but they work.

1) Hand hold the basket for the pre-soak water. I get less bloom when hand held, I'm pretty sure it's because hand held the basket is getting agitation. After the water is in there, if I give the basket a few shakes after 30 seconds it helps to collapse the bloom and I can slide it in and let it finish out.

2) Manual water dispersion. I've been able to keep the bloom down by manually doing a 4-5 seconds initial water soak vs the 15 seconds it does on the auto cycle. I actually did 2 4 second releases 1 minute apart, 2 minute total soak, then just resumed the auto cycle and that worked well.

Joe, I wish you had made the duty cycle of water on/off programmable! Especially for the pre-soak! I think I'd be fine if I could bring the pre-soak water release down or program in 2 smaller releases vs the 1 bigger one!

Ah well, still can't complain too much, this brewer is such a huge step forward and I'm sure Joe's taking notes as to what people like and don't like.

Points taken.. but we have to get things past engineers and certified through ETL.. they fought parts of the manual release/ override , which don't forget you have as an option..

www.behmor.com

showing page 44 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.365330934525)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+