Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 79 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 3:34pm
Subject: Descaling Procedure

Has anyone with water retention or flow rate issues, descaled the machine successfully and solved the problem?  What procedure did you use?

My machine started acting up a few days ago, and all my efforts to descale have failed.  Actually now the valve is completely clogged, no flow at all.

All my problems started when I descaled the machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:13pm
Subject: Re: Descaling Procedure

I have the same issue. It is not completely clogged but seems to have some debris after descaling where the mesh filter is in the reservoir. For 600ml I do have some water left, for a full pot significantly more. I understand you cannot get at the mesh that you can see in the hole where the water goes. I am concerned that you cannot get at that part to clean it but will try to see what I can do. I emailed Behmor and received a set of instructions which seems quite lengthy to see where the problem is. Maybe someone can shed some light on getting at the area below the mesh filter in the reservoir
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 9:03am

MJW- what we surmise is either the scale flaked versus dissolved or the descaler wasn't fully dissolved.

what product were you using so we can offer other advice?

Same for you Adam

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 10:26am

Hi Joe, I diluted consumer grade citric acid at a ratio of 28g per litre
pgde

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Kitchenaid KPCG100
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:14am
Subject: More Questions

Hi Joe:

Two quick questions:

1. What is the risk of putting the Carafe in the dishwasher? I was thinking perhaps the top rack. I realize the instructions say not to, what is the reason? I can put other stainless steel items in our dishwasher without a problem.
  2. If I can't put it in the dishwasher, can I use Tabz to clean it?

Stay warm!

P.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:04pm
Subject: Re: More Questions

pgde Said:

Hi Joe:

Two quick questions:

What is the risk of putting the Carafe in the dishwasher? I was thinking perhaps the top rack. I realize the instructions say not to, what is the reason? I can put other stainless steel items in our dishwasher without a problem.
If I can't put it in the dishwasher, can I use Tabz to clean it?

Stay warm!

P.

Posted January 13, 2013 link

The reason no dishwasher.. there is a gasket between the top portion (black/ handle) and the main body (stainless steel) that acts as a seal between the two to prevent leakage.. Dishwashers can effect (ruin) the seal

The factory recommends only soap and water, but will ask about Tabz tonight as I'm in communication with them every night.

Adam.. thanks- your data has been sent to our resident chemist and techno guru for his feedback. It could be the amount was too low. One other question- did you heat the mixture you created of water/ citric acid? Or run it through cold on manual? More data is better.

Mike.. As strange as this may sound don't do anything to the system so we can get it back for analysis. The odd occurances, (in your case a first) often can't be replicated in a lab so we can learn from this system.. In other words we want the system- contact us (support@behmor.com)and we'll arrange a swap.

Thanks for everyone's patience but as mentioned despite all our testing in various/ random homes across the US, labs in Asia and homes in Australia we are learning about what can occur in a widespread/ different group of environments due to being in so many homes now. So far it's the tap water which is high in mineral content that is or so early analysis shows to be the culprit.

I apologize for the inconveniences caused but will recommend where possible only use a conditioned water and not straight/ hard tap water as it plays hell on all coffee equipment, plumbing, water heaters etc.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:11pm

Joe, used hot water to dilute it and then mixed to 1.2L of tap water, let it sit, then drained through. I noticed no difference between before and after except for the reservoir being sparkly clean afterwards.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 1:20pm

adam.. thx for the clarification

www.behmor.com

MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 3:24pm

tahoejoe Said:

MJW- what we surmise is either the scale flaked versus dissolved or the descaler wasn't fully dissolved.
what product were you using so we can offer other advice?

Posted January 13, 2013 link

Joe, I saw your other message, and I've sent support a heads up about sending in the machine.  I'd prefer no swap for now, and that you folks figure things out first.

1) I used Dezcal, at 50 grams per liter.  I poured Mavea-filtered water into the top of Brazen and poured the powder in there and stirred to dissolve.  So, the Dezcal needed to dissolve in cold water which I now know is not optimal.  I used manual release to heat it up, drain a little into the valve, and let it sit with lid on for about an hour.

It was after that first descale session that I noticed some stains / flakes bonded to the stainless steel kettle.

2) As I recall I tried a 1:5 mixture of white vinegar and M-filtered water, cold.

After 1) or 2) I noticed water retention and measured a 4-6 mL / s flow rate.  (6 ml/s when draining 900 --> 600; 4 ml/s for 600 --> 0).

3) I tried citric acid at 14 grams, 28 grams, and 50 grams per liter concentrations.  This time I boiled filtered water in a separate kettle, poured into another container, mixed in the citric acid there to stir & dissolve, then poured the mixture into the Brazen and let it sit for 2 hours with lid on.  I poured the mixture out the top, I didn't drain it.  No change on flow rate, stains / flecks still there.

4) I tried white vinegar 1:1 filtered water, boiling in the Brazen using the calibration procedure, and letting sit for a few hours.  I drained the mixture out through the valve.  I measured 7 mL / s flow rate, 600 --> 0 drain.

5) I tried white vinegar 1:1 with filtered water, boiling in the Brazen using the calibration procedure, and letting sit overnight.  Come morning I find the valve clogged and buzzing is louder than normal.
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 3:24pm
Subject: Re: de-scale procedure

Adam and everyone

Here is a procedure our testing shows will clear up the issue:

10% citric acid solution. diluted in water

2 cups of solution is fine..

Pour solution into reservoir and do a manual heat up to appx 150F (heating in the reservoir breaks things up), then a manual release.

It will likley struggle to start if severely blocked, then flow well

Then follow w/ two full heat up standard cycles to clear out any citric acid solution..

Your coffee will taste significantly better and your brewer (all brewers for that matter) will last longer if you use a softened/ conditioned water versus using tap, if you use hard tap water odds are 10-1 you will have at some point in time scale build up.

** the above was tested on 3 systems today and cleared all to include one to have been found almost completely blocked with lime/ scale

www.behmor.com

showing page 79 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315279006958)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+