Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 39 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 4:57pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

My apologies for the problem Craig but am happy it was an easy fix.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tourman
Tourman

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Bodum press
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 5:22pm

BraZen arrived today in good form. Unpacked and calibrated this evening. I'm ready for liftoff in the morning (T minus 9 hours, 30 minutes and counting). I decided I'd spend the rest of my evening reading all these wise posts from those of you who are blazing the trail for the rest of us. It's helping me as I contemplate the morning settings for my 3-day old Sulawesi.

At this point I think I have my game plan for the morning, but the one thing this well-tested group has not commented on for the brew - did you wear your black "I <Heart> My Behmor" t-shirt when you cranked it up for the test run? I'm thinking it's like launching a great ship with that bottle of good champagne across the bow. Wearing "the colors" will be good juju - a good-luck start to what should be the beginning of a great (and long) relationship! Thanks Joe.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 5:54pm

Tourman Said:

BraZen arrived today in good form. Unpacked and calibrated this evening. I'm ready for liftoff in the morning (T minus 9 hours, 30 minutes and counting). I decided I'd spend the rest of my evening reading all these wise posts from those of you who are blazing the trail for the rest of us. It's helping me as I contemplate the morning settings for my 3-day old Sulawesi.

At this point I think I have my game plan for the morning, but the one thing this well-tested group has not commented on for the brew - did you wear your black "I <Heart> My Behmor" t-shirt when you cranked it up for the test run? I'm thinking it's like launching a great ship with that bottle of good champagne across the bow. Wearing "the colors" will be good juju - a good-luck start to what should be the beginning of a great (and long) relationship! Thanks Joe.

Posted October 2, 2012 link

Dan, relax. Programming and operating the Brazen is blood simple.
Follow the manual for initial cleaning and calibration and you're good to go.

BTW, I don't have the t-shirt, nor do i need one with the snazzy t-shirts from my kids middle and high school, paid for, and paid for, and....

Please post your comments.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
Tourman
Tourman

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Bodum press
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 7:01pm

Hey Rob - Have no fear - I'm plenty relaxed here. Just having fun with it all! Since I got my first free t-shirt when I bought my first new Harley, I get a kick out of free shirts with purchases. That said, if I like the product I'm more than willing to advertise with the shirts. Often good conversation starters at the gym. Already convinced one fellow to start roasting on his own after he saw my Burman's bean t-shirt. I've been there w/the kids as well. The shirts are worn out and gone, but I'm still left with some college bills to pay! At least I'm drinking great coffee while I write the checks...and it will be even better in the morning with the BraZen.
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 7:15pm

IMAWriter Said:

However, i find the taste and aroma from the normal (non manual) a 600ml brew cycle plenty good, and comparable to my manual pour over....and less hassle.
I'd say, if the the carafe was any lower/smaller, there might be a problem with the spray pattern slightly overshooting the grind.

Thanks.

I'm thinking the only reason to bother with a cone filter alternative is when you want to brew less than 20 ounces and need a deeper bed of grounds than you can get with the flat basket. Your HARIO rig with say 11 ounces of water in the reservoir to brew 10 ounces of coffee in the carafe would be a "one-mug" option. I'd like to try that with just the normal Brazen cycle and not even bother with the manual pour. 5 ounces of water every 30 seconds shouldn't be too far off the mark.

Does the HARIO flow that much faster than a Melitta? Or is the paper filter the determining factor more than the size of the hole in the drip cone?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 7:18pm

brazen1 Said:

Thanks.

I'm thinking the only reason to bother with a cone filter alternative is when you want to brew less than 20 ounces and need a deeper bed of grounds than you can get with the flat basket. Your HARIO rig with say 11 ounces of water in the reservoir to brew 10 ounces of coffee in the carafe would be a "one-mug" option. I'd like to try that with just the normal Brazen cycle and not even bother with the manual pour. 5 ounces of water every 30 seconds shouldn't be too far off the mark.

Does the HARIO flow that much faster than a Melitta? Or is the paper filter the determining factor more than the size of the hole in the drip cone?

Whoops, for clarification, I was referring to the HARIO carafe, not the Brazen's!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 7:46pm

Tourman Said:

3 Day old-- recommend 1:20-1:30 minimum pre-soak (I've never had an issue of bloom w/ those times at 3 days) and watch the grind size if using the gold filter..

Then experiment with grind sizes and temps. I started at 202 and at times 203 to 204. I know one expert cupper who likes 205 setting.. That's the beauty of the BraZen..

And I love the wearing of the colors and hope you enjoy the ride

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
kendog1967

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 8:38pm

Hello everyone. I have been watching this thread for a while now. This one and a couple others. I love a good cup of coffee and with that being said these good "cups of coffee" happen outside of my home. I would like to change that. This machine looks to be the answer but I am left wondering if it is right for me.

I am coming from about 9-10 years of using a Bunn coffee maker. One lasted about 6 years and sprung a leak and was trashed. Current Bunn lasted about 4 and is demonstrating the same leaking issue. I do grind my own beans using a Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder. Certainly not top of the line but it does a good job. Usually I get the beans at Sams Club (Members Mark). Occasionally from a local grocer, 8 o'clock bean, etc.

Bottom line is will I get/taste this machines true potential with what I am working with? Or am I buying a Ferrari to deliver pizzas? Total overkill in other words. I was also looking at a Bonavita which looks like a great machine but when I came across this Behmor Brazen Brewer it looked like the bees knees and became the one I wanted. Thank you for any insight or recommendations. Also if this is the wrong place to ask such a question please move this to an appropriate area. Again, thanks.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 8:51pm

Ken the BraZen will certainly maximize what you can get out of what you have. Your Capresso Infinity will do a decent job of grinding for drip, certainly better than any whirly-blade bean smasher would do. While the beans you're currently getting probably aren't the freshest, you'll still be able to get more flavor out of them with the time and temperature options you have available on the BraZen.

A warning, though sometimes a better brewer can start revealing flaws in the beans that you're using and you start to want something better, more balanced, and more flavorful. It can be a slippery slope, leading to mail-order coffee and then <gasp> home-roasting. Just sayin'.
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 10:04pm

Kendog:

I think you'll be fine with your grinder and beans with the BraZen. It's just a drip coffee maker -- just one that actually works properly. I was seriously considering a BUNN HT Phase Brew, but it appears to be plagued by an attempt to open the drip value mechanically based on a piece of metal bending when the right temp is reached. The BraZen does it the right way with a temp sensor and a microprocessor controlled valve.

All of the adjustment potential for the BraZen is fun and all, but I wouldn't let that overshadow the fact that it's just a good solid drip brewer. I I love the fact that the water pours in the top, gets heated in the stainless steel top (just like a pot on the stove) and then them dumps straight out a hole in the bottom of the top onto the coffee. Couldn't be simpler. And, it can actually be cleaned every once in a while to keep the thing in tip-top shape for years.

I'm brewing Dunkin Donuts whole beans in mine right now. It's making a fantastic cup of coffee. I doubt the grind matters very much with a paper filter drip brewer. There's a lot of lattitude there.

----------------

PS: I did back to back brews with 60 grams of DD versus 56 grams. I did end up preferring the 60 grams.
showing page 39 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320136785507)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+