Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
First Impressions - New Brazen Coffee Brewer from Behmor
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > First...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
garyhow

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:27am
Subject: First Impressions - New Brazen Coffee Brewer from Behmor

The Brazen arrived last night via Fed EX from Roastmasters fresh off the Boat..

Setup was pretty intuitive... I proceeded to set the following on the Brazen:

Current time
Desired brew temperature (I chose 205 degrees)
Altitude Correction (500 feet for my location in Virginia)
Desired Pre-Soak time (I chose a 1:30 min presoak)

I ran a one full pot of water without any coffee  thru the Brewer to watch it work and to basically clean out the new Brazen...

This morning I ground a blend of beans I had previously roasted in my Behmor 1600 roaster (Indian Monsooned Malibar and Nicaug.) and brewed my first pot of coffee in the Brazen

Note: For the last three years I've been using a Technivorm MocaMaster, a pretty good coffee brewer as most know..

First Impressions:

The coffee brewed with no surprises...

On the display panel you can observe the progress of the brewer... Things like the temperature as it moves up to the programmed 205 degrees is displayed.
Once the desired temp is reached, you're notified, and then a message that the Pre-Soak has begun...
After the Pre-Soak, the Brewing message is displayed, I'm pretty sure, but I'm going from memory....
Bottom line is you're kept informed as to the progress of the Brewing cycle...
Once completed, three quiet beeps alert you that the coffee is ready...

I served up a cup for the wife and I, our morning ritual, and the first question she asked was "Is this the same coffee we've had for the last couple of days?", No, joke...
I answered "yes" and she commented that it tasted different, better than before, she thought it was really good.... Not very scientific I know, but she noticed a difference and she really liked it...
For my part, I came to the same conclusion very quickly. The brew was hotter, smoother and better tasting than it had been coming from the Technivorm... And believe me I love my Technivorm... (Which now sits on a shelf and is actually for sale on the Buy Sell Forum)

Down Side so Far: It takes a while to brew the coffee, probably at least a third longer brew cycle time than the MocaMaster... Again no stopwatches used, not scientific, just standing there watching the pot... But It is a long brew cycle...

As advertised, the water is brought to your desired temperature which can range from 190 - 210 degrees. Has less distance to travel to the pot, so the coffee seems much hotter than the Technivorms, and it has a built in pre-soak which allows the coffee to bloom to enhance the flavors.... To be fair, you can manually do a presoak with the Technivorm, but the Brazens preset feature is pretty cool, pretty nice...

So far - So Good - the Brazen is already a hit with me.... Hope the electronics hold out... The technivorm was simpler and functional..... The Brazen has more pizzazz and makes a really good cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:50am
Subject: Re: First Impressions - New Brazen Coffee Brewer from Behmor

Thank you for the observation and will if I may address the cycle time.

Because we use proportional controls we lower heat to the elements so we don't overshoot the set point. Originally we had it still fairly strong at the finish and found we zoomed by like a speeding car through a stop sign. So for accuracy we slowed it down and then add on pre-soak. Combined the slow down and pre-soak add about 1-2 minutes depending upon how long you set the pre-soak.

The other factor is the temperature of your water to start..

Actual brew time post pre-soak, is in the SCAA range of 4-5 minutes

Bottom line, yes you are correct, the full cycle does take longer than others but it is done to insure accuracy of water temps and quality in your cup.. both being primary goals of ours

As to the electronics, my background is 20+ years in the semiconductor field as an FAE and truthfully knowing how the system works/designed and the requirements placed on us by ETL, which in one case required we resize all buttons my 1mm to prevent water insertion, is not a major concern of mine. But recognize and understand why it could be..

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
garyhow

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:58am

tahoejoe Said:

Thank you for the observation and will if I may address the cycle time.

Because we use proportional controls we lower heat to the elements so we don't overshoot the set point. Originally we had it still fairly strong at the finish and found we zoomed by like a speeding car through a stop sign. So for accuracy we slowed it down and then add on pre-soak. Combined the slow down and pre-soak add about 1-2 minutes depending upon how long you set the pre-soak.

The other factor is the temperature of your water to start..

Actual brew time post pre-soak, is in the SCAA range of 4-5 minutes

Bottom line, yes you are correct, the full cycle does take longer than others but it is done to insure accuracy of water temps and quality in your cup.. both being primary goals of ours

Posted October 3, 2012 link

Thanks for the response!... quite frankly, the additional brew time isn't a problem for me, especially since I think I just had two cups of superior coffee this morning... I simply have to adjust a routine that I've been following for the last three years...

Also of note, as part of my routine using the Technivorm, I would pre-heat the MocaMaster Thermal Canister and the oversized cups that the wife and I drink out of each morning with hot water... This morning I bypassed the preheat of the Brazen Thermal and the cups and the coffee was still nice and hot... So there was a tradeoff in effort.... I really like the Brazen so far!
Perked
Perked

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 6:06am

Thank you very much for chiming in here Joe. I've just started to look into this. Not quite finished the other thread yet but I'm catching up :D

Good to know why the cycle is longer.
Idfliers

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Burr
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Behmor 1600 (I love this...
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:22pm

Thanks for the post. Just placed an order with Roastmasters and even kicked up the shipping to get it here quicker!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 12:33pm

Darn you for saying such nice things about yet another brewer, another one that is going to nag at me for quite a while unless I buy it!

DARN YOU! DARN YOU! DARN YOU! DARN YOU! DARN YOU!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 1:03pm

calblacksmith Said:

Darn you for saying such nice things about yet another brewer, another one that is going to nag at me for quite a while unless I buy it!

Posted October 5, 2012 link

Wayne, come to the dark side - we have coffee.

And maybe a doughnut or two.
garyhow

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 5:07pm

calblacksmith Said:

Posted October 5, 2012 link

I thought I had better try it again this morning just to be sure... Still good...
roastmybeans

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Mocamaster
Roaster: Nesco
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 5:53am

did you run yours through a calibration cycle?

I recently received my Brazen.  Still working on temps and grinds to dial things in.  My few gripes are:

temp of final product is cold .. Even after warming up the pot with hot water.  Add cold cream and now it's time for the microwave.

The pot is difficult to pour.  You have to tip the pot almost completely upside down to get it to pour.

Big blue LED screen that is always on showing very tiny hard to read time.

Any other user reviews?
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 7:22am

"temp of final product is cold"

Could you be a bit more precise?  What is the temp of the brewed coffee?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > First...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300713062286)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+