Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 41 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:25am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

oldgearhead Said:

I'm glad to know about the shower head. Can you post a picture of one?

Posted October 3, 2012 link

It's not a metal or screw off one like on a commercial BUNN & the like, & it's a 32 hole brew/spray head integrated into the bottom side of the water tank & replaceable/detachable.

P.S. I just did my first brew hr ago, a three 10oz non manual brew (30 oz) of 2 day old fresh Behmor home roasted Colombian Supremo & guessed-imated on the pre-soak (45 secs) & brew temp of 199F. EXCELLENT!! {;-D
Blow is a pic of the shower/brew head.

P.P.S. Just HAD to make a 2nd pot approx hr after the 1st, & I'm pretty much in Heaven now!

CraigA: php7yA1wtAM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:27am

oldgearhead Said:

Humm, Most commercial brewers are also adjustable and stable (+/- 1 degree C). I'm glad to know about the shower head. Can you post a picture of one?

Bloom - Even with 1.75 inches of space above the Melitta #4 plus 72 grams of ground beans, the bloom still touches the water inlet spout, but the head pops off for a quick rinse. How much space above the coffe in a
Brazen?

Following SCAA gold cup standards we measured the volume of SCAE stds for 1.2L (77 grams) did x 1.50 (SCAA std) and added additonal onto that for good measure.

As to temps. Recently one distributor took a Brazen and another brewer (SCAA certified) to an elevation of 2000 ft. Each had been used at sealevel with the Brazen set at 200 to match that of the other unit output. In the mountains the other unit dropped as expected 3-4 degrees whereas the Brazen (recalibrated for altitude) stood tall at its set point of 200, consistently.

What we have not yet touted, but will be soon, is the weakness of ALL the other brewers at altitude when dealing with the drop point of boiling.

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:57am

oldgearhead Said:

Humm, Most commercial brewers are also adjustable and stable (+/- 1 degree C).

Most? Based on what? Most sold today? Most of those in current use? And stable to 1C? Most commercial brewers are designed around speed. The few commercial brewers I have worked on were adjustable, but it required removal of parts to access the internal adjustment, and there was no display to tell what the adjusted temperature was, so a separate digital thermometer and thermocouple has to be used. And after all that there is no way to adjust to taste, roast, nor blend on the fly. A quick internet search revealed very few brewers that had an external adjustment and display to show real-time temperature.

At twice the price there is nothing to compare with the Brazen for home brewers. Are there ANY brewers that are able to be user-calibrated with a few push buttons for altitude as well as for electronic component drift? Any with user-adjustable/programmable pre-soak? The point is that the Brazen has created an entirely new class of brewer. The adjustable temperature alone should make that quite clear.

There are plenty of brewers available for the masses selling for $15 to $300 (from the Mr. Coffee at X-Mart to the Technivorm), and for the masses who buy their coffee in large red or blue jugs, ready to be scooped into a filter paper, they are fine.  For those of us looking for the sort off control that a fine espresso machine affords its user, the Brazen is a one-machine revolution in this regard. Being that it sells for $100 less than the old "gold standard" of drip brewers (the Technivorm) is just a part of the allure.

Now, to be fair, the Brazen is new. Will it last? No one knows. But the customer service and support that Joe and Behmor is known for are among a handful of companies that are always mentioned as top-notch. If your Dilongi (sic) has a problem, will the designer call you at home to help fix it?

I once took a three minute interview for a sales job that ended up being a boiler room tool sales job which I declined. The manager took me into the boiler room to listen to one sale pitch. The salesman was talking to a client, and he told him, "Yes. This socket set is comparable to Mac tools." Then he put his hand over the mouthpiece, turned to me and said, "You can compare them all day long... they just aren't as good. So, sure, these other brewers are comparable to the Brazen, and they all fall short.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 10:28am

frcn Said:

There are plenty of brewers available for the masses selling for $15 to $300 (from the Mr. Coffee at X-Mart to the Technivorm), and for the masses who buy their coffee in large red or blue jugs, ready to be scooped into a filter paper, they are fine.  

Ha. Considering that most of the brands seem to have forgotten how to make a carafe that doesn't dribble or include a water opening that's actually big enough to pour a carafe of water into, I would argue that they not only aren't fine, but aren't even as good as they were 20 years ago. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 10:31am

Hey Webb,

This carafe works perfectly!, & the opening on top is 2".

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 10:41am

I think Web was trying to say two separate things:
- that most carafes dribble when you pour
- the water reservoir openings are too small to easily fill.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:52am

Yes, I got that Randy., I was just vouching for the Brazen carafe..

brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 11:53am

CraigA Said:

This carafe works perfectly!, & the opening on top is 2".

Yeah. The Brazen carafe is fine. Not quite as nice as the Thermos Nissan carafes, but functional. No problem. I like how easy it is to rinse out the sealing/pouring mechanism.

And, I certainly have no complaints about the size of the opening of the water reservoir on top of the brewer. I can even hit that one before my first cup of coffee in the morning!

-----------

I made my first half pot today: .6 liters/20 ounces. I guess this is the smallest recommended batch. Made two 10 ounce mugs of good coffee. As easy (dare I say fun?) as it is to make coffee with the VARIO-W and the BraZen, this may be my standard pot most of the time.

I may go a click finer on the grind with the smaller batch size.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:42pm

Its a proud moment to be one of the first people in Canada to own one of these Brewers. Looking forward to testing and publishing :)
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 12:54pm

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

Its a proud moment to be one of the first people in Canada to own one of these Brewers. Looking forward to testing and publishing :)

Absolutely Adam!

I wonder who got the first one in Canada? I'm looking forward to exploring this great brewer & sharing my testing, tasting., & thoughts too.
Cheers!

showing page 41 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388493061066)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+