Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 108 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Idfliers

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville Burr
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Behmor 1600 (I love this...
Posted Tue Mar 4, 2014, 5:17pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Dang. Looks like we aren't the only one who had their Brazen die out. I'd actually given up on it after repeated cleaning and the stupid thing still won't pump water anymore. We only used filtered water in it too. When we first got it, we were really on the fene either it or the Technivorm machine. Wishing now we had of gone the other way, but this one sounded so nice and I loved the Behmor roaster we had, so we gave it a shot. Got hit with the dribble carafe which is aggravating as heck and behmor suggested sanding the lip I think it was. Then took our nice fancy Brazen over to our sons and it wouldn't work again. lol. He pulled out his $25 Mr Coffee and made coffee for everyone while our Brazen got laughed at. lol It's still over at his house on a shelf. We gave up and bought a flippin Keurig.  
Just saw this thread while researching grinders as we still have our special blends we like even with the Keruig. May break down and get the TEchnivorm after all, but I guess I can get the brazen back and see what Behmor wants to do with it. Just depressing.
 View Profile Link to this post
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 4, 2014, 6:26pm

Idfliers Said:

Dang. Looks like we aren't the only one who had their Brazen die out. I'd actually given up on it after repeated cleaning and the stupid thing still won't pump water anymore. We only used filtered water in it too. When we first got it, we were really on the fene either it or the Technivorm machine. Wishing now we had of gone the other way, but this one sounded so nice and I loved the Behmor roaster we had, so we gave it a shot. Got hit with the dribble carafe which is aggravating as heck and behmor suggested sanding the lip I think it was. Then took our nice fancy Brazen over to our sons and it wouldn't work again. lol. He pulled out his $25 Mr Coffee and made coffee for everyone while our Brazen got laughed at. lol It's still over at his house on a shelf. We gave up and bought a flippin Keurig.  
Just saw this thread while researching grinders as we still have our special blends we like even with the Keruig. May break down and get the TEchnivorm after all, but I guess I can get the brazen back and see what Behmor wants to do with it. Just depressing.

Posted March 4, 2014 link

Contact Behmor via their customer support page on the web site. I'd be very surprised if they do not replace your non-functioning unit. I think there were problems with the early production units which now seem to have been rectified. There's a fix for the carafe issue, and the water release system has been redesigned on the replacement units. They removed the screen on the water drain orifice for one thing. I suspect the water release valves were problematic as well. My replacement unit is working fine after 5 months with no sign of the earlier incomplete reservoir drain issues (which showed up almost immediately).

IMO the coffee from the Brazen is superior to that of the Technivorm, once the Brazen is properly dialed in.

Good luck.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 10:11am

I'm really interested in getting a Brazen...  at the same time don't want the hassle of stuff going wrong. Even with great cust serv. I would only want a more currently made unit, ALSO WITH the newer no-dribble carafe, as to hopefully avoid mentioned problems. Another poster wondered about original models still sitting on retailer shelves waiting to be sold---I don't want to chance that. I love the capabilities of this brewer!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 11:13am

The three most-often failures and complaints were (and solutions as I understand them):
 1 - The filter screen in the reservoir's release hole clogged causing low flow. Current models no longer have the screen.
 2 - Reservoir failed to empty completely due to chamber partial vacuum. The carafe lids on very early models were not "cooked" by the factory after molding and expanded due to the heat from the hot water and sealed the chamber. No longer a problem (replacement lids were sent upon request).
 3 - The dribbling carafe. They redesigned the spout and now no more dribbles. Update kits for old carafes were sent out for user-replacement upon request.
If there is better customer service out there I have not heard about it. When I head to Seattle for the Show I already asked my wife which brewing method she wants set up for when I am gone. Her choices were many (Aeropress, VBM Double, Sowden, Espro, and many others). When asked, she immediately pointed to the Brazen.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 11:51am

msboo Said:

I'm really interested in getting a Brazen...  at the same time don't want the hassle of stuff going wrong. Even with great cust serv. I would only want a more currently made unit, ALSO WITH the newer no-dribble carafe, as to hopefully avoid mentioned problems. Another poster wondered about original models still sitting on retailer shelves waiting to be sold---I don't want to chance that. I love the capabilities of this brewer!

Posted March 6, 2014 link

In a previous message on this or another Brazen thread, Joe Behm said they had gone through and retro-fitted all the units in stock. Not sure if this applies to all units on dealer shelves. Perhaps an email to Behmor customer service will clarify this. Also your preferred retailer should be able to tell you if their stock has been modified.

As I understand it, the modification consisted of removing the screen in the drain orifice. If you buy a Brazen and it does not have the screen you've probably got a good one. I'm not sure if they retro-fitted the carafes or just plan to ship the change over kit.

At any rate, if there's a problem, there is no hassle to obtaining a replacement. With mine, they shipped a new unit and told me to return the old one in the new one's packaging. There was a prepaid UPS label so the only "hassle" was dropping it off at a UPS location.

The carafe fix arrived promptly and was installed in minutes.

All in all, the quality of the coffee produced by the Brazen is well worth the effort it took to deal with the early model glitches I ran into. I have only had my perfectly functioning replacement unit for 5 months or so, so longevity is still a concern. However, if my Brazen lasts for two or more years, I'd buy a replacement in a heartbeat if it dies.
1canuck2

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Clever Coffee Dripper,...
Drip: DeLonghi DCM900
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 8:00pm

I have owned my Brazen since November. It is the newer model, not original batch. Just thought I'd chime in with some thoughts

I have swapped in the new spout, and while it is improved, its still annoying. If you push the "button" on the lid all the way to pen the spout, it opens up too wide and the pour spreads wide from surface tension or something and I often still make a mess on my counter. The fix is to gently press the button a small amount and it seems to control the pour rate enough to keep the pour "thin". Anyone else see this?

I am incapable of brewing a full pot with fresh beans. The bloom goes high enough (with the correct amount of ground coffee for what a full amount of water represents) that it "smushes" into the spray head and makes a ridiculous mess. I have taken to brewing no more than 4 cups of water (with 10 tablespoons of ground coffee) at a time. If I fill up the reservoir full (~5.5 cups of water with 14 tablespoons coffee) i get a mess and nasty cleanup job. Anyone able to brew a full pot?

With respect to "Reservoir failed to empty completely due to chamber partial vacuum. The carafe lids on very early models were not "cooked" by the factory after molding and expanded due to the heat from the hot water and sealed the chamber. No longer a problem (replacement lids were sent upon request)."
I still have this problem. Its not because of the carafe lid. I think you mean the water chamber lid. Either way, the problem still exists. The cause is that by the time the water is up to temp, it is steaming, and the steam creates the seal, not the expansion of the lid. (In my observation). If it is getting towards the end of the brew, and I remove the lid, I can see the moisture gathered there and almost feel the seal it created.

I love the control and settings the brewer provides. I love the coffee it makes (providing I don't brew a full pot), so I am mostly happy and would recommend it to any anal coffee brewer looking for an electric drip brew option, just don't make a full pot!!
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 8:13pm

I brew a full pot once in awhile and base the grounds measurement on the following formula: 55grams per litre of water which would be 66 grams for a full pot of 1.2L. For bloom, which occurs with fresher roast, I increase the pre-soak time to as much as two minutes (possibly longer if you need to). Also if you grind the coffee courser for a full pot it works best (just a bit courser than the consistency of kosher salt) because the longer brew time allows for greater saturation. When I do a single mug which is opposite totally to a full pot, I use 33 grams of coffee and grind a bit finer and I can reduce the pre-soak to 30 seconds on the retail beans I buy.
imsnowbear
imsnowbear

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 3:40am

1canuck2 Said:

I have owned my Brazen since November. It is the newer model, not original batch. Just thought I'd chime in with some thoughts

I have swapped in the new spout, and while it is improved, its still annoying. If you push the "button" on the lid all the way to pen the spout, it opens up too wide and the pour spreads wide from surface tension or something and I often still make a mess on my counter. The fix is to gently press the button a small amount and it seems to control the pour rate enough to keep the pour "thin". Anyone else see this?

I am incapable of brewing a full pot with fresh beans. The bloom goes high enough (with the correct amount of ground coffee for what a full amount of water represents) that it "smushes" into the spray head and makes a ridiculous mess. I have taken to brewing no more than 4 cups of water (with 10 tablespoons of ground coffee) at a time. If I fill up the reservoir full (~5.5 cups of water with 14 tablespoons coffee) i get a mess and nasty cleanup job. Anyone able to brew a full pot?

With respect to "Reservoir failed to empty completely due to chamber partial vacuum. The carafe lids on very early models were not "cooked" by the factory after molding and expanded due to the heat from the hot water and sealed the chamber. No longer a problem (replacement lids were sent upon request)."
I still have this problem. Its not because of the carafe lid. I think you mean the water chamber lid. Either way, the problem still exists. The cause is that by the time the water is up to temp, it is steaming, and the steam creates the seal, not the expansion of the lid. (In my observation). If it is getting towards the end of the brew, and I remove the lid, I can see the moisture gathered there and almost feel the seal it created.

I love the control and settings the brewer provides. I love the coffee it makes (providing I don't brew a full pot), so I am mostly happy and would recommend it to any anal coffee brewer looking for an electric drip brew option, just don't make a full pot!!

Posted March 23, 2014 link

I concur with the advice to increase the pre-infusion time. Also, with my original Behmor reservoir lid, drilling a small hole in the lid alleviated the incomplete emptying issue, at least until the water released valve failed. Behmor quickly replaced the original unit, of course.

66 grams pf cpffee for 1.2 liter water capacity is the correct proportion.

My experience with this company led me to buy their 1600 roaster, abandoning the SC/TO method I'd used for years. First class products and company.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 9:18am

The_Coffee_Guy.....  how much water do you use for your "single mug" w/33g of coffee in your Brazen?
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 9:26am

My single mug is the amount of water to the calibration line (which is 600ml) so I actually get more than a mug...and for that I use 33grams, for 900ml (second line) I use 50 grams and for a full pot (top line or 1.2L) I use 66 grams. The brew is so good that anything less than 600ml would leave me wanting to brew again anyway :)
showing page 108 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321676969528)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+