Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 40 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 11:19pm
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

I ordered a HARIO for single serve brewing in the BraZen. I figure I'm fine for two 10 ounce mugs using the standard BraZen drip basket and carafe, but I might occasionally like to brew a single 10 to 14 ounce travel mug.

So, I ordered this HARIO drip decanter.

http://www.hariogear.com.au/images/VDD-02B.jpg

It's all in one, like a Chemex, but has an 02 size Hario drip cone that fits down in the top. The whole thing can be heated in the microwave, with a silicone hand grip.

Measures just under 7 3/4 inches tall, so it should slide under the BraZen spray head with about an inch to spare, which is good because the filters stick up a little above the rim.

I think I'll be able to pour 15 ounces of water in the Brazen, hit the auto brew cycle and end up with 14 ounces or so of coffee in this decanter. I don't think 5 ounces of water at a time will overflow the filter, but I can always use manual if need be.

I'll let ya know how it works out.
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 7:16am

EricBNC Said:

Why is this bad form? Most coffee brewer threads have posters presenting alternative brands with regularity.

Also, the spec's for the Delonghi DCM900 are impressive as it is based on the Kenwood design that meets the Gold standard set by the Norwegian Coffee Association which is similar to SCAA approval. To say the brew quality does not compare is misleading information.

Posted October 2, 2012 link

Very sorry! As you pointed out, I should have said pre-infusion. The Kenwood/Delonghi DCM900 is a very unreliable, out-of-production, unit. You need to have the skills to repair it before buying one. However, it is one of the very few 'available' drip brewers that WILL get the water temperature to 200F+. That is why I mentioned it on this 'Brazen' thread.

I probably should not have mentoioned the price difference, but when my old DCM900 went belly up, and my wife dropped my Chemex ($42.90), I was forced to drink coffee from an old (179F Brewing temp) Mr. Coffee ($39.95), and the price as well as lead time was important to me....btw - Unless the shower head is as good as the one (fine) on my Bloomfield air-pot brewer, I prefer Melitta. Note - I mentioned the Bloomfield because it also will get the water hot...
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 7:24am

oldgearhead Said:

Unless the shower head is as good as the one (fine) on my Bloomfield air-pot brewer, I prefer Melitta. Note - I mentioned the Bloomfield because it also will get the water hot...

Posted October 3, 2012 link

The shower head on the BraZen is more even than any shower head I've seen on any other brewer, consumer or professional. But, until you actually try one, you won't know that, will you? And the temperature control is substantially more accurate, granular, and programmable than anything else that's out there right now.
infinus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 7:37am

This mornings brew with a 3 minute presoak and some 1 day old beans went way over my filter! Ugh.

I have a new theory I'm working on, need to play with it more, but it has to do with being able to get rid of all that co2. I think (just guessing at this point) that the bloom I get when the basket is slid into the holder is actually bigger than the bloom I get when I hand hold the basket underneath. My only guess I can reason out in my head is that there's more air restriction for venting all that co2 when the basket is slid into the holder and hence all those bubbles don't pop and go away as readily.

So a long pre-soak isn't a for sure resolution.

More evidence, I hand held a basket and brewed a cycle with a 1 minute presoak and had no overflow issues with the same bean, same grind, same temp!

If it's not something to do with air restriction, maybe it's a difference in brew basket temperature between hand holding and slid into the holder.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:09am

Picking mine up in 1 hour wooohoooooo!!!!
Tourman
Tourman

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Bodum press
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:37am

tahoejoe Said:

3 Day old-- recommend 1:20-1:30 minimum pre-soak (I've never had an issue of bloom w/ those times at 3 days) and watch the grind size if using the gold filter..

Then experiment with grind sizes and temps. I started at 202 and at times 203 to 204. I know one expert cupper who likes 205 setting.. That's the beauty of the BraZen..

And I love the wearing of the colors and hope you enjoy the ride

Posted October 2, 2012 link

I had the pre-soak set for 2 minutes - had no problems with that. My first pot/experience this morning was mixed, in that the cup was not as strong as I've been used to. Context is everything though. I've been making French press every morning for the past three years since I started roasting my own in the Behmor, so I've been using a much higher bean-water ratio than Joe's recommended 55-60 grams/liter for the BraZen. In part, that's because the grind had to be coarse (using my Vario) for the press.

Today's ratio on my first pot was probably closer to 65-68 grams per liter, so the bean weight was high. That would suggest I should play with the grind now - moving to a little finer grind (the extraction time may need to be slowed). Temp was 205. I'm also aware that my tastes need to be finessed to get used to a drip cup again. Press pot is more blunt - in your face - flavor and experience...all the way down to the bottom of the cup (and mud). The point - it's not all about the machine but also about type of extraction going on (press vs. drip) and how the extraction approach impacts flavor, etc. Lots to play with here!

And yes, I had my black Behmor t-shirt on at 5:30 in the morning when I brewed the first pot. I was standing as proud and tall as I could, that early in the morn!
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:48am

infinus Said:

This mornings brew with a 3 minute presoak and some 1 day old beans went way over my filter! Ugh.

I have a new theory I'm working on, need to play with it more, but it has to do with being able to get rid of all that co2. I think (just guessing at this point) that the bloom I get when the basket is slid into the holder is actually bigger than the bloom I get when I hand hold the basket underneath. My only guess I can reason out in my head is that there's more air restriction for venting all that co2 when the basket is slid into the holder and hence all those bubbles don't pop and go away as readily.

So a long pre-soak isn't a for sure resolution.

More evidence, I hand held a basket and brewed a cycle with a 1 minute presoak and had no overflow issues with the same bean, same grind, same temp!

If it's not something to do with air restriction, maybe it's a difference in brew basket temperature between hand holding and slid into the holder.

The 1 day old is the major contributing factor-  but let's try another experiment and one I use at home.

My wife has a 3-5 miles walk rountine every day. When she is putting her shoes on I grind and then set the timer for 30-35 minutes after she left so that it is now on auto. This will give the beans additional time to degas.. The system is so easy to adjust the auto time (it's the first setting) it takes all of about 20 seconds.

I should add, Monday I had a discussion with a professsional roaster w/ 5 storefronts.. he said 1-2 day old roast even in professional FetCo would top over from the gas...

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:59am

GVDub Said:

The shower head on the BraZen is more even than any shower head I've seen on any other brewer, consumer or professional. But, until you actually try one, you won't know that, will you? And the temperature control is substantially more accurate, granular, and programmable than anything else that's out there right now.

Humm, Most commercial brewers are also adjustable and stable (+/- 1 degree C). I'm glad to know about the shower head. Can you post a picture of one?

Bloom - Even with 1.75 inches of space above the Melitta #4 plus 72 grams of ground beans, the bloom still touches the water inlet spout, but the head pops off for a quick rinse. How much space above the coffe in a
Brazen?

oldgearhead: DSC_8322.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:20am

oldgearhead Said:

Humm, Most commercial brewers are also adjustable and stable (+/- 1 degree C). I'm glad to know about the shower head. Can you post a picture of one?

From conversations with Joe, he's told me, informally, that the Brazen has an accuracy of .5 F, which would be, what .3 C?  And since most commercial brewers get that thermal stability by keeping a large reservoir of water at temperature instead of heating on demand, the energy cost of a commercial system is substantially higher.  Ii don't have a photo of the shower, but there's a rendering of it here, if you scroll down the page a bit.

Bloom - Even with 1.75 inches of space above the Melitta #4 plus 72 grams of ground beans, the bloom still touches the water inlet spout, but the head pops off for a quick rinse. How much space above the coffe in a
Brazen?

Since my brewer is currently about 40 miles away from where I am, couldn't give you a measurement. I haven't had any problems witih bloom, but then I'm not one to brew coffee on less than 3 days rest. I think the bloom pattern on a Melitta cone filter is higher than in a basket, though, by a substantial amount, due to the larger surface area of the flat coffee bed. At least such has been my observations going from Clever to Melitta to Brazen.
infinus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:20am

Pics are on my review page here
showing page 40 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.362457990646)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+