Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 35 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

With my luck I'll get the kosher salt measurement right with my Encore grinder and put the salt in the basket by accident
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:18am

IMAWriter Said:

In the past, brewers like my BunnSTX required a slightly finer than "commercial drip" grind, as the brew time is VERY fast...too fast IMO, 4 minutes for 1.75 liters! (the water is at 200f in the tank, so no time is needed to heat water)

Posted October 1, 2012 link

Well my Bunn Thermofresh BTX-B is rated to do a full brew in 3 minutes (50oz), not 4 Rob., but that may de different than yours. The commercial Bunns ( I have several VPR's VPR-APS's) are rated to do a full US gallon (64oz) brew in 4 minutes.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:21am

are we having fun yet?

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:27am

I can hardly wait to get mine!!

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:34am

CraigA Said:

Well my Bunn Thermofresh BTX-B is rated to do a full brew in 3 minutes (50oz), not 4 Rob., but that may de different than yours. The commercial Bunns ( I have several VPR's VPR-APS's) are rated to do a full US gallon (64oz) brew in 4 minutes.

):-0   if you need coffee that quickly, just chew a mouthful of beans!  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:39am

CraigA Said:

Well, i was guess-timating.
I use the 3 hole sprayer, which slows things down a bit.
Sheesh, what nitpicker! LOL

My POINT was that I use a finer grind to slow things down a bit, as well as saving precious coffee.
Old habits die hard. ;>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 12:50pm

I'm finding the Bunn LPG I picked up from the BST forum to be pretty much a perfect match for the Brazen. After a couple of weeks of use, brewing my homeroast blend of Brazilian pulp natural, Guatemalan, and Sumatran, I've settled on 204 as optimum for the blend as currently roasted (Brazil and Guat on the light side of Full City and Sumatran FC+). The LPG's uni-modal grind (well, it's still bi-modal, only much lighter on the fines than an espresso grinder) is designed for drip and I'm getting uniformly excellent results.

Haven't made less than a full 1.2L pot yet (heck, one full pot barely gets me and my wife out the door in the morning), but plan on doing some experimentation over the coming weekend with manual brewing in my CCD, partial pots, dialing in grind on one of the hand grinders for small brews of specialty stuff, etc.
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 12:55pm

IMAWriter Said:

I use the 3 hole sprayer, which slows things down a bit.

Yes me too back a few years when I used it (then went on to my commercial VPR-APS), & you may remember the threads/posts on all that, Tim Horton's 3 hole sprayhead versus the stock 4 holer, different makes/styles of filter papers, etc..

Sheesh, what nitpicker! LOL

No, not nitpicking., just stating the facts as I know them.

My POINT was that I use a finer grind to slow things down a bit, as well as saving precious coffee.
Old habits die hard. ;>D

Yes I get it Rob..

brazen1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 3:04pm

OK, I just made a full 40 ounce pot. I left the grind the same (medium fine, 4 on the VARIO, still working on the DD beans) and bumped the weight up to 60 grams. I also increased the presoak to 2 minutes.

I don't think the extra presoak made any difference. When I pulled the brew basket at the one minute mark, the grounds hadn't come up even close to the top of the filter.

The brew cycle (after the 2 minute presoak) took right at 4 minutes. It appears that, when the Brazen shut off at the end of the brew cycle, essentially all of the water had already dripped from the grounds to the carafe.

No problem with grounds rising too high. They had been up close to the top of the filter at some point during the brew cycle, but had not actually reached the top. After four pots now, noting has hit the spray head or overflowed the filter into the basket.

--------------

BTW, I can't say that I notice any particular difference in the brew with 56 grams versus 60 grams. Maybe the 60 gram pot is just slightly stronger, but not a big deal one way or another. I'd be happy drinking it either way. At 60 grams, the coffee is definitely stronger than you get from the same beans at Dunkin Donuts. It's getting up into borderline Starbucks territory. The brewed coffee is way better than the very best cup from Dunkin Donuts -- which can vary quite bit, I guess depending on how clean their Bunns are and how good their water is.

56 grams is 8 pots per pound of coffee. 60 grams is 7.5 pots per pound of coffee. 65 grams is 8 pots per pound.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 3:10pm

brazen1 Said:

I don't think the extra presoak made any difference. When I pulled the brew basket at the one minute mark, the grounds hadn't come up even close to the top of the filter.

Odds are that you get close to zero bloom on the DD beans, since they're likely completely staled by the time you get them, so a lengthy presoak isn't going to make much difference.
showing page 35 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343310117722)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+