Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Extraction starting late, please help
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Extraction...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ilCapitano79

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 3:46am
Subject: Extraction starting late, please help

I'm having trouble when I'm pulling shots, coffee doesn't start to drip before 10 seconds and I have to wait further 25 seconds to get about 40 ml of espresso. I've tried to made the grind coarser but then it just pours. Crema I'm getting looks to me perfect and the taste is good but not great. I'm using Simonelli Oscar and Mazzer Mini. Is it normal for the coffee to start dripping only after 10 seconds? I've seen most are arround 6-8.

Thanks guys
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 3:56am
Subject: Re: Extraction starting late, please help

When pulling a shot it should take about 5 to 7 seconds for the first drops starting to come, and it should become a steady "mouse tail" flow quickly. Since extraction has already started during those 5 to 7 seconds of (so to speak) pre-infusion, because the hot water has come into contact with the puck of ground cofee, they are usually included in extraction time, so you count 25 seconds from starting the pump in order to get 25 to 30 ml for a single shot and 50 to 60 ml for a doppio.

You have a great set-up. Try to dial in you grinder according to the terms I gave you working consistenly as far as dose and tamping are concerned.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
ilCapitano79

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 4:05am

NobbyR Said:

When pulling a shot it should take about 5 to 7 seconds for the first drops starting to come, and it should become a steady "mouse tail" flow quickly. Since extraction has already started during those 5 to 7 seconds of (so to speak) pre-infusion, because the hot water has come into contact with the puck of ground cofee, they are usually included in extraction time, so you count 25 seconds from starting the pump in order to get 25 to 30 ml for a single shot and 50 to 60 ml for a doppio.

You have a great set-up. Try to dial in you grinder according to the terms I gave you working consistenly as far as dose and tamping are concerned.

Posted September 24, 2012 link

So what do you suggest I try, I tried coarser but then it just poured and it was too quick. Should I decrease or increase the dosage of the coffee?

Thanks
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 4:22am

You Mazzer Mini is a stepless grinder, so you ought to be able to find a setting that fits without having to adjust the dose. Sometimes it only takes a tiny adjustment.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Extraction...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.226996898651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+