Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Weak flavor from my Bunn
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Weak flavor from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kruzilla

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 4:06pm
Subject: Weak flavor from my Bunn

Long time, no post. So, I got a Bunn BXB Velocity Brew through work and I've noticed the flavor is coming out very weak. I've tried adjusting the grind size (finer), increased the amount of coffee and the amount of water. A friend even recommended a touch of baking soda to slow down the brew time but nothing's worked. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 5:03pm
Subject: Re: Weak flavor from my Bunn

Perhaps it's just me, but I find the subject of your post quite hilarious.  :)

I'm not familiar with that brewer, but general strategies would include:

1. making sure the brew water is being delivered at proper temperature (~200F)
  2. brewing batch sizes that are within the manufacturer's recommendation (which usually means RTFM!)
  3. making sure the sprayhead is spraying evenly
  4. if necessary, increase the coffee:water ratio
  5. if necessary, grind finer still.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 4:45am
Subject: .

frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 6:28am

Me as well:

"That's what."
                  -She

For Bunn to come up with a brewer and name it "Velocity" is a bit of a laugh. Their pour-over tank brewers are quite fast anyway.
+1 to everything Andy said. Grind finer and use more coffee. If you are using the paper filter, maybe try a gold filter which will let through more coffee particles increasing the body and richness.

Examine the coffee bed after brewing. Check to see if it looks fluffier and "boiled" in appearance. Very fresh coffee in a Bunn is not a good idea unless you manually pre-wet and allow the coffee to sit for about 45 to 75 seconds or so. If the coffee blooms at all (expands and disturbs the coffee bed form the escape of gases which occurs in fresh coffee) this disrupts the continuity of the the coffee and allows the water to flow through with a less thorough extraction.

Baking soda is a new one on me. Ewww... Don't we sprinkle that in garbage cans, mix it with cat litter, and place an open box in the fridge to absorb odors? Put it in COFFEE!?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:43pm

Well, you could always throw a pinch of salt in to knock down bitterness of old coffee, EH, that wasn't the topic.

Most bunn brewers do a pretty good job of water temp and some need a different spray head to change the flow speed of the water depending on the elevation you are brewing at.

The flat bottom basket does a better job of getting an even saturation of the grounds and to the point above about using fresh coffee, yep, dead on there. Fresh coffee does tend to bloom or swell when water first hits it and depending on the brew basket (there are special baskets made for good coffee.... er FRESH coffee) so you might want to look into that as well as the deeper filters to go along with the deeper baskets.

Also, like said above, the only way to get a more intense brew is to either or both, .... grind finer or use more coffee grounds. finer coffee will cause the water to flow a bit slower while extracting quicker. More coffee also slows down the brewing to allow more extraction.

Depending on the Bunn brewer, some are adjustable for temp but you need to take the top off to access the thermostat. If this is a home style brewer, the temp will be fixed.

Your brewer is the home style so I really doubt the temp is adjustable. You should make sure you leave it on long enough to fully come up to temp before brewing and your basket is more cone shaped rather than the nice flat bottom baskets that commercial brewers use, they are straight sided vs the cone shape of yours.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
hankg

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 4:26pm

kruzilla Said:

Long time, no post. So, I got a Bunn BXB Velocity Brew through work and I've noticed the flavor is coming out very weak. I've tried adjusting the grind size (finer), increased the amount of coffee and the amount of water. A friend even recommended a touch of baking soda to slow down the brew time but nothing's worked. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

Posted September 23, 2012 link

Here's a quick way to get where you want your coffee to be. Go to Bunn's website and fill out the parts order form and have them send you the Flow Restrictor Sprayhead. They shipped me two for free. That will slow the delivery of the water down a bit. Personally, I think the stock machines deliver water too quickly. In my opinion, this is not optional.

Secondly, make sure you use Bunn filters. Why? They are taller and allow you to use more or grind finer without having overflow issues. When I run out of these at work, I grab our coffee service filters they use for the awful coffee and trim them down just a bit because they are too tall. In fact, somewhere on this website, there's a filter number that some have used in the machine but it's from their commercial side and they are taller still.

Those two items will get you where you want to be. It will make great coffee, different than either of my other two machines--Technivorm and Newco--but no less satisfying. Good luck.

Henry
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Weak flavor from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245063066483)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+