Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 38 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 1:01pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread

jbviau Said:

The new tool didn't help, so I'm using a screwdriver to remove that particular filter until I get a chance to shave it down a little. The filter's the issue, as it's hard to get out of other brew chambers, too. Or maybe I'm the issue, fundamentally, since I feel compelled to remove the filter after each brewing session for a quick rinse and wipe. Excessive tidiness for the win!

Posted February 22, 2014 link

Josh,

New filters are quite hard or down-right impossible to remove with the plastic tool. It wasn't until I removed the filter 10-15 times with a screwdriver, did the "engaging" pin wear enough so that I could use the tool. I helped a friend of mine set up his new Trifecta and quickly realized that a screw driver was needed when I showed him removal of the filter. The more you remove and clean your filter the sooner the pin will wear and will get to the point that you can use the tool.

Also, when using the tool, press down firmly (slightly flexing the center portion) and then do the quarter turn. This will push the engagement pin on the underside of the filter down slightly and allow it to slide past the notch in the brew chamber.

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 8:12pm

I was working that new filter back and forth with a screwdriver to break it in, as you described, when I slipped a bit and gouged the mesh. This is why the tool is preferable in the first place, no? Anyway, I then took the opportunity to [attempt to] diassemble the damaged filter. I suppose my goal was to remove the mesh from the filter's plastic housing and get something like an Able Disk out of it. This didn't go well; see below for evidence:

https://twitter.com/jbviau/status/437673831332065280

The plastic ribs sandwiching the mesh are attached by little nibs poking through pre-cut holes.

Anyway, Bunn was good about sending me a replacement filter free of charge, but it's an equally tight fit. Guess I'll keep the screwdriver handy?! Assuming the tightness is intentional, I can't understand why they would discourage/complicate filter removal in this way.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 5:19am

Josh,

I did the same thing you did once. Key is finding a screwdriver blade that is EXACTLY the same size of the filters's slot, so it doesn't slip out easily. I think having the tool being longer in length, cast in aluminum, and designing the flange that hangs off the side slightly larger would be a better idea. The larger flange and increased length of the tool would enable more torque while turning the filter to release it and the metal material more durable. I understand their need for a tight seal on the filters edge, but if a screwdriver can release it, the tool should be designed to match the torque provided by the screw driver. But that's just my opinion though. Take care!

Jim

VictoriaBCRealtor
VictoriaBCRealtor
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 8:15am

Is this thread active? I don't think so :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mwright

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 8:38am

I have had mine stop after the initial presoak and agitation twice this week.  The initial water dispenses and agitates and then the blue lights in the water reservoir start flashing and it stops.  If I press the brew button again it starts back up and finishes.  I contacted Bunn by email but I have not heard back yet (I know Amanda has been really busy).  Anyone else had this happen?
redkiosk
redkiosk

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 10:34am

mwright Said:

I have had mine stop after the initial presoak and agitation twice this week.  The initial water dispenses and agitates and then the blue lights in the water reservoir start flashing and it stops.  If I press the brew button again it starts back up and finishes.  I contacted Bunn by email but I have not heard back yet (I know Amanda has been really busy).  Anyone else had this happen?

Posted March 1, 2014 link

How do you fill your reservoir, while on the Trifecta or at the sink? I would check to see if your reservoir is placed correctly on the Trifecta. When's the last time you cleaned your reservoir filter? Every so often I take mine out and let it sit for a few minutes in a descaling solution until no more bubbles come out of the small holes. Also, once the reservoir filter is out, pop out the check valve on the bottom of the reservoir. Give that a good cleaning too. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 11:02am

I suspect that will cure the problem. I often put come Cafiza in the reservoir and dissolve with hot water. I let it sit for a while, then raise and lower the filter screen a few times to clean it. Then I open the valve to let the cleaner run through the valve. A good rinse and you should be good to go. If you don't have Cafiza or another coffee machine cleaner, you can use dishwasher detergent.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
mwright

Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 6:26am

I almost always fill it in the machine.  I am doing the clean right now.  Thanks guys.
mwright

Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 9:44am

Well the suggestions seemed to have worked. No more problems.  Thanks again.
BOTR

Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 6:42pm

Amanda, and Bunn. Unreal.

So just really quick. I needed a few valves, damaged and distorted the outer white plastic when cleaning. May have been something I did, may not have been. Not sure. I sent Amanda an email, and never heard back. Waited a week, then emailed Bunn through the website. I described the problem, and admitted it may very well have been user error.

Since then I have received 3 or 4 packages from Bunn, or Amanda.

3 red valves, 3 black valves, replacement screen for one brew chamber, and a rebuild kit for the brewer. I think I am missing one in there somewhere.

Initially I was irritated a bit that I never heard anything back, but then here come the troops. Amanda is awesome. Bunn is awesome.

Thanks!!!!
showing page 38 of 47 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305465936661)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+