Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking for cheap manual grinders,what ones are good?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
wide_palate

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 3:31pm
Subject: Looking for cheap manual grinders,what ones are good?

I'm looking for a manual conical burr grinder.I just use a drip,no espresso or press.
bodum venice-Idk much about it.
Hario Skerton,Kyocera CM-50-They are twins mostly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEah0PP_SWc
Basically they are good for fine grind,but need a $10 kit for coarse.But then you're stuck with course if you use the kit.
Hario MSS-1B Mini Mill Slim.Seems to adjust better but container is smaller & plastic.
Click Here (www.amazon.com)
I seen a few electrics in the $50 range,but read they are loud as a blender,simple burr,& can heatup beans while grinding.
 View Profile Link to this post
oktyone

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 6:05pm
Subject: Re: Looking for cheap manual grinders,what ones are good?

All three work best for drip, so you should be fine. Also consider the Hario Canister C, it's around 50$ i think, works just like a skerton, but has some nice design features and it's built a bit better.
wide_palate

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2012, 6:37pm

Click Here (fashionable-savings.com)
Looks solid.I wonder if this store has good rep.I thought maybe the Hario Skerton & Kyocera CM-50 might grind to fine for drip,but also heard the grind would have to be turkish to clog in a drip.Does the Hario Canister C lose consistency as you adjust the burrs further away just like the Hario Skerton & Kyocera CM-50?
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:23am

You could also purchase an old box mill off of ebay. That would suit your drip needs and they look awfully good on the counter. The camano hand grinder is another to keep your eye on as it is around $50 I believe.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 12:39pm

If you're willing to drop $165, the OE Lido is really nice.  I just picked one up last week and have been playing with it. I have nothing to compare it to, as it's my first hand grinder, but there are a lot of posts from experienced hand grinder users on HB.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
oktyone

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2012, 7:07pm

Yes the burr set up is almost the same as the Hario Skerton, i don't have one to compare it to, but it's probably the same parts, yes you do lose consistency as you coarsen the grind, a common issue with most hand grinders, but why would you need a coarse grind if you won't be doing any press? even so, the coarse grind is not THAT bad, you can still brew tasty french press cups with it, you'll probably have a bit more sludge, but not necessarily more bitterness or bad taste.

BTW having a grinder set specifically for a preferred  grind size is not necessarily a bad thing, as you would if you decided to mod the Skerton, you'll find that constantly adjusting the coarseness is a pain in the ass, specially if you already had one nailed down to perfection and producing amazing cups.. If good coarse grinding is crucial, i sugest to try nailing down a good french Peugeot mill.

In my opinion 165$ is too much for a hand grinder, i respect a lot what OE has been doing, and he probably charges that for a reason, but for that price i'd rather buy a decent Baratza, hand grinding stops being fun after a while anyway, specially when in a hurry or making more than one cup.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 8:10am

oktyone Said:

...i respect a lot what OE has been doing, and he probably charges that for a reason, but for that price i'd rather buy a decent Baratza, hand grinding stops being fun after a while anyway, specially when in a hurry or making more than one cup.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

True. However, I'd rather have a hand grinder for travel, and the Lido is without a doubt much better quality than the entry level Baratzas.  Also, regarding price of a hand grinder (not that I'd use it for travel, but the Pharos is reported to give you $1k+ electric grinder quality for $245 and a little elbow grease.  Not saying I plan to buy one, but for someone who doesn't mind hand grinding regularly, it's a cheap way to get high end commercial quality grind.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 8:47am

oktyone Said:

BTW having a grinder set specifically for a preferred  grind size is not necessarily a bad thing, as you would if you decided to mod the Skerton, you'll find that constantly adjusting the coarseness is a pain in the ass, specially if you already had one nailed down to perfection and producing amazing cups.

Posted September 4, 2012 link

Adjusting the Skerton is fairly easy as it has discrete settings and only about half a dozen are useful. You can either mark it or just back it out from fully engaged to find that setting you had "nailed down to perfection".

I recall reading the Orphan Espresso guy writing that it is possible to mod a Skerton so that you can get good results for both fine and coarse grinds; it's just that doing the mod well requires some skill and fiddling. And some Skertons are more flawed than others making it impossible.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 8:54am

emradguy Said:

True. However, I'd rather have a hand grinder for travel, and the Lido is without a doubt much better quality than the entry level Baratzas.  Also, regarding price of a hand grinder (not that I'd use it for travel, but the Pharos is reported to give you $1k+ electric grinder quality for $245 and a little elbow grease.  Not saying I plan to buy one, but for someone who doesn't mind hand grinding regularly, it's a cheap way to get high end commercial quality grind.

Posted September 5, 2012 link

Even with it's high price I've considered buying the LIDO because the quality appears to be excellent. But it's too big and too heavy for me to qualify as a travel grinder. Why did they make it so tall? I'm never going to grind 60 grams by hand.

It's too bad because all the other small hand grinders are a big compromise in one way or another. I've been thinking about getting one of the Porlex grinders. Can anyone comment on how well they do at coarse settings?
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 10:06am

wide_palate Said:

but also heard the grind would have to be turkish to clog in a drip.

Posted September 3, 2012 link

Wait...what??
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319849014282)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+