Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Modifying Rocky Doserless switch for continuous grind
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Modifying Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
HB

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2003, 9:34pm
Subject: Modifying Rocky Doserless switch for continuous grind

As I mentioned in my post here, one of the disadvantages of the Rocky DL is its lack of a timer.  Here's a simple modification that alleviates some of this inconvenience at very little cost.

DISCLAMER: ELECTRICITY CAN KILL YOU.  IF YOU UNCERTAIN ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, STOP HERE.  YOU ALONE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY.  IF YOU CHOOSE TO CONTINUE, YOU ASSUME ALL RISK AND RESPONSIBILITY.  REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE APPLIANCE FROM ITS POWER SOURCE BEFORE WORKING ON IT.

Additional caveat: The main on/off switch is a safety feature, as this grinder is nearly silent when running without beans in the hopper.  If you make this modification, be careful that you do not inadvertently leave it on.

As manufactured, the Rocky DL has two switches.  A white main on/off rocker switch is on the right-hand side.  It doesn't start the grinder, but simply enables the front spring-loaded rocker switch.  The front spring-loaded rocker switch actuates the grinder.  As Thomas Gauperaa and others have pointed out, this requires that you hold the switch down for the 20-30 seconds that Rocky requires to grind a double-shot's worth.  The situation is even more penible if you want to grind enough for several shots.  This modification changes the main on/off switch to a continuous grind switch.  The current grind switch continues to work as before, except that it can no longer be "disabled" by the main on/off switch.

These are not step-by-step instructions.  If you need them, you should instead engage a qualified repair technician to do it for you.  Thus this post is (a) an idea, (b) a diagram, and (c) a parts list.  Refer to the diagram next to the attached photo of the bottom of the machine before modification.

All you need is little over one foot of 18AWG wire (or thicker), four female connectors (w/sleeves) and two male connectors.  Fashion yourself two Y wires as shown in the diagram.  Using the extra connectors avoids cutting any wires that were already there should you later want to restore it to original condition.  Solder the Y connection and cover it with heat shrink tubing.  Pay attention to the wire routing to avoid rub points and add extra protective tubing as necessary.  Total cost is around $4.

When you're done, you'll have a leftover "original" wire that connected switch S1 to S2.  Wrap it up tightly and stored it in the base, should you want to restore Rocky to his original condition in the future.

-- Dan

HB: rocky2.JPG
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gauperaa
gauperaa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Junior, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Mini eSantos
Drip: OBH Nordica King of Coffee
Roaster: Imex-CR100, Princess popper,...
Posted Sun Apr 20, 2003, 1:04am
Subject: Re: Modifying Rocky Doserless switch for continuous grind

Great post! Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Thomas.
HB

Posted Sun Apr 20, 2003, 4:17pm

gauperaa Said:

Great post! Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Thomas.

Posted April 20, 2003 link

Hmm-m, I thought you returned yours.  In any case, perhaps you'll find my rendition of a semi-Doserless Rocky interesting.  As shown below, it sports four colorful 58mm dosing containers (they look suspiciously like my kids' snack cups).  Now I premeasure the beans and line 'em up for successive pulls.  I keep one cup in the portafilter holder since Rocky DL tends to "dribble" a little.

BTW, my measures have confirmed that just slightly less than one gram of grind hangs up.  A little tilt forward/back drops the remainder.  After a cleaning, more than three grams gets "lost" in there somewhere.  Those nooks and crannies eventually fill after 4-5 shots; the loss drops to around 0.5 gram w/o encouraging Rocky to give it all up.

-- Dan

HB: rocky-semi.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
BlueJackets
BlueJackets
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: D-less Rocky
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Wed Nov 10, 2004, 9:45am

I just completed this mod using a slightly different method that some might find helpful.  I used tap splices pictured below (package of 4 for $.99 at Home Depot).  I cut the wire between S1 and S2 in Dan's drawing.  Using tap splices, I spliced the cut end to the wire on S2 to the "Power In" wire and I spliced the cut end of the wire on S1 to the "To Motor" wire.  It took about 10 minutes.

BlueJackets: 032076101008_4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Doug_Olitsky

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 'Bucks Barista
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Press & 'Bucks Aroma
Posted Mon Dec 27, 2004, 7:58pm

Here is something that is even easier, plus there are no cut wires, or extra wires. Try using Radio Shack Crimp-On Quick-Disconnects
Price- $1.69
Catalog #: 64-3064

I moved the switches so the main switch is in front and I put the jumper on one of the unused lugs of the momentary switch to keep it in place.

HERE IS THE LINK:

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

Doug_Olitsky: 64-3064.jpg
(Click for larger image)
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Fri Dec 31, 2004, 1:17pm

Just wanted to extend a hearty thanks to Dan for this excellent mod idea. Works like a champ.

The funny thing is that I've scanned over this post and diagram at least ten times, and thought, "It's a good idea, but too bad it wouldn't allow you to use both the rocker switch and the momentary switch..." Two days ago, I finally read the post and realized that it does!

A long time ago a friend of mine introduced me to the the idea of the "elegant" solution. A solution that not only provides an adequate outcome, but the ideal one. This a perfect example of an elegant solution. It adds functionality, without compromising any, and is totally reversible if you ever want to put it back to original condition.

Thanks again Dan.

Joel

Disclaimer: Rocky is not to be used as a ladder.
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Tue Mar 15, 2005, 2:54pm

uh, what about turning off the main switch, duct taping the grind switch in the "on" position, and using only the main switch to turn the grinder on and off? Totally reversible and no chance of electrocution. Ugly, though. (Use black duct tape).

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
AlanP
AlanP

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Vac Pot: Cona
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Mar 16, 2005, 3:10pm

Sandy
That's so simple it's absolutely brilliant
Got any tips on turning lead into gold?
Alan
Passenger

Espresso: Anita
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: SCGC and Poppery II
Posted Wed Mar 16, 2005, 3:46pm

too easy.
snoboy

Espresso: famous Silvia... now PID
Grinder: modded Rocky SD
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 3:36pm

Just did it, easy and elegant... 2 thumbs up to Dan!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Modifying Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324396848679)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+