Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 8:01am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

Patty,

Can you isolate the problem to one specific brew chamber? After the pre-soak, is all of the water from the reservoir entering the brew chamber? Is this a new coffee? When you dump the coffee grinds into the brew chamber are they fairly level or heaped up to one side against the chamber wall? I usually tap the brew chamber against the palm of my hand after dumping in the coffee grinds. This levels them out and settles them in a bit. Let us know what happens. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
 View Profile Link to this post
sosha
sosha

Espresso: PV Export
Grinder: Compak K3, Vario
Drip: Trifecta MB
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 7:25pm

redkiosk Said:

Can you isolate the problem to one specific brew chamber? After the pre-soak, is all of the water from the reservoir entering the brew chamber? Is this a new coffee? When you dump the coffee grinds into the brew chamber are they fairly level or heaped up to one side against the chamber wall? I usually tap the brew chamber against the palm of my hand after dumping in the coffee grinds. This levels them out and settles them in a bit. Let us know what happens. Take care!

Posted July 25, 2012 link

It's not brew-chamber specific.  All of the water is emptying.  New coffee?  Heck yeah!  I started roasting my own, and have only used that in the trifecta until tonite.   Picked up some Major D, and used 20g instead of 24.   Worked like a charm!  

Differences between the 2 coffees:
PEETS:  dark roast,  within 2 weeks of roast, a little less volume
MINE:  lighter roast, 3 days after roast.

I'll let mine sit for another 2 days, use 20g, and see how it goes.

BTW......the water comes out of the shower head in a single stream towards the back of the chamber.   Is that the way it's supposed to do it?

Again, thanx for your help, Jim..
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 8:34pm

Hi, Patty!

I'm probably the one Jim is referring-to, w.r.t. using 30 grams of coffee.  I've been doing this for quite some time, and here is what I consider normal trifecta behavior:

- If you grind coarse, expect some dry grounds that don't get saturated.
- The fresher the roast, the more CO2 out-gassing, the more flotation, the more dry excess grounds.
- The darker the roast, the lighter weighing the grounds, the more difficult to sink under water.
- If you don't have level grounds in the brewing chamber, expect the hump to be left partially above water.
- C is as low as I can go for 12 oz. H2O; otherwise grounds don't get sunk
- 20 grams should sink 'em all unless something extraordinary is going on

From your description, one might eliminate the following as possible causes:
- Dark roast
- A or B turbulence
- Too coarse a grind (maybe, maybe not)

So, I'd have to go for (in order of likelihood):
  1. Too fresh! I never brew before 5 days--usually 6.  But roasters ship their beans in unpressurized bags.  How do you store your freshly roasted beans?  Do you keep them in an air-tight container?  That would tend to extend the out-gassing period.  To verify this in a fun test, simply let your grounds sit out for 30 minutes, then brew 'em.  See if that makes all the difference.
  2. Ok, try grinding a few notches finer--go to drip grind.  It does wonders.
  3. Grounds not level.  Are they?  Hmmm?  Did you use a carpenter's level or just eyeball it?  Seriously, I even found that the air bubbles tend to hit the water surface off-center on the right side, so I tried humping the grounds slightly on that side and was rewarded with pleasing hill-destroying bubble activity... er... once.  The other times, the grounds actually rotated the hill away.  I just keep 'em level nowadays.

Finally, as I said, a little unsaturated grounds is not too high a price to pay.  You might want to try brewing slightly smaller amounts of beans and see if it makes a difference in taste.  But my money's on #1, above.  I think you are too fresh!

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 9:10am

I have had this happen when I have used maximum coffee with maximum water.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
sosha
sosha

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 5:38pm

barkingburro Said:

Hi, Patty!

I'm probably the one Jim is referring-to, w.r.t. using 30 grams of coffee.  I've been doing this for quite some time, and here is what I consider normal trifecta behavior:

- If you grind coarse, expect some dry grounds that don't get saturated.
- The fresher the roast, the more CO2 out-gassing, the more flotation, the more dry excess grounds.
- The darker the roast, the lighter weighing the grounds, the more difficult to sink under water.
- If you don't have level grounds in the brewing chamber, expect the hump to be left partially above water.
- C is as low as I can go for 12 oz. H2O; otherwise grounds don't get sunk
- 20 grams should sink 'em all unless something extraordinary is going on

From your description, one might eliminate the following as possible causes:
- Dark roast
- A or B turbulence
- Too coarse a grind (maybe, maybe not)

So, I'd have to go for (in order of likelihood):
Too fresh! I never brew before 5 days--usually 6.  But roasters ship their beans in unpressurized bags.  How do you store your freshly roasted beans?  Do you keep them in an air-tight container?  That would tend to extend the out-gassing period.  To verify this in a fun test, simply let your grounds sit out for 30 minutes, then brew 'em.  See if that makes all the difference.
Ok, try grinding a few notches finer--go to drip grind.  It does wonders.
Grounds not level.  Are they?  Hmmm?  Did you use a carpenter's level or just eyeball it?  Seriously, I even found that the air bubbles tend to hit the water surface off-center on the right side, so I tried humping the grounds slightly on that side and was rewarded with pleasing hill-destroying bubble activity... er... once.  The other times, the grounds actually rotated the hill away.  I just keep 'em level nowadays.

Finally, as I said, a little unsaturated grounds is not too high a price to pay.  You might want to try brewing slightly smaller amounts of beans and see if it makes a difference in taste.  But my money's on #1, above.  I think you are too fresh!

Posted July 25, 2012 link

Too fresh.  Yeah, I'm new at roasting, and am always a wee bit too eager.

I'll know if that's the issue in a few more days.   Thanx for all of the advice!
sosha
sosha

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 7:07pm

Hi all;

I've been playing with parameters on the Trifecta, and have learned the following (as it applies to my taste):

-  Seems the diaphragm in the bottom of the brewer can get stuck.   I gently blow thru the hole before starting a cup.
-  LET THE BEANS SIT, DAMNIT!
-  21-22g of coffee for me in about 11 oz of water.   Don't go below a C for turbulance.
-  Now using the regular drip setting on my grinder.

I really love being able to select beans, and customize each cup of coffee.   One cup of Sumatra to wake up, then the second, maybe a little Ethiopian fruitiness.  This thing ROCKS!

Patty
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 9:14pm

sosha Said:

...-  21-22g of coffee for me in about 11 oz of water.  Don't go below a C for turbulance...

Posted August 10, 2012 link

Hi there. Funny--I never go *above* C for turbulence! Guess I like a little more acidity in my coffees? I'm usually at B-0:50 and will go down to A for more delicate beans or up to C for less fruity, more full-bodied, comfort-oriented ones.
DanH

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K10 Fresh
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 6:58am

sosha Said:

Don't go below a C for turbulance.

I can use B turbulence, but not A.  With A,  I end up with some dry grounds.

New problem:  A few times per week my machine won't pull all the water in.  It stops when there are 3-4 ounces left in the reservoir.  Does anyone know what's going on and how to remedy?
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 9:01am

DanH Said:

New problem:  A few times per week my machine won't pull all the water in.  It stops when there are 3-4 ounces left in the reservoir.  Does anyone know what's going on and how to remedy?

Posted August 11, 2012 link

Try cleaning the check valves in both the shower head and also in the water reservoir. Pull the strainer out of the reservoir to access the valve on the bottom. Is the reservoir sitting in it's holder correctly? If it's not hooked on the ledge in the back correctly, or not sitting straight, it may not be engaging the valve correctly. Just a thought. Keep us updated. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
sosha
sosha

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 9:19am

jbviau Said:

Hi there. Funny--I never go *above* C for turbulence! Guess I like a little more acidity in my coffees? I'm usually at B-0:50 and will go down to A for more delicate beans or up to C for less fruity, more full-bodied, comfort-oriented ones.

I guess that's just the "school" scale.........A is the highest....
showing page 11 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372527122498)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+