Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress - Having problems with volume...
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:15am
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
gimpy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old repaired Starbucks...
Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: the AeroPress, Clever Coffee...
Roaster: Behmor 1600 replaces (still...
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 2:58pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress - Having problems with volume...

Basically, I shoot for a 15 or 16 to one ratio, water to coffee. So, for my AP, I use about 300 grams of water to 19 or 20 grams of coffee. I let it steep for about 1 1/2 minutes, then press. Makes about 9 oz or so of coffee.

For my ccd, I use 400 grams of water and 25 grams of beans.

Frank, "Still the one"
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 3:25pm

synic Said:

Thank you!  I will give this a try as soon as I get home :D

Edit:  hah, looks like Tom feels the same way I do about the inverted method.  He must be a super klutz like me.

Posted August 6, 2012 link

There is nothing klutzy about it.  The aeropress was just not designed to be used inverted.  Doesn't mean it can't, just not designed for it so issues can happen.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 7:13pm

In that video, Tom couldn't get the plunger to seal at first so a fair amount of coffee leaked through (despite that being his "secret" solution to not bothering to invert it). Then he unscrewed the cap and dropped it into his cup of coffee.

I think he's a klutz!

The only issue I've ever had with inversion was just one time when I absent-mindedly forgot to insert a filter paper in the cap. When I re-verted the Aeropress the flood of coffee and grounds overwhelmed my cup and made a small mess on the counter. OMG!

I agree with Evan on this point. It's not that difficult. The Aeropress may not be designed for inverted brewing but using it that way doesn't open up a big can of worms either. If you're that accident prone you probably shouldn't be anywhere near really hot water.

That said, I'm not convinced it makes much if any difference in the quality of the brewed coffee. It's just one way to achieve consistency.
AAAustin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 8:32pm

FWIW, I'm using a Disk Fine, and it seems to pass less water than the paper filter...maybe an ounce or two during the 2+ minutes that I'm stirring. With 18~20 grams (my scale isn't the best) I get a solid 10oz of happiness.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 4:26am
Subject: .

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237061023712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+