Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aeropress - Having problems with volume...
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
synic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: HG One
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: Aeropress - Having problems with volume...

Classy
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 8:07pm

Let's try and get back on track here. Synic, your original issue was not having the volume that you wanted in your mug. You stated that diluting it made it too weak. Evan has proposed a method that allows for the same amount of liquid in a concentrated form so that, when diluted, it comes out to the strength you're looking for in the volume you're looking. You may have to tinker with it a bit, but I think that this is a solution to your problem.

-Dave-
synic

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 8:13pm

Well, close.  With the clever dripper, I end up with about 12oz of liquid for 22gram of coffee.

With the aeropress, I get about 6oz or maybe 8oz, but the caffeine content seems about the same.

I understand I can make a more concentrated brew, but it seems like it'd have way too much caffeine

I guess what I wanted was to get a similar beverage to the clever, but with a more compact brewer and less paper taste.  

I can accept it if it's just not possible, but I came to the forum to make sure I wasn't missing something, and now, snarkiness aside, it sounds like I have my answer.

thanks folks
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 8:42pm

synic Said:

I understand I can make a more concentrated brew, but it seems like it'd have way too much caffeine

Posted August 5, 2012 link

You dilute the concentrate to normal strength with water once you press it. Where are you getting this "too much caffeine" idea from?

I'm honestly confused about what you're looking for here. You want to be able to produce more coffee in one go from the Aeropress, but you are unwilling to try any method but the original?

You don't want to make a concentrate...so I just can not wrap my head around how you think we can help you produce more liquid than the device can hold? Not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely confused as to how it would be physically possible to achieve what you're asking.

You don't want to use it inverted, you don't want use less coffee, you don't want make a concentrate, but you want it to produce more coffee. OK.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 5:15am

This is my favourite Aeropress method. Doesn't use the inverted method and makes just over 9oz of coffee. Perfect for a 10oz mug. Add the water fairly slowly and evenly allows the brew to percolate out the bottom (during the initial pour) hence the slightly greater volume compared to inverted method.

Click Here (www.heartroasters.com)

Sweet Maria's also has a youtube video of a similar technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtD8u9oSG4A

It's only since I've been using this method that I've really appreciated the Aeropress. It makes the inverted method irrelevant, as long as you use paper filters ( with other filters the water pours out the chamber too quickly as you do the initial pour).
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 7:23am

al_bongo Said:

This is my favourite Aeropress method. Doesn't use the inverted method and makes just over 9oz of coffee. Perfect for a 10oz mug. Add the water fairly slowly and evenly allows the brew to percolate out the bottom (during the initial pour) hence the slightly greater volume compared to inverted method.

It's only since I've been using this method that I've really appreciated the Aeropress. It makes the inverted method irrelevant, as long as you use paper filters ( with other filters the water pours out the chamber too quickly as you do the initial pour).

Posted August 6, 2012 link

This is a great way of how to deal with the OP's question, without unneeded sarcasm or attempts at humor.  Thanks.

LMWDP # 010
synic

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 8:23am

al_bongo Said:

Thank you!  I will give this a try as soon as I get home :D

Edit:  hah, looks like Tom feels the same way I do about the inverted method.  He must be a super klutz like me.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 9:55am

+1 for Heart's method. I use it every time with great results. 17g finely ground coffee (in between drip and espresso) to 275ml of water. Pour water, give it a stir, seal it with the plunger for a 60 second steep, remove plunger, stir, plunge until 1:30. Each coffee will require little adjustments to the time and plunge.

Enjoy it! If it tastes weak, take the grind a bit finer!
synic

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:18am

Ok, I just tried Heart's method with some home roasted Sumatra.  Fantastic coffee, and it filled my cup!

Thanks folks!
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 10:38am

synic Said:

Ok, I just tried Heart's method with some home roasted Sumatra.  Fantastic coffee, and it filled my cup!

Thanks folks!

Glad to hear that worked for you! Good recommendation al_bongo!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aeropress -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320863008499)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+