Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best Brewing Method For Iced Coffee
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Crossfitter
Crossfitter
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60 / Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: Best Brewing Method For Iced Coffee

I tend to prefer the "iced brew" method versus the cold brew method for cold coffee.  Iced brew means you are brewing hot coffee over ice.  There was a really interesting article I read once (I can't seem to find it) about how more flavonoids are extracted in hot coffee, and the ice cubes act as a trap for those flavonoids, resulting in a very flavorful cup.

The main differences I've noticed is the cold-brew method has very little acidity, which I think is best for diluting with milk and adding to other drinks.  But a nice flavorful cup with a tea-like quality, the iced brewing method is best IMHO.  Check out http://www.coffeeandy.com/2010/08/iced-coffee-on-the-hario/

I use a V60 w/ 25g coffee, 113g of ice cubes, 227g hot water on a very fine drip grind. Once the coffee is done brewing, I shake my range-server in a circle to let the remainder of the cubes absorb.  Then pour over a glass full of ice and stir.
 View Profile Link to this post
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:13pm

I'm not entirely familiar with the logistics of the Toddy.  What is the biggest difference between it and the cold brew immersion method I usually do?  I do have a grinder.  Nothing fancy, just a $50 Cuisinart burr.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 1:49pm

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 2:04pm

Foodieinfl Said:

I'm not entirely familiar with the logistics of the Toddy.  What is the biggest difference between it and the cold brew immersion method I usually do?  I do have a grinder.  Nothing fancy, just a $50 Cuisinart burr.

Posted July 26, 2012 link

NetP pretty much explained it, similar for the Sowden too. Where are you in FL? Maybe someone on here can point you to a local place that carries fresh beans (not stale store bought junk) either roasted themselves or wholesale accounts with roasters drop shipping fresh orders weekly (which most shops will sell to you), or depending on your budget you could order some. That seems to be your main issue with what your doing, stale beans. Switch those out for some fresh roasted ones and you'll see a night and day difference with doing nothing else to your setup.

I would def reconsider the full gallon though, do smaller batches through the week so your not drinking even stale'er coffee.

Crossfitter Said:

I tend to prefer the "iced brew" method versus the cold brew method for cold coffee.  Iced brew means you are brewing hot coffee over ice.  There was a really interesting article I read once (I can't seem to find it) about how more flavonoids are extracted in hot coffee, and the ice cubes act as a trap for those flavonoids, resulting in a very flavorful cup.

The main differences I've noticed is the cold-brew method has very little acidity, which I think is best for diluting with milk and adding to other drinks.  But a nice flavorful cup with a tea-like quality, the iced brewing method is best IMHO.  Check out http://www.coffeeandy.com/2010/08/iced-coffee-on-the-hario/

I use a V60 w/ 25g coffee, 113g of ice cubes, 227g hot water on a very fine drip grind. Once the coffee is done brewing, I shake my range-server in a circle to let the remainder of the cubes absorb.  Then pour over a glass full of ice and stir.

I just make a shot or two, little splenda, pour over ice and then milk into my tumbler every morning.... mmm good. I've tried cooling the espresso first or adding milk to it first, but something about pouring the shot right over the ice seems to magnify flavors.
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 5:34pm

CMIN - I'm in St. Petersburg, just over the bridge from Tampa.  Kahwa coffee is a local roaster/coffee shop that has phenomenol coffee.  Not super convenient for me to get to, but I need to make the effort.  Please let me know of any others you may be aware of.  
Crossfitter - makes total sense.  This must be why coffee pressed hot out of my aeropress over ice tastes better than anything else I've ever tried. Like amazingly good.  I may just need to give up my large batch iced coffee, and convert to this method on a daily basis.  Which means getting up a good 15 minutes sooner.  Oy vey.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 7:21pm

Foodieinfl Said:

CMIN - I'm in St. Petersburg, just over the bridge from Tampa.  Kahwa coffee is a local roaster/coffee shop that has phenomenol coffee.  Not super convenient for me to get to, but I need to make the effort.  Please let me know of any others you may be aware of.  
Crossfitter - makes total sense.  This must be why coffee pressed hot out of my aeropress over ice tastes better than anything else I've ever tried. Like amazingly good.  I may just need to give up my large batch iced coffee, and convert to this method on a daily basis.  Which means getting up a good 15 minutes sooner.  Oy vey.

I just looked up that place and they've got excellent reviews, checked their online store and I may order some lol. Very good prices and shipping for a lb. You should go there and buy some, I mean a lb there is basically cheaper then 12oz packages at a grocery store or even a lb at Starbucks. Pick up a lb a week or whatever, freeze what you don't use in batches to thaw out day before you use it.  

Just getting those fresh beans will make such a big difference.
Foodieinfl
Foodieinfl

Posted Thu Jul 26, 2012, 8:26pm

I'll plan on hitting Kahwa on Saturday.  Let me know if you order, and what you think.  I'll never forget my first cup of iced coffee from them.  I was about to add my usual cream and raw sugar, when the voices in my head spoke and said, "Stop.  Try it black." So I did.  It was perfect.  No need to mess with perfection.  And I guess there's all the proof you need to know that the beans make all the difference in the world.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Jul 27, 2012, 9:19am

Cold brew is my favorite iced coffee, everything else is to diluted for my likes. I use older beans and beans that don't nail the mark for hot brews that I roast, I have used roasts that where excellent in hot brews but those flavors did not translate into cold brewing.
Mike250

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 7:45pm

Netphilosopher Said:

Hmmm.  A gallon is a lot of coffee (~3.8kg).

Just some clarification, you want a gallon of cold coffee concentrate that you can pour over ice and have iced coffee with decent strength, right?  You want to store this in the refrigerator, right?

Going with those clarifications, and your comments on cold brewed coffee taste, I'd recommend something I've been playing with: warm-brewed coffee.  

Hot-brewed I'm defining as a strike temperature (temp of the water at start of brewing) 190F or above.  Auto drip brewers are in that range for the whole brew cycle, while a pourover will have decreasing temperatures during the brew cycle.  For a gallon, though, it's a huge amount of coffee for any of the percolation methods, so you're talking an immersion method.

For good strength when poured over ice, you're aiming for ~1.8% TDS or higher, depending on your ice dilution.  This will be decent coffee when cut with 50% ice (fill a glass with ice, pour the cold coffee concentrate over it).

Since you have a gallon or larger contact container, and a way to separate the grounds, I'd try the following recipe:

If you have the capacity:

1.2 gallons of water, heated to about 170F
400g of coffee (thats about 14oz of coffee) ground to drip(ish) level.

Combine and stir/mix well.  Steep in refrigerator (place in fridge hot) until the mixture reaches approximately 120F, but not much lower than 100F, approximately 30 minutes to 50 minutes, depending on your setup.

Mix again and strain/filter, this should produce about a gallon of concentrated coffee.  Store at refrigerator temperature.  

I've found this will stay very good for about 2-3 days, and still drinkable for about a week before it heads south, IF stored cold.

If all you have is a gallon container, adjust the recipe to the following:

300g ground coffee (about 10 1/2 to 11 oz)
Top to ~1 gallon or capacity of container (this will be about 3300g-3500g of water) with ~170F water.

This will produce around 3/4 gallon of concentrated coffee.

Why it works:
The lower strike temperature helps reduce extraction of some of the compounds that can turn the flavor bad in the fridge - but you get more of the compounds that contribute to what coffee tastes like than cold or room-temp brewing can do.  Straining/filtering while the temperature is above 100F helps increase the yield (cold filtering will tend to trap more of your produced coffee in the grounds).  You'll achieve decent overall extraction because the contact time is long enough while the mixutre cools.

I've not done this for an entire gallon, but have done this with ~1/2 gallon and quart sized batches, there should be no reason this wouldn't scale up.

If you try it, good luck and post your results.

out of curiosity, how does this method compare to something like flash brewing and what sort of coffee would you recommend for this technique
Mike250

Posted Fri Aug 17, 2012, 8:37pm

Netphilosopher Said:

Crossfitter, I thought about recommending flash brewing (hot brewing onto ice) but to make an entire gallon that way with enough strength would be a true pain.  Not many brew baskets hold 400g of coffee.

what about half a gallon? I like this method a lot and want to experiment with it on a slightly bigger scale. What would be the potential problems that one might encounter?
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best Brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335201025009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+