Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boots

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 8:57pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

I got mine Friday from Buzz in Chicago.  Only took a few days, quick shipping.   Love it.  I think it is very hot.

Don't care for the last bit of coffee that stays in cone till you tilt it.  Would love the ability to seal the cone to infuse for 30 sec.  So far not quite as good as pour over or clever coffee, but close.

I am still getting the amount just right.  I love the fact that it is incredibly fast and hot, and I feel the thermal carafe is nice.  I also love the small footprint. Easy to pour water in

Main reason I bought this is for speed in the morning, allowing me time for a couple of cups in the am.  REally makes a big difference in speed.  I use my hario filters for 4 cups.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 3:46pm

Also wanted to add that I've come across some posts talking about all openings of the shower head not spewing water. Upon close inspection, I noticed some of these openings to have just a bit a plastic cutout around the edges...after removing that last bit of plastic remnant, all openings are flowing smoothly.

My previous question still remains...

TheHolyCannoli Said:

I'm wondering what is the best orientation for the filter holder? It seems like, for best saturation, the "long" part of the filter should be aligned with row of 5 drip holes, rather than with the row of 3 drip holes. I haven't seen any mention of this on the forums or in the manual, so I assume it likely doesn't make much of a difference...however, I've seen discussions about equally trivial topics.

Posted June 4, 2012 link

mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 2:27pm

Click Here (drinks.seriouseats.com)

Good little write up.  I wonder if the 185 size Kalita will fit?  I tried brewing with an extra Bunn filter basket I had and I thought it was better than the normal brew basket.  The problem is you have to hold it the whole time because  it will not stay level just sitting on top of the carafe.  It seems like I almost always get a very v shaped bed with the normal filter holder with a lot of the coffee ground pushed high up the sides.
missy_
missy_
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 6:10pm

I haven't really had a close look at that, although you bring up an interesting point.

The main reason is because the grinds are getting thoroughly saturated, and so I don't feel the need to interfere, especially since Bonavita did say it would be coming out unevenly.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
mwright

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 6:29pm

The grinds all look wet it just looks like the grounds in the center are a lot more wet.  I usually end up with about a 1/2" ring around the outside of the filter basket and a pretty big hole in the middle.  I just wonder if it would be better with a flat grounds bed fr a more even extraction.
missy_
missy_
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 10:05pm

mwright Said:

The grinds all look wet it just looks like the grounds in the center are a lot more wet.  I usually end up with about a 1/2" ring around the outside of the filter basket and a pretty big hole in the middle.  I just wonder if it would be better with a flat grounds bed fr a more even extraction.

Posted July 2, 2012 link

Hmmm. On mine, all of my coffee grounds look equally saturated. There is a cone like shape, but they are all equally wet.

Mine makes fantastic coffee. No complaints here. I don't see how you can get a flat grounds bed with a cone-shaped filter basket and a cone-shaped filter. For me the coffee is outstanding.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

TGlode

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 8:44am

After looking through this topic as well as around the internet I am still not entirely sure what the optimal brew method is for the Bonavita.  I am looking for a good place to start and then I can make adjustments from there.

I have been using 1L of water and 60grams of coffee ground on a Capresso Infinity although I do not know what grind setting to use.  Does that sound right?

Thanks so much!
SarasotaLady

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 9:02am

Try this chart http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/Brewing%20Ratio%20Charts.htm

I like full-bodied brew and use the ratios in the bottom chart-- works for me.
missy_
missy_
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 9:13am

TGlode Said:

After looking through this topic as well as around the internet I am still not entirely sure what the optimal brew method is for the Bonavita.  I am looking for a good place to start and then I can make adjustments from there.

I have been using 1L of water and 60grams of coffee ground on a Capresso Infinity although I do not know what grind setting to use.  Does that sound right?

Thanks so much!

Posted July 17, 2012 link

Hi TGlode, and welcome. I am not an expert, but I will try to help. Hopefully others will chime in.

In the "Bonavita Brewing Perfect Coffee Everytime" manual that comes with the coffee maker, it states under "Recommended Tips,"

• The ideal brewing for perfect coffee is to brew 8 cups of coffee. For ideal extraction levels, brew your coffee in 6-8 cup increments, and fully enjoy the best coffee from this machine.

(My notes here: Although if you brew in 6-cup increments, you will not get the proper brew times, so the suggested 8 cups will get you the proper brew times for the best cup of coffee.  That means 1.2 liters of water, I believe. Someone please let me know if that is an accurate conversion.

On coffee, the manual states: "One key issue to reach grams per 5 ounce finished cup. Typically, standard drip coffee uses 5-6 grams per finished cup. The average coffe shop serves coffee using 7-9 grams of coffee. Use the amount of coffee that brews your preferred coffee flavor and strength."

The only information I found regarding grind setting stating to "coarsely grind the beans as close to brewing time as possible."

Good luck!

Ormazd
Ormazd

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky doserless, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT741
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 5:14am

I'm glad I found this thread.  My 5 year old Technivorm bit the dust, and I got some sticker shock when I saw their price had increased $from $205 to $300 since 2007.  Ordering a Bonavita from Amazon today.

Thanks, everyone!

Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 17 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303897857666)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+