Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press and Coarse Grind
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > [Q] French Press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jaychocolate

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 4:40pm
Subject: [Q] French Press and Coarse Grind

I bought Bodum Chambord french press (12-cup) and Hario Mill Canister C manual hand grinder and moved on from Keurig.

I'm bit confused though as a newbie..

How many rounds of grinding is considered a coarse grind..? I can't seem to gauge. It seems like for one Bodum scoop of whole bean to go all down the grinder and to be grinded, it takes about 30 rounds of grinding.. unless I'm missing something, there is noway to control the fineness or coarseness.

Is there an option to control to make this a coarse grind or say fine grinding.. since not all beans seem to go down in any thing less than 30 rounds of click.

And when you say not boiling (but hot - according to the manual), is there any chance of French press cracking if I pour boiling water? I'm not too sure how hot is supposed to be hot. The coffee isn't too hot on my first try. It is rather lukewarm.

Also is it not possible to brew only one cup? I tried one cup and the plunger can't even reach the water with coffee in it. So I had some extras left over when I did a second try (picture 4).

And I'm assuming it wasn't plunged down correctly if I see some black stuff on bottom of my coffee cup..? I pressed it down till as much as I can go down though.

This is the result of my second try. I attached the pictures.

1) http://i.imgur.com/lh4fd.jpg
2) http://i.imgur.com/brpp3.jpg
3) http://i.imgur.com/jAWHy.jpg
4) http://i.imgur.com/dT4Jo.jpg

Thank you!

UPDATE: Figured out how to coarse grind using Hario manual grinder.

5) http://i.imgur.com/NMSW2.jpg

But is this good for coarse or too much/too little? The manual is in Japanese so I tried my best to figure out, but it seems like turning right (which is what I did at first) makes the bean finer and turning left makes it coarse, but I'm not sure if turning a little bit makes it less coarse..
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 6:48pm
Subject: Re: [Q] French Press and Coarse Grind

Your 1st picture looks like a good grind.  Not coarse (which I do not recommend for press); yours appears to be a fine grind.

I have a breville smartgrinder and set it for "4" cups, and use 10 oz of water with that to make a mug of coffee.   Always comes out full bodied & rich which is what you want a french press to be.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jaychocolate

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 7:11pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Your 1st picture looks like a good grind.  Not coarse (which I do not recommend for press); yours appears to be a fine grind.

I have a breville smartgrinder and set it for "4" cups, and use 10 oz of water with that to make a mug of coffee.   Always comes out full bodied & rich which is what you want a french press to be.

Len

Posted July 16, 2012 link

Thank you for the reply. I tried again and the picture below seems like it's a coarse grind, but does it look okay, or it's little too much or too little coarsed?

http://i.imgur.com/NMSW2.jpg

Thanks!
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 7:56am

jaychocolate Said:

Thank you for the reply. I tried again and the picture below seems like it's a coarse grind, but does it look okay, or it's little too much or too little coarsed?

http://i.imgur.com/NMSW2.jpg

Thanks!

Posted July 16, 2012 link

It's always tough to give a definite answer on an image. My best advice is to try it in the press... if it tastes weak and watery, go finer, but if it tastes strong and very bitter go coarser.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 4:31pm

As to the grinder, it appears to be adjustable in the same way the Hario Skerton is. You'll need to remove the top nut, pull off the handle, and pull of the washer with arms, then you can adjust grind size by turning the cog left or right. Essentially, this pulls the center (or bottom) burr up of down, thus adjusting the grind size fine or coarse respectively. Standard screw thread rules apply: right = tight = fine, left = loose = coarse. Lock in your setting by replacing the nut with arms, handle, and top nut - in that order.

Do not grind by turning the handle counter clockwise. This may not hurt the grinder, but it will do nothing good for your coffee. Also, please note that hand mills are not especially well-suited to coarse grinds, so you may want more of a medium (kosher salt) grind, depending on your tastes. The issue is that the lower burr is typically free to wobble slightly as it turns, and at coarser settings, this creates what we call boulders and fines: a mix of very coarse and very fine particles, which will not extract evenly. I wouldn't worry about that too much if you are happy with how your coffee tastes though, it's just a consideration if you're seeking improvement in the cup.

As to brewing with a french press, it is absolutely possible to make one cup, in any sized press. Simply add as much water and coffee as needed for that one cup (I like about 20 grams of coffee, and 300 grams of water, which is a slightly high brew ratio). Sludge in the bottom of a cup is, unfortunately, normal for french press. There are numerous methods for removing that, such as pouring through a paper filter after pressing, not pressing at all - but pouring the coffee out with the filter set high in the carafe (my preferred method), or installing an alternative or secondary filter in the press. Other than that, there are some presses, like the Espro press, that are engineered to reduce sludge, at a higher cost.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jaychocolate

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2012, 9:19pm

Thank you for the very detailed reply.

I found the English manual and figured this out. I've been trying out various coarse and I finally seem to have found the one that looks very similar to images floating around on Google.

However, I have yet to see any of my brewed coffee come out to this light color.. I think I could fool someone and say this is a red tea or black tea.

Is it because the coffee is light flavor? According to the coffee bean manufacturer, it is light nutty, easy to drink flavor.

I love the taste. I think it's one of the best I've had, but just wondering because of the color.

http://i.imgur.com/6Q0k0.jpg

SteveRhinehart Said:

As to the grinder, it appears to be adjustable in the same way the Hario Skerton is. You'll need to remove the top nut, pull off the handle, and pull of the washer with arms, then you can adjust grind size by turning the cog left or right. Essentially, this pulls the center (or bottom) burr up of down, thus adjusting the grind size fine or coarse respectively. Standard screw thread rules apply: right = tight = fine, left = loose = coarse. Lock in your setting by replacing the nut with arms, handle, and top nut - in that order.

Do not grind by turning the handle counter clockwise. This may not hurt the grinder, but it will do nothing good for your coffee. Also, please note that hand mills are not especially well-suited to coarse grinds, so you may want more of a medium (kosher salt) grind, depending on your tastes. The issue is that the lower burr is typically free to wobble slightly as it turns, and at coarser settings, this creates what we call boulders and fines: a mix of very coarse and very fine particles, which will not extract evenly. I wouldn't worry about that too much if you are happy with how your coffee tastes though, it's just a consideration if you're seeking improvement in the cup.

As to brewing with a french press, it is absolutely possible to make one cup, in any sized press. Simply add as much water and coffee as needed for that one cup (I like about 20 grams of coffee, and 300 grams of water, which is a slightly high brew ratio). Sludge in the bottom of a cup is, unfortunately, normal for french press. There are numerous methods for removing that, such as pouring through a paper filter after pressing, not pressing at all - but pouring the coffee out with the filter set high in the carafe (my preferred method), or installing an alternative or secondary filter in the press. Other than that, there are some presses, like the Espro press, that are engineered to reduce sludge, at a higher cost.

Posted July 17, 2012 link

pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 7:22am

I suggest you to reference to following link for a new and different way of using French Press.

click here

Here as usual, you can use 9-10 grams of coffee ground and 150-200 ml water, as SCAA suggested.
The point is to disturb the coffee ground in the water to make it well mixed with water, until almost all of the ground down to the bottom of the cup, except few of the very big size of ground.

If you want to make it faster, grind the beans to smaller ground, almost near espresso.  Then you need only about 1-2 minutes and the coffee will taste as good as it should be.

It is important to know that it does not care about the grinding size, coarser or finer are ok.

For the different beans, you can try hot water at different temperature.  You may get surprised.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > [Q] French Press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291075944901)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+