Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
What brewing method yields the widest range of flavors?
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
gregr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Livia 90
Grinder: Moka
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Huky
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:35am
Subject: What brewing method yields the widest range of flavors?

As I look forward to my soon to arrive vacuum pot I've been wondering- will the new brewer highlight varietal flavors as much as an espresso machine does? It's apples to oranges I know...
How about the question in the title- what brewing method would you use to get the most out of your coffee bean?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 8:44am
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
gregr

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 1:07pm
Subject: Re: What brewing method yields the widest range of flavors?

On what?
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 6:48pm

Who you talk to.

I think that cleaner brewing methods will highlight more subtle flavors than methods which let fines and particulates through. People love the Chemex for this reason as well as the Hario, BeeHouse, other manual pourovers (paper and cloth filters) and the cloth filtered Vac-pot. Some do find that the Chemex, specifically due to the very thick filter, actually takes away some of the oils and fats that account for a percentage of the taste. I have found the Chemex a bit TOO clean. I have a Vac-pot but honestly haven't used it enough to have an opinion about it.

What it comes down to (as always) is very personal. We all have our own idea of the best profile (or will in your case) and we all taste the same thing differently depending on a wide array of factors: our mood, our surroundings, who we're with, what we ate, what we expect . . .

Ultimately you can believe what someone else says and just go with it or experiment yourself and find out what your taste buds and olfactory bulb say is IT.

And I would say the answer to your Vac-pot/espresso comparison is no. Espresso is, on average, brewed to 10% TDS/strength. Coffee brewing in America is about 1.3% (generally 1.25-1.35%). That is the major difference.

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:10pm

Well, while Dan's most ELOQUENT dissertation is probably enough to end this discussion (IMO...LOL) my .02:

A couple of years back, while in Lubbock Texas,  I prepared a 3 cup by volume brew with a Cona Siphon brewer.
The coffee was an Ethiopian Sidamo, professionally roasted. The resultant brew was the most elegant, complex, and flavorful cup of coffee I've ever had. However the brewer scares me to death, as I am clumsy. LOL

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 7:49pm

I like my Drip-o-lator but tomorrow, I'm trying something different...

TheBigDripper: napoletana.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 6:03am

IMAWriter Said:

Well, while Dan's most ELOQUENT dissertation is probably enough to end this discussion (IMO...LOL) my .02:

A couple of years back, while in Lubbock Texas,  I prepared a 3 cup by volume brew with a Cona Siphon brewer.
The coffee was an Ethiopian Sidamo, professionally roasted. The resultant brew was the most elegant, complex, and flavorful cup of coffee I've ever had. However the brewer scares me to death, as I am clumsy. LOL

Posted July 9, 2012 link

I know what you mean!  I just recently brewed 3 cups in my new Cona, of Sweet Maria's Sumatra Toba Batak Peaberry.  It had to be the best brew I've ever tasted!!  And this was only my 3rd or 4th brew with the siphon.

And, like you, I fear I'm going to break it every time I bring it to the sink to clean it!  But the elegance and brew are worth the risk!!
gregr

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 7:17am

I was hoping to get opinions- so thanks to those that offered theirs, special thanks for the TDS info regarding espresso v standard U.S. brewed coffee. I'm aware that anything to do with taste is subject to the taster's personal preference and physiology and I asked my question hoping for opinions- that's what the forum's about after all.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 9:35am
Subject: ...

gregr

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012, 3:13pm

Thanks- I appreciate the info!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > What brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277620077133)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+