Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
How do I reattach the wooden knob on the lid of a stainless steel kettle?
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > How do I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Unhookthestars

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 4:52pm
Subject: How do I reattach the wooden knob on the lid of a stainless steel kettle?

Hello everyone,

I just bought a stovetop pouring kettle with a wooden knob screwed onto the lid.  The first time I used it, I had trouble pulling off the lid as the water reached boiling and the knob came off.  I since have had to rescrew the knob very tightly with my fingers with each use.  After just a few days, the hole now seems completely worn down and the knob won't stay on at all no mater how tightly I turn it to the right.  Did I just overdo it, or is this a manufacturer defect?  Either way, what is the best way to reattach the knob short of using Epoxy, which I don't want anywhere near my stove or kitchen equipment? ;)  Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

j.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 5:31pm
Subject: Re: How do I reattach the wooden knob on the lid of a stainless steel kettle?

Unhookthestars Said:

Hello everyone,

I just bought a stovetop pouring kettle with a wooden knob screwed onto the lid.  The first time I used it, I had trouble pulling off the lid as the water reached boiling and the knob came off.  I since have had to rescrew the knob very tightly with my fingers with each use.  After just a few days, the hole now seems completely worn down and the knob won't stay on at all no mater how tightly I turn it to the right.  Did I just overdo it, or is this a manufacturer defect?  Either way, what is the best way to reattach the knob short of using Epoxy, which I don't want anywhere near my stove or kitchen equipment? ;)  Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks.

j.

Posted July 8, 2012 link

Get a larger wood screw (than the one currently being used), preferably stainless steel, and screw it back on with it.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 5:45pm
Subject: Re: How do I reattach the wooden knob on the lid of a stainless steel kettle?

orů stick a round toothpick into the hole and snap it off flush with the top of the hole. Place a small dap of white wood glue into the hole and screw the existing screw back in. The toothpick will make the hole smaller and the wood glue will keep it secure. The screw will re-thread into the toothpick and all will be well. I use this technique often for stripped out holes in wood. Hope this helps and the care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Unhookthestars

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 5:48pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Get a larger wood screw (than the one currently being used), preferably stainless steel, and screw it back on with it.

Len

Posted July 8, 2012 link

Great idea.  Much appreciated, Len!

j.
Unhookthestars

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 5:57pm

redkiosk Said:

orů stick a round toothpick into the hole and snap it off flush with the top of the hole. Place a small dap of white wood glue into the hole and screw the existing screw back in. The toothpick will make the hole smaller and the wood glue will keep it secure. The screw will re-thread into the toothpick and all will be well. I use this technique often for stripped out holes in wood. Hope this helps and the care!

Jim

Posted July 8, 2012 link

Jim,

Thank you for the idea!  I had thought of doing something similar but was a little paranoid that the glue would somehow melt as the water temperature rose and seep through the kettle.  Yes, I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac. ;). But I'll definitely consider your suggestion.  Thanks again!

j.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > How do I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265670061111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+