Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Envelope

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 10:02am
Subject: Re: Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)

This just happened to me.  I was going to make some iced coffee, dropped the first ice cube into the room temperature carafe, and the glass burst.  There wasn't a drastic temperature change, as it happened with the first ice cube.  This must be happening to more people than are commenting on it here.  This product needs to be be built with parts that are safe.  I don't plan on trying to get a replacement from BonaVita based on others' experience on this front.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 10:28am

You dropped ice cubes into a glass vacuum flask and it broke ?

I'm not surprised.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 12:25pm

__________ Said:

You dropped ice cubes into a glass vacuum flask and it broke ?

I'm not surprised.

Posted September 7, 2013 link

I bet you could drop a one pound rock into the flask and it wouldn't break ... if the rock was pulverized into sand first.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steelgtr

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Cuisinart Ceramic Burr
Drip: Mr. Coffee, Bunn, Krups
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:33am

Just got one and ran some water through it.. Spray head very sporadic; some holes didn't have any water coming out, others just occasionally.  Normal?

thx

bob
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 12:35pm

I have been using a glass one for just over a year now. Last week, it up and stopped brewing. curiouse! however, Bonavita's warrenty is amazing and their customer service is spectacular. New one on the way...
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 9:52am

Bonavita replaced my brewer---it was over heating, up to 207.5, and the shower head also leaking. The replacement brewer works fine but when observing it's shower head it doesn't seem as consistent as my original brewer was prior to it's leak. I'll keep watching but coffee results are good. I called the number for customer service at BonavitaWorld.com, they took time to talk with me about my over-heating brewer.

Regarding Bonavita's glass-lined thermos problems....  I was really concerned prior to purchase as I've used ONLY glass-lined thermal carafes since 1990 with absolutely NO problems. Prior to Bonavita, my brewers were glass carafe models so fresh brew was always poured into a pre-heated thermal carafe. Typical glass-lined carafes purchased in retail stores or online are taller and narrow compared to the Bonavita thermal carafe or the Melitta 8 Cup Thermal Pour Over (one and the same carafe). Bonavita's carafe is much wider and shorter than others AND, with the top removed, has huge opening. The opening alone makes a big difference IF your carafe explodes.

I'm curious if the standard taller, narrow glass-lined carafes withstand regular use better due to their construction and dimensions? These carafes have been around forever---they may look a little different on their exterior and are sold under different brand names BUT appear exactly the same inside. All have a smaller opening at the top, still big enough for a bottle brush. I've kept those carafes clean using an OXO all plastic brush. When my replacement brewer arrived it included a round sponge w/plastic handle for cleaning my original carafe. I love my Bonavita brewer but have handled the carafe with extreme care due to reviews and it's different construction.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 3:09pm

I have a question about placing the filter basket when brewing. I see in most videos that the basket is placed under the shower screen with the handle facing to the right (when you are facing the machine with the water container and power switch to the left). However, when I look at the pattern of the shower screen it looks like in runs from back to front more densely with one hole on the left and right. Wouldn't it be better to have the handle facing you instead of to the right so the shape of the filter basket matches the shower screen?
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 4:08pm

I've wondered the same thing but don't know that it matters---I would also like to hear others input on this. I've seen it shown in videos both ways.

My brewer sits slightly angled out to the left of the wall (on right), the water tank in the back, where carafe sits to the front. I start out with basket handle facing me (front) lined up with carafe handle, after grounds are wet rotate to one side, when tank water reaches 6 cup mark rotate to the other side, when just below 4 cups rotate to front and agitate basket around by the handle, shake a little to level grounds then leave til thru dripping.

We all have our ways.
bgdbgd

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 4:17pm

Our second carafe just exploded, and we've only had  the Bonavita Coffee maker for four months.  The first thermal carafe exploded when my husband placed it down on our granite countertop a couple of months ago.  Lightly-- he did not slamming it down.   Its something we do every day.  

We ordered another (called a Melita one, but it was exactly the same) for about $40, and that one just exploded with a huge bang when I put water in it.  There was no substantial temperature change; it had been open and had about a 1/4 cup of coffee left that I poured out, the water was lukewarm.  Also something we do every day.  

We never put it in the dishwasher, used anything but a soft brush in it, or otherwise abused either carafe.  

Needless to say, we're not thrilled about turning our $150 machine (which we were happy with, and we're picky) into a $230 by buying a third carafe.  

Particularly if this is going to continue every couple of months.

Grrrr.
artdrectr

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 4:57pm

I've read of others that have had their thermal carafe replaced for free after they contacted the company. Might take a phone call. Have you tried that approach yet? (I've had the glass carafe (not thermal) about 3 yrs...no problems yet...knock knock).
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247597932816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+