Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cona D and a Butane Burner Question...
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cona D and a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JRaderph
JRaderph
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: Behmoor
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2009, 5:25pm
Subject: Cona D and a Butane Burner Question...

I really enjoy using the Cona.  However, the alcohol lamp is certainly quaint but really slow - even with boiled water.  So, I got the butane burner from SM.  I rigged up a way to elevate the the Cona so I could use the butane.  What a difference!!  

So, my question is will the burner damage the Cona?  I would think one would need to keep the flame at a reasonable level, but any other concerns?  If not, I'm going to make a stand for the Cona so the burner will fit.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste great with ketchup.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Mon Feb 16, 2009, 5:32am
Subject: Re: Cona D and a Butane Burner Question...

I use the Cona stove top model on a gas hob, so I don't think there should be a problem as such using a butane burner with yours unless heat was concentrated over a very small area.
 View Profile Link to this post
BellaJava
BellaJava
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Auto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex, Cory, Hellem, Cona,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Alp, FR+, HWG
Posted Sun Mar 15, 2009, 4:13pm
Subject: Re: Cona D and a Butane Burner Question...

As with any glass vacpot to be used with an open flame... NEVER allow the flames to lick up past the water line.  This is most important while the water is all up north and the water line is considerably lower.  Other than that you shouldn't have a problem.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Silas

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 1:01pm
Subject: Cona and Butane burner Set up Works!

I, too, just rigged my new Cona "C" for use with a butane burner.  I was concerned with the heat also, but found a Micro Burner that puts out only 1100 degrees and can be turned down to almost nothing.  Amazon for $27.16!!

Had a 12x15 inch cutting board that was 7/8" thick, cut a 3 1/4 inch hole in it, sat the Micro burner in it.  The distance from the burner to the Cona glass pot was exactly the same as the Spirit burner....about 7/8 inch.  There is a bit of "wiggle room" with the burner in the hole and I can center it under the pot perfectly. (By the way, the Micro burner cannot be used under the pot without dropping it 7/8 inch....the igniter TOUCHES the Cona lower pot! )

Cut my total time from around 10-13 minutes with spirit burner and boiling water added to lower pot.....to 3 1/2 minutes TOTAL!!  Absolutely fantastic!

And the great part was that this particular Micro Burner is Chrome and black, and aesthetically match the Cona set up as if it were made for the Cona.

Been wanting to do this as soon as I got my Cona, and now that it is done, am quite pleased with the result.  From boiling water to draw down, everything is improved.

Not bad for less than $30!!

Now I'm thinking of staining the cutting boad to bring out the wood grain!

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 1:30pm
Subject: Re: Cona and Butane burner Set up Works!

Bit late to suggest it I know, but as an alternative that doesn't need any modifications to the stand, have you tried using the cans of alcohol gel used as heaters for chafing dishes ?

They fit exactly into the hole in the stand, and give just the right clearance below the pot.

Give out more heat than the standard Cona alcohol burner, but not too much that they overdo the water simmering once it has gone up north.

Cheap from any food service supplier over here - about 0.59 I think for the last ones I bought - about 90 cents US. Even less if you buy in quantity.
Silas

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 2:06pm

Good idea on the alcohol gel!!  We have the Sterno cans too.  Never even thought of that.

And, man, I've got more alcohol camping stoves than you can name.....carry them on the motorcycle when camping.  Tried them all to see if they would fit, but none really did. But, now with the 7/8 inch drop, some might!  More fun to experiment with.

But the main convenience for me has been the ability to adjust the flame to let me experiment a bit.  I DID find that I could make the Cona rod rattle a bit if I overdid it.....and I could instantly lower the flame so that didn't happen.  And the fill ups are a breeze; at Academy Sports, a can that will fill it about 3 times runs about $3.00.  So, I guess about $1 a fill.  I'm not sure how many pots I can make on one fill.  (But I DO keep the Spirit Burner on the board, just in case it runs out in "mid-process!"  Haven't had that happen however.)

Now that I look at the package the Micro Burner came in, I need to modify a couple of statements:

Maximum temp is 1300C (2450F) But that might be the slightly larger model: R--4001

Burn time is 60-120 minutes on one fill.  Brand is Roburn Micro Burner, model R-2001.

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 3:34am

Chafing gel is definitely worth a try.  Less messy than burning alcohol (what we call methylated spirit here because of the methanol and other unpleasant stuff they have to put in to make it undrinkable).

I get the 100% ethanol gel chafing cans.  I think they burn quite a bit hotter than the methanol ones, but not sure how significant that would be.  Cheap and easy to experiment anyway.

Send us all a pic of how your design turns out.
stevieboy9

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Preciso; OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Cona, Hario
Drip: Chemex;Aeropress;Technivorm
Roaster: tabletop drum; Poppery 1;
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 2:24pm

Nice job!  Could you post some pictures of your setup, please?  I have a Cona D as well but haven't tried it yet with my butane burner.

Steve, in Ft. Worth.

"What in the wide, wide world of sports's a-goin' on here?!"
Silas

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 10:29am

stevieboy9 Said:

Nice job!  Could you post some pictures of your setup, please?  I have a Cona D as well but haven't tried it yet with my butane burner.

Steve, in Ft. Worth.

Posted July 7, 2012 link

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I don't know how to post pictures (man, am I out of date!!)  

But basically any 7/8 thick piece of wood would do....just cut a 3" or 3 1/4 inch hole in it, whatever size that is the bottom diameter of the burner you have...allow a little more to be able to center the burner.   First time I used a hole saw, too! I think a thicker piece of wood would not give the clearances for the burner handle to fit. Most burners taper from a larger diameter base to a small top.  The burner BASE would NOT fit in the hole of the standard Cona base....but the smaller tapered part DOES, and also, it LOWERS the burner enough to give it proper distance from the Cona bottom pot.  If you just SIT the burner ON the top of the base, the burner igniter TOUCHES the bottom of the glass....not good!

Place the Cona stand hole over the hole in the wood, and drop the burner in it....drops just the right amount and looks great!

If I had put more thought in it, I would have gone over to the local Cypress wood shop and gotten a piece of solid cypress.  The cutting board with lots of strips was a little tough to cut. But..it was what I had at the time.

I know this was not as good as a picture, but the best I could do in description.
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 10:12pm

I designed a simple and elegant solution to the problem discussed above. It's basically a thick cutting board with a 3-1/2 diameter cup recessed in it to accept a butane burner. This not only solves the temperature control problem, but also has the advantage of allowing the Cona brewer and butane burner to be transported and displayed as a unit atop the brew board.

Here is a photo set of the Cona brew board in action:

http://bit.ly/179SVgo

Since this may be of interest to some other Cona owners, I had a few more brew boards made. Right now there is one each in walnut, pecan and mesquite:

http://bit.ly/1cHgGRj

Eastsideloco: 10102277044_16907ea27f_n.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cona D and a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281191825867)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+