Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Manual Coffee Grinder + Balance Brewer
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Manual Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
garrett17

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: capresso, OE Lido, Hario...
Vac Pot: belgium royal coffee maker
Roaster: fresh roast sr500
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 4:18pm
Subject: Manual Coffee Grinder + Balance Brewer

Hi,

I brew about 20 gms of roasted coffee (medium roast) in a balance brewer, 2-3 times per day. I would like to find a manual coffee grinder that is retro but can grind 20 gms in around 60 seconds. Also, the grinder will not be in great physical shape so it can't be too hard to turn. I would love to get your feedback as to which would be the best fit for $100 and under. Am I dreaming or is there something out there that can be a good fit?

A few notes:

1) Love the look of a spong 3 but they are too expensive on ebay. Could a spong 2 be acceptable for 20 gms in a balance brewer?
2) I have looked at sites such as Sweet Marias and saw this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/zass.grainmill.html and orphanespresso but all the talk seems to be on grinding for espresso. Plus more and more I am leaning towards a clamp down for speed and ease of use.
3) The forums on coffeegeek all seem to love Zassenhaus but I worry that because I am grinding 20 gms the models I have looked at may be too small.

Finally, I have combed through the different forums on here to see if my question has been asked before and I can't seem to find anything so if this question is redundant just call me blind! :)

Thanks,
Blake
 View Profile Link to this post
garrett17

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2012, 9:11pm
Subject: Re: Need Your Advice! Pairing Manual Coffee Grinder + Balance Brewer

Bueller? Is there anyone who can give their two cents? I just want to find a good manual grinder that can grind for a balance brewer/vac pot, where the time to grind is less than 60-90 seconds and preferably something that has a bit of a retro look to it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 12:36am
Subject: Re: Manual Coffee Grinder + Balance Brewer

garrett17 Said:

2) I have looked at sites such as Sweet Marias and saw this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/zass.grainmill.html and orphanespresso but all the talk seems to be on grinding for espresso. Plus more and more I am leaning towards a clamp down for speed and ease of use.

Posted June 30, 2012 link

OE did follow up with a smaller version that's better suited for drip grinds.  I have no experience with them, but the user grind comparison photos looked impressive anyway, & you don't have to mess with the alignment like on the bigger one.  I really wanted a manual also, just for the simplicity of fewer parts, durability, & to get the most burr for my money more than anything, but after reading & asking around here I determined the one to get for this purpose is the vario with the optional metal brewing burrs.  Convenience won out, but then budget ultimately won because the vario with the extra burrs was starting to get a little pricey for me, so I went with the virtuoso-preciso model instead & it's been great so far. While i sometimes regret not having splurged on the vario, every time I wake up & am preparing my coffee, i am SO glad I didn't go manual now.  But your 60-90 second requirement, I think the OE's will be plenty fast for that.

But I think OE also sells upgrade kits for the cheaper hand grinders (hario?) that supposedly produce less fines than they do stock, if you want to go that route.
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 4:18am

VKirby Said:

OE did follow up with a smaller version that's better suited for drip grinds.  I have no experience with them, but the user grind comparison photos looked impressive anyway, & you don't have to mess with the alignment like on the bigger one.  I really wanted a manual also, just for the simplicity of fewer parts, durability, & to get the most burr for my money more than anything, but after reading & asking around here I determined the one to get for this purpose is the vario with the optional metal brewing burrs.  Convenience won out, but then budget ultimately won because the vario with the extra burrs was starting to get a little pricey for me, so I went with the virtuoso-preciso model instead & it's been great so far. While i sometimes regret not having splurged on the vario, every time I wake up & am preparing my coffee, i am SO glad I didn't go manual now.  But your 60-90 second requirement, I think the OE's will be plenty fast for that.

But I think OE also sells upgrade kits for the cheaper hand grinders (hario?) that supposedly produce less fines than they do stock, if you want to go that route.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

The OE LIDO is an amazing hand grinder for drip and coarse grinds. It will grind for espresso, but that is not what it was created for. I typically am grinding 18-21g and it takes less than 60 seconds. The small 38mm burrs nibble away at the beans and produce excellent grinds. After my burrs were seasoned with a few pounds of beans, I found the alignment and grind quality to get better. At the same time, my burrs alignment settled in so my zero shifted ever so slightly. I use it every day 1-2 times in my office for my Kalita/Clever/Espro. It requires very little cleaning and has close to 0% grounds retention. Yes, it's $160, but it's grind quality is on par with electric grinders at a much higher price point.

I travel periodically and have taken the LIDO grinder with me. It comes with a neoprene bag with handles, so it is very easy to transport. Aside from the glass catch jar (thick glass) and plastic ring that the jar screws into, the grinder will likely outlast me. If you are looking for a manual grinder that will manage fine drip all the way up to super coarse, the LIDO will manage it all. I highly recommend it - Doug and Barb at OE could answer any questions you have about it.
garrett17

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 8:27am

Thanks VKirby for your response. I will contact OE to see about this smaller version as I do not see it on their website. As for the Virtuoso Preciso I am hoping to stick with a manual. I failed to mention that I am trying to grind this coffee in front of guests outside my home and do not want to mess with electrical chords.

By the way, have you (or anyone else on this site) looked at the Hario Japanese website? They have an english version and there are manual grinders that look beautiful but can't seem to find reviews on some of them so have no idea if they would fit my needs. FYR here is the link: http://www.harioglass.com/coffee/grinder.html
garrett17

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 8:33am

I had a look Sam21 at the LIDO and it does look very impressive. It is slightly more than I wanted to pay but would be willing to do it if there is a world of difference. If beggers could be choosers I was hoping for something that is a bit more retro looking. That said, I most definitely will keep this on my short-list. Thanks for your input!
VKirby

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:23am

garrett17 Said:

Thanks VKirby for your response. I will contact OE to see about this smaller version as I do not see it on their website. As for the Virtuoso Preciso I am hoping to stick with a manual. I failed to mention that I am trying to grind this coffee in front of guests outside my home and do not want to mess with electrical chords.

By the way, have you (or anyone else on this site) looked at the Hario Japanese website? They have an english version and there are manual grinders that look beautiful but can't seem to find reviews on some of them so have no idea if they would fit my needs. FYR here is the link: http://www.harioglass.com/coffee/grinder.html

Posted July 3, 2012 link

You might contact them anyway, but the lido is the newer, smaller version (of the original pharos).  More bad news, it looks like the upgrade kit that improves the Hario/Kyrocera course grinding performance I mentioned is currently OOS. And yeah I remember considering all of those & more when I thought I wanted a hand grinder.  They do look nice, but like you I just wanted something with solid user reviews & proven results already, not one that's going to put a bunch of fines in my course grind!

If I had to have a manual grinder, I'd forget about looks & find a way to justify splurging on that OE Lido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSl816BF5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip-aiP8UdRE
Sam21

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:30am

VKirby Said:

You might contact them anyway, but the lido is the newer, smaller version (of the original pharos) I was recommending.  More bad news, it looks like the upgrade kit that improves the Hario/Kyrocera course grinding performance I mentioned is currently OOS. And yeah I remember considering all of those & more when I thought I wanted a hand grinder.  They do look nice, but like you I just wanted something with solid user reviews & proven results already, not one that's going to put a bunch of fines in my course grind!

If I had to have a manual grinder, I'd find a way to justify splurging on that OE Lido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSl816BF5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip-aiP8UdRE

Posted July 3, 2012 link

I own a Kyocera with the stabilizer mod and the LIDO and I would recommend the LIDO. The Kyocera modification is nice, but the LIDO has more consistent grinds and will outlast the Kyocera easily. The LIDO is rather tall, but that is to allow for large quantities of beans to be inserted into the hopper for full pots of coffee on a drip machine. It uses 38mm burrs that are identical looking to the original Virtuoso: http://www.1st-line.net/mas_assets/full/MC74.jpg

I use it every day in my office and find the cleaning routine to be easy. After grinding and brewing, I just blow the chaff and any other static material off the bottom of the burrs and wipe out the catch jar. For a more thorough cleaning, every few months if not longer, I remove the inner burr (remove two nuts, adjustment bar, and it will slide right out) and clean off the burr. Blow some air down into the hopper to clear any loose chaff, and you are good to go.

I cannot recommend the LIDO enough for someone wanting a manual grinder for non-espresso brewing.
VKirby

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:37am

^ This guy won't steer you wrong garrett, he was right on with his input on my grinder choice too.  Forget about one with retro looks, go for the ugly one that performs.
Sam21

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:39am

VKirby Said:

^ This guy won't steer you wrong garrett, he was right on with his input on my grinder choice too.  Forget about one with retro looks, go for the ugly one that performs.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

I appreciate that. At first, I did not like the look of the LIDO, but now that I know how well it performs, I think it's beautiful. It's a sign of good coffee, as long as the person working it knows what they are doing :-) ...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Manual Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344689130783)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+