Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Which size cory glass filter for yama 8 cup siphon? Other, better filter ideas?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which size cory...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 11:07pm
Subject: Y'all ****** postin' in a yama thread

Silas Said:

Well, since there are no answers to my question as to what would be a possible BETTER Glass filter for the Cona "C," I suppose that the original IS the best one!!

Or no one has tried the others.  

I now see that Cona has its own cloth filter too.  Might get one as a back up in case I break the glass rod.

Any experience with the cloth Cona filters?

Posted June 26, 2012 link

I'm sure KIS will make his way back here soon enough to let you know for sure, but for cona money they'd better be sending it with the best fitting glass rod already.  That's actually what's most appealing about conas to me, the fact that you get a perfect rod to start with, instead of trial & error with a bunch of junk on ebay, some of which are chipped or irregulars.  Cloth & paper will always be easy enough to make work with any of them. But cloth would have to significantly improve the taste over every other filter type, for me to deal with washing those things, & keeping them in a cup in the frig again.

Have you not received yours yet?  Problems with the glass rod or something? If I had a factory matched & warrantied glass rod (yama actually frowns upon the use of them at all in their pots), and it worked without stopping up or letting fines through, I'd be using that instead of paper, or anything, much less cloth.  

All glass, no metal, no plastic, no bathtub drains, no toilet bowl chains; glass > pampers >>>> diapers.  I think you already have the best setup, stock.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 6:29am
Subject: Re: Which size cory glass filter for yama 8 cup siphon?

Hello, Silas. Sorry didn't reply sooner - been in San Francisco for the past few days, and my hotel's wi-fi was very flakey.

The only significant design difference between the cona rods I have is their length and weight. The "business end" - i.e. the bulge which forms the filter is the same shape on all of them, although in total is a bit wider on some.  I don't think it makes much difference, and I just use the first one I pick up.  They all have the same slant on the bottom of this part which fits against the glass bowl.

Some are manufactured/finished a little better than others.  One or two have a tiny seam down the sides where the glass has come out of the mould.  Initially I thought this would mess up the filtration, but in reality it doesn't make any difference.

I'm sure the one you get will be fine.

One thing I would suggest is to let all the water come up into the top bowl before adding the coffee.  As these rods are all glass - no spring to hold them down - they will rattle a bit at first but this then subsides quickly. If you have the coffee already in the top you can sometimes find that the filter rattling around lets some drop back down prematurely.
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 7:06am

VKirby....thanks for the reply!  I'm with you!  I bought the Cona because I wanted the very BEST and it was all glass.  No worries.  I'm just trying to cover all bases.  I'm one of those Plan A, B, C guys; it's a curse!

I just received the Cona and put it on the table, took pictures of it and sent it to a couple of my friends. Wow!!  What a piece of art!  And the glass rod seems to fit perfectly too. But, in the excitement of waiting for my Cona "C' to arrive and having company over for a week, I used up ALL of my coffee beans:  Costa Rica LaMinta and Sumatra Mandheling, and am waiting for my very first subsciption coffee from SM, which will be sent today:  don't even know what it is.  So I ordered a pound of Sumatra Saturday and it might arrive TODAY!

My wife says, "Go ahead and buy some 8'oclock beans and try it out!"   Not for my virgin run on the Cona!  Gotta have some great stuff to start with:  that Cona will only see the best!

KSimple:  I really appreciate your comments also.  I had read about the "jiggling" and waiting for the top to fill and was on the fence about just doing a traditional and putting the coffee first and letting it fill.  But, after your thoughts, I'm certainly going to let it all go "north" first.

All the recent videos I saw said to stir.....looks like I'll start by stirring once and seeing how it does.

One more concern:  I have a brand new Capresso Infinity:  I'm not sure where to START for the grind.  I suppose somewhere between the medium and coarse settings would be a good start. My brother is starting to do French Press and is in the market for a grinder.....I may give him mine and get the Baratza Virtuoso, not the Preciso, since I don't drink Espresso. But I'll wait and see how the Infinity handles it.
  Bought my denatured alcohol at Ace yesterday and am READY!!   Christmas in June!!
Silas

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:58pm
Subject: Better rod for Cona?

Looks like the Cona glass rod that came with the "C" model is PERFECT!!  

Made 2 pots.....no stalls, and excellent coffee.

Virgin pot done with Sumatran Mandhiling on lowest coarse grind.   Hardly any sediment at all. Great coffee!

2nd pot done with Ethiopian Goba from Sweet Marias that came today.  Set grind on highest medium grind.   A bit more sediment, but excellent!  Next pot will be one click finer on medium to see how that does.  Capresso Infinity 560 seems to be doing a good job so far.

More importantly, seems like the supplied Glass Rod was a perfect match.  No worries!

Thanks for the input, guys!
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Better rod for Cona?

Silas Said:

Looks like the Cona glass rod that came with the "C" model is PERFECT!!  

Made 2 pots.....no stalls, and excellent coffee.

Virgin pot done with Sumatran Mandhiling on lowest coarse grind.   Hardly any sediment at all. Great coffee!

2nd pot done with Ethiopian Goba from Sweet Marias that came today.  Set grind on highest medium grind.   A bit more sediment, but excellent!  Next pot will be one click finer on medium to see how that does.  Capresso Infinity 560 seems to be doing a good job so far.

More importantly, seems like the supplied Glass Rod was a perfect match.  No worries!

Thanks for the input, guys!

Posted June 29, 2012 link

Good to hear, congrats!  I've found the vacuum pot system to be pretty foolproof.  I can't seem to ruin a pot anyway.

Is yours or is any cona model capable of sitting directly on a glass stovetop, & ditching the burners, does anyone know? I'm not as much into the work of art/tabletop theatre side of it, but just as a daily user where speed & convenience is priority.  Just in case I eventually tink my yama too hard on the sink or something (I've been more careless with it than I would dare to be with a cona).  I would have went with the nice one from the start had I known this system was going to work out so well for me- i figured it would have been too much of a hassle for daily use, but it's great on all fronts except for cleanup.  Wish I would have splurged on a cona now, if for nothing else but the stock glass rod, since you're reporting no sediments with a course grind.  Thanks for getting back to us with the update.
Silas

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 1:42pm

Kirby....my Cona "C" has a flat bottom so I suppose it can be put on the stove.  But, I don't think I will....too darn expensive to break with all the metal!!

3rd brew today with Sumatran Peaberry.....I think this is my favorite of the 3 pots!  No stall, once more.  I think I've read so much about stalls that I'm waiting for " the shoe to fall."

But.....if you don't like the slowness, and I found that mine is taking about 5-6 minutes to return to boil after filling pot with boiling water.....I ordered a MICRO BURNER for it.  About $35 shipped.  I'm not really sure it will fit, but I will find a use for it.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  I am not so much getting it for the quickness as to the fact that I can adjust the flame, from very hot to very low.  Can't adjust flame with the alcohol.....which, by the way does well.

And, the siphon bug having bitten, I looked and looked for a source for a HARIO NOUVEAU NCA-3 cup.  Took me awhile, but I found one in Canada at the Green Beanery.  Ordered it about midnite last night.  I really wanted the TWO best vacuum pots and I think the CONA and the HARIO NOUVEAU are neck and neck.  

It will be fun to compare pots.  I also received an the "NEW" CORY rod in the mail today and will try it and the CONA rod in the new Hario.  It certainly is larger than my Cona rod.  

And of course, the Micro Burner will be used for the HARIO also.  

I think I've spent enough money for a month or two.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 2:51pm

Silas Said:

One more concern:  I have a brand new Capresso Infinity:  I'm not sure where to START for the grind.  I suppose somewhere between the medium and coarse settings would be a good start. My brother is starting to do French Press and is in the market for a grinder.....I may give him mine and get the Baratza Virtuoso, not the Preciso, since I don't drink Espresso. But I'll wait and see how the Infinity handles it.
  Bought my denatured alcohol at Ace yesterday and am READY!!   Christmas in June!!

Posted June 27, 2012 link

Start in the middle of the grind adjustment. (like any all purpose grinder.)
"Feel of the" grind, as they say here in the south.
If it feels in-between salt and sugar, go for out.
If the up north/down south routine works as it should, but your coffee is a bit weak, add more coffee, leave the grind as it is.

BTW, the Silex Lox-In glass filter (discussed on another thread) will fit several different van pots, and has a chain that secures it to the top globe.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 4:06pm

VKirby Said:

Is yours or is any cona model capable of sitting directly on a glass stovetop, & ditching the burners, does anyone know?

Posted June 30, 2012 link

All the current Cona models can be used on a stovetop - the "table" versions have exactly  the same bottom globe as the stovetop versions.

Do be careful though if you have a gas stovetop with cast iron pan supports - Cona glass is reasonably tough, but try not to ding it.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 4:14pm

Silas Said:

But.....if you don't like the slowness, and I found that mine is taking about 5-6 minutes to return to boil after filling pot with boiling water.....I ordered a MICRO BURNER for it.  About $35 shipped.  I'm not really sure it will fit, but I will find a use for it.  I'll let you know how that turns out.  

I haven't been able to find a butane gas burner that will fit under the bottom globe when using the Cona stand; so if you do find one, would be very interested in what you get.

An alternative is the Cona Electric heater which is designed for the B/C/D stands and fits exactly into the circle cut out for the alcohol lamp.  I've got a couple of them. I think they probably aren't made any more, so ebay or similar is the best source.  I'm fairly sure they did make them for 110 as well as 230v.  If you use one of those, you start with cold water.  Switch on the heater.  When half of the water has risen to the top, switch off the heater. The residual heat continues to drive the water up, and then keeps it there gurgling gently for ~ 2 minutes before it drops back.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 4:19pm

Silas Said:

3rd brew today with Sumatran Peaberry.....I think this is my favorite of the 3 pots!  No stall, once more.  I think I've read so much about stalls that I'm waiting for " the shoe to fall."

I've never had a "stall" not ever using either the glass Cona rods or the flat plastic disc in the Bodum vacuum pots (which I also use in a Hario knock-off instead of the messy cloth filters).

I think it's just a case of having a reasonable grinder that doesn't create too much dust. I use a Dualit (aka Solis 166/Starbucks Barista) grinder that is fairly cheap and certainly not the best around, but hasn't ever caused any problem.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which size cory...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395676136017)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+