Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Options for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:37pm
Subject: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

Hi

I really love my 8 cup glass handle chemex and use it for 20-24 ounces. There are himes, however that I wish to brew MUCH less coffee. By much less I mean enough to fill an 11 ounce mugh and leave 1 ince at the top.  I am not sure my 8 cup chemex is the best option for making a final brew of 9-10 ounces. Given my eyesight and eye-hand coordination, I have ruled out Hario as requiring two exacting a poor (I tried) . I am looking for a reasonably tolerant device.  I have the Kalita 185 and that is definately much more tolerant than the Hario, but  I wonder if it can only brew 10 ounces? I like methods with a 3-5 minute brew time.

Here are some possibilities that have come to mind:

1) Kalita 155
2) Continue to use the Kalita 185 for rather small batches
3) 1-3 xup Chemex
4) Some type of non-plastic drip cone

I am atrracted to both Chemex and Kalita in that I have used them with good results.

Any thoughts including other possibilities I missed.

Thanks

Jay
 View Profile Link to this post
mrbjvb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita, Rancilio...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup
Drip: Behmor BraZen, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:48pm
Subject: Re: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

Hey Jay, sounds like you need the Clever Coffee Dripper. Makes a great single cup of coffee - very easy to use. Cost less than
   $20. Check it out.  
                                John
jaybar

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 12:52pm
Subject: Re: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

I prefer non plastic options. But I won't rule it out.

Thanks

Jay
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 2:31pm

I second the clever its a great brewer and makes a fine cup. If you prefer non plastic check out this Bonmac single hole filtercone.

Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)
oktyone

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 3:02pm

I'd say an Aeropress or a Clever, but since you prefer non-plastic you might consider the the german porcelain Walkure Karlsbad or Bayreuth brewers, not only are they beautifully made out of ceramic, they don't even require paper or metal filters, the top portion of the brewer includes a water difuser that allows for a forgiving pour technique while evenly saturating the coffee and a filter mesh made entirely out of the same ceramic as the rest of the brewer, i like them, but since they only recently have been imported to the U.S, you'll find it hard to find pre-given brewing instructions or parameters, but if you like experimenting it should be pretty cool, they come in different sizes, the smallest one being for one cup.

Intelligentsia sells some of them on their website, so does SeattleCoffeeGear and most recently Prima Coffee, they're a bit pricey, but totally worth it in my opinion.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 7:18pm

I would recommend a stainless steel Kalita 155. I use one and love it.
StereoHeathen

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: "Starbucks" Baratza Maestro
Drip: Bee House, Clever
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 7:47pm

Have you considered a very small french press, perhaps even an Espro?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 10:18pm

Like most are saying, use the Clever.  I have one with a gold filter.  Works awesome; brew tastes very similar to french press.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 8:08pm

Most of the Melitta filter based drippers (BeeHouse, BonMac...) are ceramic, pretty forgiving and make a very good cup. I would recommend steering away from the size 1 as it is nice to have a little extra room and that size gives no headroom at all.

Stick to your guns and stay away from methods that brew in plastic, nylon and silicone, whether you taste it or not it is there.

I'd recommend steering away from the Espro FP as it uses silicone rings around the plunger. I personally can taste silicone when it's in the brew as well as when I'm using a travel mug using silicone rings to seal the lid. I have a beautiful Nissan Thermos mug I bought for $27 that I cannot use due to the coffee passing the silicone rings and adding a bad off flavor (which I highly doubt is merely a flavor, but rather chemicals leaching in the coffee). It's a shame, I otherwise love that mug.

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 8:16am

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Options for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249758005142)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+