Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Looking for recommendations for a replacement coffee brewer
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
djdube525

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 8:41am
Subject: Looking for recommendations for a replacement coffee brewer

A newbie / first time poster here...

I believe our Cuisinart Coffee station is headed to the dust bin (randomly turns on/off)...

My preference is to keep the cost under $100... although willing to stretch to $150 if there is a compelling case.
I do have a french press, but I'll be honest, for big batches, I'd rather a bigger brewer.
Something that is bpa free containers (water storage, coffee tank - our current one is plastic... not sure if it's bpa free).

Any thoughts? Major brands to consider? I was likely going to opt for a Cuisinart DCC-1200, but thought I'd swing by and ask here for thoughts.

Thanks!

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
redkiosk
redkiosk
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 9:53am
Subject: Re: Looking for recommendations for a replacement coffee brewer

If I was in your position, I would use the french press for as long as it took to save and stretch that amount to $200. The Behmor BraZen Brewer looks like a winner and will be available for order and shipping on August 23rd. Here's a thread discussing it

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/577567

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 4:43pm

For under $100, the Bunn HG (don't have one but the reviews are decent for it) is an option, as is the Bunn NHB (have one - it works well).

For a little more ($129), my personal favorite is the Bonavita BV-1800 - this brewer is simple yet stylish and makes a great pot of coffee.

Welcome to CG and good luck with your search!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
djdube525

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 7:51pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion for the Bonivita. A couple general questions...

Any thoughts on Thermal (I see the Bonivita's carafe is glass lined) vs Glass? Am I correct in thinking the glass carafe sits on a hot plate and would therefore have an opportunity to burn the coffee if it sits too long?

Thoughts on paper vs a permanent filter? Any thing to watch out for?

Dave
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 9:22pm

djdube525 Said:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the suggestion for the Bonivita. A couple general questions...

Any thoughts on Thermal (I see the Bonivita's carafe is glass lined) vs Glass? Am I correct in thinking the glass carafe sits on a hot plate and would therefore have an opportunity to burn the coffee if it sits too long?

Posted June 16, 2012 link

Hi Dave, I have the glass carafe model but I tried coffee the thermal model too at a friend's place. The coffee tasted the same and the thermal carafe looks nice, but it is a few bucks more. I don't leave my machine on after brewing so the carafe heating plate isn't an issue (I make mostly 1/2 pots).

djdube525 Said:

Thoughts on paper vs a permanent filter? Any thing to watch out for?

Dave

I use Melitta #4 cone filters when I am in a hurry since clean up is easier, but when I am not in a hurry I like the my Swiss Gold cone or my Kaffeologie steel mesh cone filter.

Did you like your Cuisinart Brewer?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
djdube525

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 4:06am

EricBNC Said:

Did you like your Cuisinart Brewer?

We currently have a Cuisinart DCC-2000 (http://amzn.to/2Jmuov)... I don't have much experience compared to other machines. Our coffee was certainly warmer than other brands (Braun), but still never seemed to get hot enough. We liked the convenience factor of throwing a mug down and pull the lever... although travel mugs were invariably too tall, so you have to monkey around with the brewer.

The thing I'm not a fan of... the coffee reservoir is made of plastic, and there is a metal piece on the bottom that stays in contact with a heating element to keep the coffee warm. I could never find if the plastic reservoir, or coffee basket were bpa free... while they may be, I never can seem to get a similar pour as other local coffee shops.
koyoyo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 4:26am

humm,,, i am agree with you

For led t-shirt, el led t-shirt, sound actived t-shirt,welcome to visit:
http://www.ledtshirtonline.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Looking for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272391080856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+