Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
drip vs press vs aerobie
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > drip vs press vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jnboone

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Aerobie
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 6:44am
Subject: drip vs press vs aerobie

For just a good cup, what are your opinions, and do you have any recommendations for a grinder - considering I'm planing on buying a grinder for espresso - either the Vario or the Vario W (I've read that some say the Vario won't grind coarse enough for a press - input?)?
 View Profile Link to this post
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 7:05am
Subject: Re: drip vs press vs aerobie

Well ... I'm obsessed with espresso machines so that's what I spend my time experimenting with.  However I have an aeropress and it is so convenient, so simple and easy that I often wonder why I'm fooling around with complicated and expensive equipment.  

And to take it even one step further ... even the aeropress ... I look back fondly at the days of just setting a pourover funnel over a cup (or a larger pour over funnel to make a pot) and have to admit that I think that system is hard to beat. (and I haven't even tried the latest and greatest of those - I'm just remembering using a cheap-o Melitta and thinking that was pretty near perfect)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 7:31am

jnboone Said:

For just a good cup, what are your opinions, and do you have any recommendations for a grinder - considering I'm planing on buying a grinder for espresso - either the Vario or the Vario W (I've read that some say the Vario won't grind coarse enough for a press - input?)?

Posted June 14, 2012 link

So you want a grinder that is good for drip or press or aerobie or espresso?  I'm just trying to match your subject line to the post you made before I can give any further comment.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jnboone

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Aerobie
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 8:20am

In a perfect world...yes.  I would like one grinder that would do a great job however I decide to indulge myself.  My hope is that either Vario would do just that.  As I continue to read it's looking like I may just be looking at Aerobie, drip, and espresso.  Seems many favor the Aerobie over the mess of the press.  It appears that the filter in the Aerobie may eliminate problem - provided I like the taste from the Aerobie as much as a press.  I've never had either.  Looking for something better than the drip even though it may not be as convenient.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 8:49am

Look at the Baratza Preciso, it should do what you are looking for. They have recently upgraded the innards and coupled with the Esatto scale, you would be good to go. I love mine. Here's Mark's review of itů

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:51am

jnboone Said:

It appears that the filter in the Aerobie may eliminate problem - provided I like the taste from the Aerobie as much as a press.  

There are also several permanent, non-paper filters, on the market for the aeropress that give you all the oils like a press but with the convenience of the aeropress.  

Myself, I find I am sensitive to the oils and prefer using the paper filters in the aeropress.  But I've heard great things in other posts from users with the permanent filters on the aeropress.  And I think they have fine enough holes (much more fine than the screen in a french press) that you would still be able to use fine grind.

In the aeropress ... if I am just making one cup, I use the same very fine grind I use for espresso.... or maybe just a little more coarse.  But the system works great without any mud in the cup even with very fine grinds.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 12:22pm

jnboone Said:

In a perfect world...yes.  I would like one grinder that would do a great job however I decide to indulge myself.  My hope is that either Vario would do just that.  As I continue to read it's looking like I may just be looking at Aerobie, drip, and espresso.  Seems many favor the Aerobie over the mess of the press.  It appears that the filter in the Aerobie may eliminate problem - provided I like the taste from the Aerobie as much as a press.  I've never had either.  Looking for something better than the drip even though it may not be as convenient.

Personally if I had a choice I would ditch the press and aeropress and get a Clever with a gold filter.  I have a Clever with a gold filter and the resulting brew has the body and depth of a press, and is just as easy to clean up as an aerobie.  I use a fine grind in it; a bit finer than for drip.  Regarding my grinder I have a Breville Smartgrind.  I have not had any issues with it except that I may have weakened one of the grinder gears by attempting to grind some underroasted beans once for an extended period of time.  That I attribute to user error.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 5:21pm

I lookin for the perfect grinder for fine drip to coarse, look to the Virtuoso. Carries the same burrs as the Preciso and does an amazing press grind.

An aeropress, clever, or Espro would be the easiest method to master. That said, I personally enjoy pour over coffee the most for its clarity of flavor and brightness. Whatever route you go, I would highly recommend the Virtuoso.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 6:17pm

I use a Vario for all the above, with no complaints. However, I don't subscribe to the typical "grind as coarse as you can" french press brew, and I grind much closer to a drip level. My Vario is calibrated for espresso anyway, so a typical french press grind is a bit beyond my capabilities without a recalibration. I also don't press my press, so I'm all sorts of weird.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 6:59pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

I use a Vario for all the above, with no complaints. However, I don't subscribe to the typical "grind as coarse as you can" french press brew, and I grind much closer to a drip level. My Vario is calibrated for espresso anyway, so a typical french press grind is a bit beyond my capabilities without a recalibration. I also don't press my press, so I'm all sorts of weird.

Steve, I also have always ground my french press fine, not coarse.  I tried coarse when I first started, and found that fine ground provided much better extraction of flavors and deeper body.  A bit more fines, easily delt with by not drinking the last sip of press.

Len

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > drip vs press vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32647395134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+