Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Moka pot pressure
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 6:24pm
Subject: Moka pot pressure

What's the typical pressure range for a standard moka pot under normal use?

I've seen the number 1.5 bar on the internet in a number of places (e.g. "An Espresso Glossary") but I could find no reference to any explanation or actual measurement.

Does anybody know?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 1:58am
Subject: Re: Moka pot pressure

The brewing pressure you found is just about right, which is why you cannot really brew espresso with a moka pot, because 1.5 bar is too low for proper extraction.

Also water temperature is too high for expresso (around 100C): When the pot is placed on the stove steam will build up and eventually will reach high enough pressure (1.5 bar) to force the boiling water up the funnel through the ground coffee and into the upper chamber, where the coffee is collected.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jpender
jpender

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 11:12am

Nobby, thanks for the response.

How do you know that the pressure in a moka pot is about 1.5 bar?
greggb
greggb

Espresso: Bezzera Selenia
Grinder: Rocky; Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama SY5
Drip: Aeropress; Melitta; Brikka
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 11:34am

I'm not sure that there is any significant pressure involved in moka pot brewing. The pressure in the  water reservoir needs to be just enough to overcome gravity and the minimal amount of resistance offered by the coffee. I imagine it varies depending upon the size of the pot and the coffee (grind / amount / compaction).

On the other hand, the Bialetti Brikka variation on the moka pot is designed to develop a certain amount of pressure. Therefore it's reservoir walls are thicker.

Gregg.
jpender
jpender

Posted Fri Mar 30, 2012, 2:05pm

Gregg, no significant pressure? As in just a small fraction of a bar or less?

I don't think gravity has much effect unless one has a really tall moka pot. A height of 10 cm adds only 0.01 bar. It comes down to the resistance of the grounds but is there any way to estimate that? Coffee grounds are complicated and dynamic.

Illy found that with the constant pressure in espresso brewing the flow rate dropped over time as fines migrated in the cake and formed a more compact layer. In a moka pot, assuming the same sort of thing happens, an increase in cake resistance would result in higher pressure. Illy doesn't have any nice round formulas relating grind, tamping, pressure and flow rate. Even if espresso afficionados knew how these parameters related (do they?) I'm not sure one could extrapolate to the coarser grind, no tamping, low pressure moka pot case.

I'm curious because there is a relationship between pressure and temperature in a moka pot; 1.5 bar would be undesirable.
greggb
greggb

Espresso: Bezzera Selenia
Grinder: Rocky; Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama SY5
Drip: Aeropress; Melitta; Brikka
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 4:07am

I guess the point I getting at is that the moka pot method, to my mind, is not a pressure based method of brewing. According to an Illy video I saw, it reaches about 1.1 bar.

There are a number of schools of thought on how a moka pot should be used. Some use tamping and finer grinds in an attempt to raise the pressure, but this is not the traditional way a caffettiera is used. And yes I agree, raising the pressure raises the temperature, which as far as I'm concerned would be undesirable.

Gregg.
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 9:34am

Gregg, in the Illy video could you tell if the 1.1 bar represented a typical peak value or an upper limit?

Of course it depends on grind/tamping. I've brewed with an espresso grind and the safety release popped every time. But such a fine grind is on the fringe of what most people normally use. Illy actually sells cans with a moka grind, something between espresso and drip.

I did an experiment:

I took off the safety valve and attached a hose through which I could direct pressurized air. Then I filled the water chamber with near-boiling water, assembled the pot (with coffee loaded) and applied pressure sufficient to achieve what I judged (by eye) to be a "normal" flow. That is, one that was continuous yet slow, so it would take about a minute to push out about 150 ml of water.

I tried this with 6 different grinds. Five were from my Kyocera grinder (adjacent steps that I've labeled #0 through #4) and one was pre-ground Peet's from the supermarket (labled "PG"). The #0 was very fine, the #2 was in range for what I use as a moka grind, and the #4 was on par with the Peet's. No tamping.

In order to maintain the same flow rate I had to steadily increase the pressure over the minute or two it took to push out the water. This is why there is a range of values for each grind.

#0: 7-16 psig (0.5-1.1 bar)
#1: 5-14 psig (0.3-1.0 bar)
#2: 5-10 psig (0.3-0.7 bar)
#3: 7-9  psig (0.5-0.6 bar)
#4: 2-3  psig (0.1-0.2 bar)
PG: 2-4  psig (0.1-0.3 bar)

From this I would venture to guess that my typical use of a moka pot rarely reaches even 1 bar, but admittedly this test was somewhat artificial.

jpender: pump_moka_pressure_test.jpg
(Click for larger image)
blekk

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 2:07am

Hi all,

First post and I thought this would be the place to do it :)  I was wondering if anyone knows what the Bialetti safety pressure valves are rated for, eg is it 1.5 bar (22 psi) before it's released?

Cheers all
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:25pm

blekk Said:

Hi all,

First post and I thought this would be the place to do it :)  I was wondering if anyone knows what the Bialetti safety pressure valves are rated for, eg is it 1.5 bar (22 psi) before it's released?

Cheers all

Posted June 10, 2012 link

G'day blekk!

I have not seen a rating but it wouldn't be difficult to measure.

For a very rough estimate you could place the valve on a scale and then push on the plunger until it starts to open. Then measure the diameter of the orifice. To get a better idea you could attach a bicycle floor pump with a decent gauge to the top of your pot's coffee chimney with some plastic tubing and hose clamps.

Bialetti sells two different sizes of safety valves.
blekk

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 4:10am

Hi jpender thanks for the reply.  I have a Brikka and it has the 15mm safety valve for which I assume has a higher rating due to the design of the Brikka but I would think it would only be about 0.5 bar more then the standard Moka pot.

That's a great idea setting up a test bench btw, Im not sure why I didn't think of it (Mech Engineering student)..... I might give it a try once I finish my exams this week.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Moka pot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353785991669)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+