Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Options for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 8:01am
Subject: Re: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:22am
Subject: Re: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

Netphilosopher Said:

I would agree IF I saw "absorption" vary with extraction in practice.  For my BCM-4C, it is consistently ~1.65-1.80, whether I run a short brew with 17% extraction and medium grind, or run an overextracted brew at 7 minutes with fine grind.  So, to me it's not a "weak" function of extraction, it is a variable independent of extraction.

Posted June 22, 2012 link

You won't easily measure a dependence if the expected variation in extraction (+/-.03) is smaller than the apparently random variation in your absorption constant (+/-.08). You'd have to design an experiment specifically to see it, which makes it a non-issue.

Netphilosopher Said:

My AP absorption varies more (probably because of the smaller amount of coffee) but still hovers between 1.1 and 1.3 - over a wide range of grind sizes (espresso to french press), contact times (30 seconds to 15 minutes), and brew ratios from 5% to 25%.  The other thing I see - overnight steep tends to increase absorption, regardless of grind (to around 1.6-1.7), but again no correlation with strength using same brew ratio (since strength and brew ratio are the primary terms in any calculation of "extraction", regardless of how it's calculated).

I would think that between 5% and 25% brew ratios in an immersion brew you'd get a large enough difference in yield (~0.1) that you might be able to see it -- if you could identify and then control for the other factors that affect absorption. Ironically, extraction might actually affect how much water is absorbed.

Netphilosopher Said:

I don't know how ExtractMoJo calculates it, but there isn't mystery here.  I thought they had a coffee brewing planning model, and the few people that ran some numbers through for me (I don't own the program) seemed to have an absorption of around 2.05 ish.  It's calculated pretty simply:  A = (Wb - Cp) / C

If you look at the patent for Mojo it's pretty clear what they originally intended to do.

jaybar Said:

As the thread starter, how does all this relate to my original question?

Posted June 21, 2012 link

jaybar -- I'm sorry if our geek digression detracted from your thread. If you like I'll happily remove the contents of my posts. Or ask the mods to delete them if you prefer.
jaybar

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 11:14am

Thanks for the offer. Removal is not necessary. I hope there can me more answers to my original question though.

Jay
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 8:17pm

Why not just use the new HARIO MINIPHON.....a ONE CUP siphon brewer?

Pretty darn expensive, though, but supposedly brews ONE great cup.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Options for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279506921768)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+