Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 18 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 6:18am
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

Bit late to comment, I know - but 5 years doesn't seem a long life for a Technivorm.  Are you sure it's a write-off ? They should be fairly easy to service if you can get the spares.   (Understand if this is not so easy outside Europe.)
 View Profile Link to this post
Ormazd
Ormazd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky doserless, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT741
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 9:55am

Yeah, I'll try to fiddle with it.  There doesn't seem to be much information on the net about how to troubleshoot / repair these.

Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:10pm

BTW - over here they get a 5 year warranty (I think even 10 in some European countries if you register the product).

Any chance that yours is still covered in the US ?

What's the problem, by the way ? The only thing I've heard of that does happen occasionally is that the float switch in the base of the water container gets stuck and won't switch on.  They're quite simple devices really, so hopefully a bit of fiddling and you might get lucky.

If all else fails, you might try e-mailing technivorm (info@technivorm.com), although I suspect their USA distributor agreement may mean you're pointed back to your local importer.

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:42pm

Hope the moderators will allow us to drift off topic for a minute, but just to add - I thought I'd seen it somewhere - seems that your local importer did have (last year) what looks like a very good deal swap-out for Technivorm brewers that are out of warranty.

The very last post in this thread might be helpful.

"Re: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD"
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 1:45pm

__________ Said:

Hope the moderators will allow us to drift off topic for a minute, but just to add -

Posted July 25, 2012 link

Of course Rob! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012, 5:38pm

Wow, Technivorm used to sell for $205. That is still a bit high, but much better than $299. With no competition in the US they could command that figure and be worth it. I expect a refurb back then would be even less.

For a while the Sur La Table here was selling a model of TV for $205, not sure if it was a close out or just a sale. If there was no Bonavita (and soon to be Brazen?) available the $205 price would have been tempting...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Redbone
Redbone

Espresso: Brasilia cappuccino del-1
Grinder: Brasilia BFD flat burr...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800
Posted Mon Aug 27, 2012, 6:41am

Had the glass carafe version of the Bonavita for a week now (purchased from espressoplanet). I decided to do some temperature comparison with my current drip coffee maker a G.E. grind & brew model that has not seen much use since we only use it at parties (to many parts to wash). Well we found out that my old thermostat stop giving me accurate reads, but that being said it was about 25F below actual temp. Either way the Bonavita brew both at spray head and in pre warmed carafe registered 25F hotter than my current drip coffee maker. Coffee is definitely hot. I've ordered a new food thermostat, so unfortunately don't have precise numbers to share.

The bigger notable issue is that the Bonavita has the ability to make a great cup of coffee, but also is very specific to the grind level. Having the correct water temperature is one of the factors of drip brewing, but I found that this unit can also highlight both positive and negative factors of the coffee if the other parameters are not proper. It is not as forgiving as a "normal" low temp drip brewer. I'm speaking specifically about the grind. The grind regulates the saturate/contact time as well as coffee surface exposure with the water. It has taken me about a week on my burr grinder to dial in an ideal grind that gives us the perfect balance of flavor while minimizing unwanted variable such as bitterness etc. We have also experimented with different waters and found some variances but found the the grind is the largest factor in taste (all other factors being equal, coffee same etc..)

Will keep everyone posted with any new observations or changes regarding the Bonavita.
etexlady

Grinder: Capresso Infinity;  Bunn
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Melitta...
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 9:49am

Redbone, what grind do you find works best with the Bonavita?  I have (had) a steel carafe model and was very pleased with the temp of the brew.  However, the glass lining of the carafe shattered and I'm in negotiation to get that replaced under warranty but that's another story.  Anyway, in the meantime, I went back to my Krups Moka Brew and realized what a great cup of coffee that machine produces compared to the Bonavita.  I used the same coffee with each machine but the taste and flavor from the Moka Brew is far superior to the Bonavita.  If I ever get the Bonavita carafe replaced I'd like to give that machine another chance with the correct grind dialed in for it so I'd be interested to hear more from you about your findings.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 5:00am

Redbone Said:

Had the glass carafe version of the Bonavita for a week now (purchased from espressoplanet). I decided to do some temperature comparison with my current drip coffee maker a G.E. grind & brew model that has not seen much use since we only use it at parties (to many parts to wash). Well we found out that my old thermostat stop giving me accurate reads, but that being said it was about 25F below actual temp. Either way the Bonavita brew both at spray head and in pre warmed carafe registered 25F hotter than my current drip coffee maker. Coffee is definitely hot. I've ordered a new food thermostat, so unfortunately don't have precise numbers to share.

The bigger notable issue is that the Bonavita has the ability to make a great cup of coffee, but also is very specific to the grind level. Having the correct water temperature is one of the factors of drip brewing, but I found that this unit can also highlight both positive and negative factors of the coffee if the other parameters are not proper. It is not as forgiving as a "normal" low temp drip brewer. I'm speaking specifically about the grind. The grind regulates the saturate/contact time as well as coffee surface exposure with the water. It has taken me about a week on my burr grinder to dial in an ideal grind that gives us the perfect balance of flavor while minimizing unwanted variable such as bitterness etc. We have also experimented with different waters and found some variances but found the the grind is the largest factor in taste (all other factors being equal, coffee same etc..)

Will keep everyone posted with any new observations or changes regarding the Bonavita.

Posted August 27, 2012 link

I agree. Like manual pour over brewing, the grind size is important. With paper filters I aim for a medium fine grind using a Baratza Preciso or similar size (38mm - 44mm) conical burr grinder. So far this produces a flavor filled pot without stalling.

EricBNC: IMG_1625 500 cg.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
franky

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer/S Maestro+/Zass
Drip: Clarity
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 9:46am

I had my thermal unit break down after 7 months. The light came on but didn't do anything. I was told it was probably the switch, and they replaced the unit under warranty. Things happen, but the switch seems to be unique. I am hoping the switch isn't going to be a problem in the future.
showing page 18 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341943979263)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+