Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 3:48pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

Granite_Stater Said:

I just got mine the other day. The coffee didn't taste as hot as I expected so I purchased a thermometer. I'm getting a water temperature of 185 degrees, 10 - 20 degrees below the standard. Am I being too picky if I send it back? I certainly like the taste of coffee but it is a tad colder than I expected. Exchanging things purchased online is a hassle.

Posted May 23, 2012 link

How are you measuring your temps?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
artdrectr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 3:53pm

Keepitsimple: Not sure what you mean by 'standard'...I think 200 degrees is what the machine is capable of heating the water to. Once the water has passed thru the grounds, it's no longer going to be 200 degrees, right?
But I'd say 185 is still plenty hot to drink!  

I have the glass carafe model.

Granite_Stater Said:

I just got mine the other day. The coffee didn't taste as hot as I expected so I purchased a thermometer. I'm getting a water temperature of 185 degrees, 10 - 20 degrees below the standard. Am I being too picky if I send it back? I certainly like the taste of coffee but it is a tad colder than I expected. Exchanging things purchased online is a hassle.

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Granite_Stater

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 3:58pm

EricBNC Said:

How are you measuring your temps?

Posted May 23, 2012 link

My bad. Rookie mistake. I was getting 185 after brewing in the carafe. I went to Clive's Coffee and looked at the Bonavita/TV comparison and saw that I should be sticking the thermometer in the basket while the coffee brewed. When I did this, I got 203.3 so I'm getting we proper temp.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Granite_Stater

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 4:01pm

artdrectr Said:

Keepitsimple: Not sure what you mean by 'standard'...I think 200 degrees is what the machine is capable of heating the water to. Once the water has passed thru the grounds, it's no longer going to be 200 degrees, right?

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Thanks for the quick response. I just learned I was not measuring the water correctly. I get 203.3 when put the thermometer in the basket while brewing. I forgot to mention, I get OCD over new purchases :). I'm sipping a nice warm cup at the moment.

I have the thermal model.
hankg

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 5:11pm

Granite_Stater Said:

Posted May 23, 2012 link

If you need it to be as hot as possible, preheat your carafe, whether it's the glass or thermal. It will make a difference.

Henry
missy_
missy_
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 7:15pm

Granite_Stater Said:

My bad. Rookie mistake. I was getting 185 after brewing in the carafe. I went to Clive's Coffee and looked at the Bonavita/TV comparison and saw that I should be sticking the thermometer in the basket while the coffee brewed. When I did this, I got 203.3 so I'm getting we proper temp.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Hi, what type of thermometer are you using? I'd like to conduct some temperature experiments myself. I have a thermocouple model.

Also, did you stick your thermometer right where the water was dripping out of the showerhead, right as the water droplets emerge from the showerhead? Mine is a stick type so I think that is as far as it will fit. I don't think mine will fit all the way into the inside of the basket.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 1:42am

artdrectr Said:

Posted May 23, 2012 link

Sorry - what post are you commenting on ???
Granite_Stater

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 3:26am

missy_ Said:

Hi, what type of thermometer are you using? I'd like to conduct some temperature experiments myself. I have a thermocouple model.

Also, did you stick your thermometer right where the water was dripping out of the showerhead, right as the water droplets emerge from the showerhead? Mine is a stick type so I think that is as far as it will fit. I don't think mine will fit all the way into the inside of the basket.

Posted May 23, 2012 link

I'm using a thermometer that has a probe that is about 6-7 inches long. I put the thermometer in the basket but probably not where the water emerges from the shower head. It was probably in the grinds but I really couldn't see. I was thinking that you could also put the thermometer through the steam vents on the top. There are pictures of how they measured the water over at the Clive's Coffee website where the Bonavita and the TV are compared.
missy_
missy_
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 11:32pm

Granite_Stater Said:

I'm using a thermometer that has a probe that is about 6-7 inches long. I put the thermometer in the basket but probably not where the water emerges from the shower head. It was probably in the grinds but I really couldn't see. I was thinking that you could also put the thermometer through the steam vents on the top. There are pictures of how they measured the water over at the Clive's Coffee website where the Bonavita and the TV are compared.

Posted May 24, 2012 link

Thanks for that. I looked at the photos on Clive Coffee and also did a "dry run" putting coffee in and my thermometer in, but no water.

But with the filter basket in place, it is an extremely tight fit! My thermocouple probe is 3 3/4" long. (The entire thermometer is almost 9" so it is a pretty big thermometer.) Even with a probe that short -- and mine will bend at that (it's a folding model) -- there is no way to keep the filter basket from moving out of position during the brew cycle.

So when I view the photos at Clive Coffee, I am uncertain *when* those photos showing temperature of the grounds in the Bonavita filter basket were taken. Were they taken during the brew cycle? If so, I would like to know how, as even in the photo it appears that the filter basket looks moved out of position (and that seems like it would affect the temperature somewhat). Were they taken after the brew cycle had been compete? That would have been too late, so I doubt that, but I know my thermometer is so sensitive it moves every second (though it does have a "hold" feature).

I have also thought of putting my thermometer in a straight position, which I can also do, and sticking it straight through the lid top, down into the grounds. It will fit, and it will get into the coffee grounds; I have checked. But I am concerned or rather curious about whether the heat from the steam rising from the lid may affect the readings. (There is a lot more than I realized once I had a thermometer in place.) Or maybe it would be just as accurate, since the steam itself is coming from the shower head. Or is steam hotter?

I tried sticking the end of the thermometer, since it has the main sensor in the first 3/4" of the probe, underneath the shower head to catch the falling droplets of water just as they emerged from the shower head. Because the rest of the probe is exposed to ambient air temperatures, I wonder if I am getting an accurate reading. (But the rest of the probe does not have that sensitive sensor.)

I get a much hotter reading if I go through the top of the lid top and into the grounds. But then my reading is affected by steam. If I wait until after the brew cycle to measure the temperature of the grounds, that is too late for by then the magic has passed, and if I move the brew basket while the Bonavita is brewing, then I think I may be affecting the brew temperatures. Although this appears to be what Clive Coffee was doing from the photo.

How best to capture the correct temperature of the Bonavita's brew cycle? Your thoughts are welcome.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 5:52pm

Just got this brewer today, and wow, what a difference from my cheapo Mr. Coffee. I have to admit, even with all the rave reviews, I was skeptical about how much different the coffee would taste...especially considering the process is basically dripping hot water over coffee grounds. However, I used the same filter, same coffee:water ratio, and the taste is significantly better. For the first time my palate was able to tolerate black coffee.

Now, I'm wondering what is the best orientation for the filter holder? It seems like, for best saturation, the "long" part of the filter should be aligned with row of 5 drip holes, rather than with the row of 3 drip holes. I haven't seen any mention of this on the forums or in the manual, so I assume it likely doesn't make much of a difference...however, I've seen discussions about equally trivial topics.
showing page 16 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444324016571)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+