Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Kone 3rd Generation
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kone 3rd...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 12:35pm
Subject: Re: Kone 3rd Generation

Bump.

Who all pre-ordered?
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 7:01pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Bump.

Who all pre-ordered?

Posted June 6, 2012 link

I did. I have the Kone 2, but like where Keith went with version 3. More holes towards the bottom and fewer up to to even out brew pressure based on varying sized brews. The ring around the top and the blunted tip add a sense of finality to the Kone. Keith puts out quality products and I am happy to support him and Able Brewing. The brewer looks nice too, although I passed on the chance to pre-order it, as I have enough brewers as is.
Obsess

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder,...
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 11:48pm

A couple noob questions possibly ?

What are the size comparisons for the Kone's filter holes and a typical espresso filter basket ? Why does sediment not pass through an espresso basket when the fines are even much finer ?
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 5:45pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Bump.

Who all pre-ordered?

Posted June 6, 2012 link

I'm in - My Chemex will become Kone-Trey Country...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 6:57am

I'm in. Anxiously awaiting its arrival.

--Josh
AbleBrewingEquipment
AbleBrewingEquipment

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 8:14am

Hello all,
Just saw this thread. Thanks to everyone who has supported the filter project and the latest version on kickstarter. It has been almost 3 years since the first drawing of the filter and I have never been more excited. Every step of the way has been fun and a learning experience for me. For those of you who have either the first or second version, it is because of you that the third exists. All your feedback has brought on the changes and improvements. Also over time I have learned what can and can't be dont when making these filters. I have felt almost a little bad that there has been 3 versions and all so different and released relatively quickly after another. That is because I have been learning along the way and you have helped. The goal was to always make the best coffee possible with a reusable filter. That includes flavor and clarity. Although any reusable filter will result in some fines. The filter project was to see if one could even be made. It was never designed originally or intended for public use or sale. I suppose that is the end result of the versions 3. I think it is the best one out of all the prototypes i have tested, ( I think I am up to 50 different versions ). I am glad that so many of you like the filters and use them. There will be more filters for other brewing devices in the future because of your support. Thanks again.

Also something I have learned along the way and also appreciate is that everyone has their own preference in food and drink. Coffee is just another example of where we can all have our preference. It can be a light or dark roasted coffee to start. And then we can even prefer on how we make and filter the coffee. Paper, cloth, glass and metal are all ways to filter coffee that give a unique taste experience. All have their place in someones home and daily coffee drinking in how they prefer their coffee. I guess you could say I am one who prefers metal filter coffee. But for many reasons. I like the taste, reusable, sustainability and the simplicity of them. But I do love a great extracted coffee from paper filter also. I mean I love great coffee that is extracted well on any brewer or any filter for that matter. That is why we are all here right? Great coffee and great people and community, let's not forget that.

Again thank you kindly for everything. - If any one has any questions or comments for me you can reach me at info@ablebrewing.com - Keith
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 8:49am

According to Able Brewing's page on Kickstarter, the new Kone is now scheduled for August or September, and updates will be broadcast on Twitter (as per the FAQ section).
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 11:01am

Welcome, Keith! <oops, well, to this thread, I mean...> I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us.
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 8:50pm

I'm riding the fence on whether to preorder one or wait to see it first. I really like the idea of the Kone and have enjoyed my v1 although it is a VERY fickle filter and I still have reservations about it.

I do have to agree with Spitz and BarkingBurro somewhat though.

There is a fine line between legitimately upgrading a product and making customers pay full price for a product that honestly has not been developed enough for consumer sales. I believe Coava/Able should have done their homework, tested it's use by John Q. Public and seen the brewed results of regular coffee drinkers using their filter. If they had truly done this I highly doubt v2 would have been put into production, let alone v1. It is truly bad form for a company to use consumers as product development and make them pay MSRP for said product as well. When I got my v1 Kone the first thing I noticed was the near razor sharp lip and I hadn't even used it yet. This would have been the first things I addressed. Companies unfortunately do this all the time to consumers, which is why I generally give a newly released product (of a technical nature) at least 6 months before I seriously consider purchasing it. I worked in the climbing industry for over 10 years and seen companies release what are really prototypes as fully developed products to consumers and then had to deal with it as a sales manager. Not fun.

All I'll say about Apple is that I own an Air, a pad, a phone, a classic and nano pod, love them all but despise Apple for what they (not alone mind you) have done to ruin the American economy. Anyone that buys every new version released from them is truly throwing their money away.

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 9:43pm

theCoffeeScientist Said:

...There is a fine line between legitimately upgrading a product and making customers pay full price for a product that honestly has not been developed enough for consumer sales. I believe Coava/Able should have done their homework, tested it's use by John Q. Public and seen the brewed results of regular coffee drinkers using their filter. If they had truly done this I highly doubt v2 would have been put into production, let alone v1. It is truly bad form for a company to use consumers as product development and make them pay MSRP for said product as well.

Posted June 17, 2012 link

I for one am glad the original Kone was released when it was, since I'll have had the pleasure of better coffee for about two years prior to the release of K-III.  So my thanks go to Coava/Able for not making everyone wait indefinitely: there is no fine line between suitability "for consumer sales" and a perpetual project toward someone's idealized notion of theoretical perfection.  I also don't mind having paid MSRP, since (a) that keeps Able in business long enough to make further advancements and (b) I was glad for the choice to buy it - or not.  It was a great product and deserved refinement, in the most positive sense of that word.

I'm sure that Able will develop even better Kones in the future, so those sharing theCoffeeScientist's view may not be interested in this one.  Plenty of alternatives have become commodities, will never improve further, and are consequently widely discounted.  And cutting-edge products may sometimes have - well - cutting edges.
showing page 3 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kone 3rd...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312592983246)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+